4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Trilogy, BUT only 'Identity' has Significantly Improved Video/Audio over an Upscaled DVD, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Ultimate Bourne Collection [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
If you don't have these films on disc already and have a Blu-ray player, this collection is well worth buying.

If you already own the films on DVD then save your money as I think only the debut feature, 'The Bourne Identity', is worth the 'upgrade'.

Please see my individual in-depth reviews (accessible via a click of my Amazon profile name) for them, which have details on each film, the Blu-rays and a comparison to the DVD - they are dated 16, 17 and 18 Oct 2011 for each disc (in order of their original release date).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Feb 2012 13:51:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Feb 2012 13:54:52 GMT
G. Stagg says:
Your review of the Bourne trilogy stopped me from buying them on Blu ray, I have them on DVD already and I am about to purchase a home cinema system, so your take on the advantage of having the set on BD is pointless, even if they are only 12.99 what do you think.

Graham Stagg.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Feb 2012 14:49:05 GMT
Dear Graham,

Thanks for your message.

If you look at my individual reviews for each Blu-ray (click on my profile name, then the 'See all reviews' link then page 4 of my reviews list) you'll see that I think that only 'Identity' improves the presentation, and then only for picture as most DVD versions of it have DTS already (I have the Region 1 DVD which has DTS, some UK/Region 2 DVDs of it 'only' have DD).

Also, remember that 'Sup' and 'Ult' were filmed handheld so there are in all likelihood limitations with the stock material and as the filming technique of Paul Greengrass promotes a grainy/gritty appearance (as well as the blue/green overall 'hue' for each film respectively !) they don't lend themselves to HD either. I really saw no difference for 'Sup' and 'Ult' on BR vs DVD, especially as I can upscale DVD playback and the sound is perfectly adequate in DD for the final 2 films as there is not THAT much activity in the sound either.

Also, these films are all relatively recent productions so more likely to be of a good standard already....

The notable advantage of each BR is that the Extras add to the DVD, with an often interesting 'Ludlum-based' featurette/documentary which progresses from disc to disc.

Having said that, what appears on 'Identity' is the most worthwhile of the 3.

You say you're getting a home cinema system, so perhaps you cannot yet playback DVDs upscaled ? If that is the case, then why not try your DVDs upscaled first and see if you are happy with them to save a move to BR for each disc ?

If you want another opinion, see the extensive review from the link below, which includes specifications and lots of screen captures :

[I think DVDBeaver is an excellent review site, despite it not always covering the UK editions of a disc...]

Hope that helps and thank you if you gave my review a 'helpful' vote !

Rgds, LW

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2014 19:00:41 GMT
R. G. Archer says:
The Complete Bourne 4 Movie Collection [Blu-ray] [2002] [Region Free]

Laurence, thank you for submitting your detailed and informed reviews on the Bourne Trilogy in respect of BR v DVD, which I read with great interest. You have in your summaries dispelled any possible gains in transfer quality thus preventing me for making the purchase, although I was hoping that BR copies would be much better than my standard DVD set. Having the set of the 3 Matt Damon films all on DVD and Legacy on DVD, I was very sorely tempted to purchase the BR boxed set with UV covering all four Bourne films today as I saw the set in my local HMV store at 11.99 (a bargain you might say). Once again thanks for helping me making my mind up to forego the HMV offer. Thanks also for the DVD Beaver link, which will be useful for the future.
Richard

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2014 19:35:48 GMT
Thanks for your comments, but if you can get the 4 x BR boxset for 12 I'd go for it as it adds that 4th film (which I quite enjoyed) and those UV copies you mention - so the expenditure lessens the premium for gaining the new BR 'extras' I remarked about in my reviews.Plus the best movie I think (Identity) I think is better on BR...

If it were the 3 x BR boxset the advantages are less.

Not forgetting it's my opinion, and if you do buy the BR boxset you might see improvements that I think are absent !

Kindest Regards, LW

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2014 22:13:54 GMT
R. G. Archer says:
The Ultimate Bourne Collection [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

Laurence. Thank you your prompt reply which is most appreciated. Your suggestion has persuaded me to go for it!
What I do find on BR discs is the fact that the brightness/contrast is sometimes too dark especially in cases of low lighting scenes and there are many in these films especially in Ultimatum.
Thanks again.
Kind regards
Richard
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (508 customer reviews)

44.99 12.00