5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant From Start to Finish, a Masterpiece in Open World Gaming, 26 Aug 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sleeping Dogs (PS3) (Video Game)
I cannot praise this game enough. Sleeping Dogs is the first open world game in a long while for me that has provided everything it said it would, the story is very entertaining, gripping and makes you want to keep playing as you dive deeper and deeper into Hong Kong's dirty underbelly as undercover cop Wei Shen. One big highlight for me is the combat system which makes SD stand out above over open world games, (GTA, Saints Row etc.) as a martial artist you are able to pull off many beautiful visually, appealing moves which makes it that much more satisfying when you win against a handful of enemies. As you continue through the game you are able to upgrade new moves which help you gain a big edge over your enemies.

But hang on there, aside from the main storyline there is still much to do in the form of cases (you are a cop after all), favours for citizens and allies around the city and races; which you unlock when you buy better and faster vehicles (which there are an over-abundance of). Also including fight clubs which range in difficulty and will test your skills as a fighter.

The voice acting is brilliant and the characters involved in the storyline are actually interesting giving the player another incentive to continue playing. I hope I've sold SD to whoever is reading and if you've played it I hope you agree with me. But I guess in the end personal experiences when playing video games always vary between players so please tell me what you thought of the game as it's my personal pick for best game of 2012. WELL DONE SQUARE ENIX!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Oct 2012 21:03:52 BDT
Jayne says:
That was an excellent review - well rounded and the right length! I always end up writing a novel when reviewing and going on and on on like a broken record! Looking for my next PS3 outing and I was thinking about Resident Evil 6 but it has had a lot of poor reviews and I am just not sure about it. Just finished (the incredible) Deus Ex and need a good, fun game to plug the gap. This sounds like a lot of fun (will demo it this weekend) but it seems to have a lot of similarities to GTA4 which is not entirely a bad thing as I did enjoy GTA4 for the most part, but I gave up because it was too hard for me and there was no continue option during missions and I couldn't bear to re-start a mission (which included all the driving) from scratch because I died right at the end. Even the pigeons gave me the run-around! Could you please tell me if there are check-points during missions or is it a case of do-it-all or fail and re-start from scratch again? I understand that the lack of checkpoints was meant to give GAT4 a more realistic, flowing feel but I don't play games for their realism! Anyway, I should definitely get that demo downloaded. I love open world shooters and I haven't played any fighting games in ages, and it would be nice to combine the two. Nico's melee attack was painfully bad!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 00:26:03 BDT
Hey Sky, thanks for the comment and the nice words! To answer your question, there are indeed checkpoints in missions particularly the more difficult and challenging missions. The missions themselves are fairly easy and there aren't any I really had a problem with which is nice as some GTA games are notorious for having missions which make me want to rip my hair out (especially San Andreas) but of course the missions do get harder as the game's storyline advances. I hope that's answered your question Sky and please tell me what you think of it when you get round to playing it, I assure you you'll love it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 10:26:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2012 13:13:51 BDT
Jayne says:
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I am very glad there are check points! I think I will enjoy this game - I had never played a GTA game before No. 4 as I had not discovered the delights of sand box and shooter games during my years with the PS2. It was only when I totally ran out the linear adventure types that I decided to try Assassin's Creed. Then I got addicted to them and went on to complete Red Dead Redemption, The Saboteur, Just Cause 2, Infamous, the rest of the AC games, Deus Ex, Fallout 3 and tons of others. It was only GTA4 that I struggled with. God it was so hard! I gave up during one of the motorcycle missions because they just did not control at all, and the side missions were tough as burnt turkey, too and I kept wrecking Brucie's cars! Shame because I bought the complete edition and I was really looking forward to Ballad of Gay Tony and Lost and the Damned. Oh well, can't win 'em all! I will try the sleeping Dogs demo later. I demo'd Resident Evil 6 last night and have rather mixed feelings about it. Not sure that one will be a buy for me. I am replaying Deus Ex at the moment because I can't get enough of it lol!

Update - Tried the demo at weekend. Freekin' awesome! Started off with a gay Christian (Eastenders) and a Bruce Lee type character having tea and a chin-wag, then it went mental! Great cutscenes, chases, satisfying combat, character models VERY realistic and the shooting mechanics worked like a dream, and the environment was practically buzzing with energy and life. Felt slick to play almost straight away. Yep, it seems to have everything that GTA was lacking. This is definitely a must buy for me, and very soon. Better than that clunky, dark, horrible pile of pap that was meant to be a Resi game. Not impressed with that one.

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 13:01:53 GMT
Avatouir says:
Great review. This is coming to PSN+ as game of the month. Sounds like it's worth checking out (and getting PSN+ for those who have not got it already)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (103 customer reviews)

49.99 9.23