5.0 out of 5 stars solid product, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
I am a frequent air traveler, and I do work in a noisy office (people, fans, air conditioner etc.). I have owned this product for 1.5 months as of now, and I must say that I am very pleased with my purchase. The noise of the fans is drastically reduced, and with the music on, I simply do not hear the people talking in the office. Even with the noise cancelling feature off, they do provide a reasonable quality for both sound and noise insulation. The sound quality definitely increases when you turn NC on.

pros:

- Very good noise cancellation. On air, they let me sleep for hours without discomfort. The engine noise is reduced to a non-disturbing level. Turning music on helps further.
- Good sound quality. It's like a family reunion where everybody wears suits. They will recognize the your favourite songs, but they will sound very different. Classy.
- Dead battery does not stop the music.
- Long battery life, though I never calculated it. With daily use (avg. 2-3 hours of noise cancelling on), I think I get a two-week span. I only had to replace batteries twice since I bought them.

cons:
- Weak bass. For chillout, they are perfectly fine. They will not satisfy heavy bass lovers.
- Ear cups a bit small. I have small ears, so they fit me well, but it might bother some people.

Now, comparison with Bose QC-15. A friend of mine in has them, so I had a chance to use both in the office. As far as the noise cancellation goes, these two perform similarly. It's not that I am praising my own stuff, but I did not sense an noticeable difference between the two. Panasonic insulates sound better with noise cancelling off. However, Bose might perform better in airplanes or very noisy environments. I did not test that.

Sound quality, however, is better in Bose. The sound is more crisp. I can not say Bose is far better, but you do notice a quality difference when you use both headphones. But this product is very very good. Note that I am not an audophile. I generally listen to slow music, and not at very high levels. They are built for me.

I also compared the noise cancellation feature with Beats headphones. I tested both in a very noisy music shop. They are way too expensive, and Panasonic might have performed better even WITHOUT being turned on. They were a total disappointment in that sense.

Bottom line is this: The noise cancellation is very good, build quality is solid, and I like the sound. I would definitely recommend them.

[Add comment]