2.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Fault & Second Class Service - Beware, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Tefal VC100615 Ultra Compact 3 Tier Steamer, Chrome (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this steamer in September after an extensive research. One of the most important features for us was that the trays are dishwashable. We were very happy with the steamer, as it is very easy to use and maintain. I cook vegetables in this four to five times a week, and after each time the trays are put into the dishwasher.

However, within a few weeks the handle of the lid started to crack. It got worse and within two months of purchasing, the handle completely came off.

I contacted Amazon but unusually they were unhelpful and did not want to repair or replace it. Even though they have legal obligations under the contract, they wanted the customer to go to the manufacturer. The lady at the customer service at Tefal I spoke to was not keen to 'service' either, and said that they will order a replacement lid once they receive a copy of the receipt. It took a month for it to arrive after I sent the copy, as it was sent from a third party. In the meantime, I was having to lift the lid with a cloth, which is very dangerous. The lid becomes slippery and hot with steam and I have of course burnt my hands a few times.

I have used the new lid for a month now and can see the glue is already weakening. The bottom tray (most frequently used, as you have to put them in a particular order) also has many cracks, one of them serious. I will no doubt be contacting Tefal again in the near future.

The product is meant to be exposed to heat, yet the trays nor the lid are able to withstand it. Given it is marketed as dishwashable and the product being a steamer, the plastic should be thicker and the lid be made in one piece, not two stuck together. Most Tefal steamers seem to have the same design, and I can now see that it is not surprising the handle comes off so easily. I would also have hoped that Tefal (or Amazon for that matter) would be keener to ensure the safety of customers.

It is a product of great ideas, but if you are planning to use it frequently, please be aware what you are letting yourself in for.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jul 2009 11:16:31 BDT
Jojam says:
Under the sale of goods act Amazon is responsible for the replacement of faulty goods.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 20:27:41 BDT
I agree with this as I had similar problems. I purchased the Wahl steamer and that has just died after use only a few times. I don't have the time and inclination to return it so it's going in the bin. I wish tefal would read amazon reviews as this person is correct - the lid should be one complete piece rather than glue a handle that can't take the heat and eventually comes off. The whole thing could be slightly sturdier too. It's a shame as fairly minor details letting down what would be the best steamer out there (heating up quick, excellent even cooking and great results every time -- and easy to use).

Posted on 24 Aug 2011 22:48:13 BDT
Ann says:
I have an old Tefal steamer with the same problem with the lid handle, it came off and I have been lifting the lid off with a fork for years! I'm disappointed to see they still haven't improved the design.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2011 21:13:58 BDT
Celtic Kate says:
I have just posted a similar review, after 17 months all three baskets have lost either one or both lugs so the bases fall out - already had hot potatoes all over me! And the lid handle has come off too. I can't believe that Tefal are so arrogant. I shall NEVER buy anything from them again. My new steamer will be another make and I won't buy anything that could need service from Amazon after reading all the above either.They don't care if we get burns as long as they have our money. I have posted my review on Facebook too.

Posted on 24 Nov 2011 19:48:45 GMT
Kawmron says:
I have purchsed two of these steamers and in both cases the lid handles came unstuck. I stuck both back on myself with some suitable glue and all was well thereafter. There does appear to be a design fault in this area of manufacture. I've had about five years use of my current model (used most days) but the No.1 tray (used more often than the other two trays) is failing with splits appearing under the rim which means it will need to be replaced.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (82 customer reviews)

Out of stock