5.0 out of 5 stars Car navigation, 26 Sep 2008
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 255W Traffic Widescreen Satellite Navigation System with Full EU Mapping (Electronics)
In my eighties now, I have difficulty reading small print on a map. I live in Central Europe and still drive extensively, with my wife.
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 255WT after looking at everything on the market. The Garmin had the brightest, clearest screen. The maps are easy to read and the voiced instructions clear and precise. A wide choice of languages. Programming a destination is child's play, and can be done before leaving the house.
I do not read the maps while driving. I listen to the voice and my wife monitors the LCD display. On a recent trip into a big city I was apprehensive about finding our hotel among the many one-way streets. The Garmin delivered us to the main entrance of the hotel with no problem. As with many modern inventions, I wonder how I ever managed without a machine like the Garmin during my 65 year motoring history.
No bag is supplied, but I bought a close fitting one from HAMA.
We felt the windscreen glass was too far away, and so I mounted the supplied hard plastc disc on to a flat part of the dashboard. The suction foot of the cradle is mounted on that disc. The cradle can be dismounted in one move, for storage elsewhere. When parking I unclip the Garmin from its cradle and carry it in the top pocket of my jacket.
I also leave the glove box open to show that the Garmin is not stored in there. The box contains nothing but paper items and a small tin of boiled sweets !
The machine and its cradle are manufactured to a high standard. Using a USB2 cable plugged into a PC or laptop one can access Garmin's website
for information and help.
Thoroughly recommended as a good buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2009 12:32:12 GMT
What a great review , I hope I am driving around Europe in my 80's. Long may you continue to do so!!!!!!! Warm regards, Anthony

Posted on 5 May 2010 10:19:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 May 2010 10:31:07 BDT
JBN says:
I would like to second Mr Devitt's comment on "Johnny B's" report, as it was indeed an excellent and very helpful review, and in particular the "I also leave the glove box open to show that the Garmin is not stored in there", this being a very sound piece of advice that I am also going to put into practice from now onwards, as although very much a security / safety conscious person myself its thing that until now I hadn't considered doing, albeit that I never leave anything stored in the car on display anyway including "give aways", like something obviously being hidden underneath a bulky cover.

And as regards to the actual Garmin product in question, speaking as a life long technical (electronics) person who possesses the 255WT as well as the older C510, I can say that although some of the other brands may well have a few frills and fancies over the level of what is generally found in Garmins, but for sheer visual / audio quality and general reliability as far as freezing etc is concerned nothing can compare with Garmin sat nav equipment, as although on a few occasions I have been tempted with some other brands like Tom-Tom etc, however the reliability reports (or lack of!) from friends using these other brands confirms my reason for dedication to Garmin equipment.

The only aspect which can be unreliable insomuch that it cannot always be guaranteed to operate correctly is the TMC traffic warning facility, and virtually not at all in many of the North Western areas in the Scottish highlands, this because the reception of Classic FM radio which is the station that transmits the signal, can be very poor in certain areas of the UK, which needless to say is not Garmin's fault.

(PS:- I would like to add that I have no connection with Garmin whatsoever, but just an engineer who appreciates quality, albeit that no piece of electronic equipment exists that can be guaranteed as having 100% reliability for life)

Posted on 13 Aug 2011 00:02:39 BDT
Mr. K. Jones says:
love the tip about leaving the glove box open, oh and im very happy with my Garmin it does what it says on the box..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›