4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 28 April 2011
This review is from: COOLEAD L610WS P2P Wireless IP camera webcam /Tilt 2-ways Audio Mobile Viewing WEP/WPA/WAP2 wireless Wi-Fi Pan/Tilt internet IP camera day and night vision CCTV security monitor With IR-Cut (Electronics)
Summary: Purchased two and was not expecting them to be as good as they are. Overall the picture quality is much higher than I expected it to be and everything appears to work as it should, making these quite a bargain and I might well pick up some more.

Apologies if this gets a little techy, but hopefully it will help purchasers.

The packaging is higher quality than I expected and contains a wall mounting kit. After having a quick play around with the mounting kit it didn't appear that it wants to tighten up enough to stop the camera drooping after a while, though this is an easy fix. Also the power adapter lead is a little short, its about 1m in length.

Set-up is fairly straight forward if using wired Ethernet (I am), default IP address is 192.168.1.126. This may be fine for some home users, but I expect most use the 192.168.0 subnet as that seems to be popular with the majority of router manufacturers. There's two ways of getting to your CCTV camera if like me you're on the 192.168.0 subnet. I did both. I used my laptop and a spare switch and set the laptop's IP address to be on the 192.168.1 subnet, plugged the camera into the switch and configured it from there. The second, and arguably easier way for me, was to plug the camera into the main network, fire up a virtual machine and set the IP address to one on the 192.168.1 subnet and configure it from there. If your virtual machine networking is set to bridged it will work.

Wireless I'm not too sure about. I've a wireless router which I was going to hook one of these into, but I use MAC address filtering, as I suspect most people do and whilst a MAC address is supplied, its for the wired connection. I currently have both camera's wired, but will connect one to the wireless network at a later point, but it would have been good to include the MAC address somewhere. It could be that both the wireless and wired connections use the same MAC, but its unlikely. Keep in mind I've had them for less than 24 hours and briefly browsed the supplied manual.

Logging into the web interface is simple enough, the default port is 81 and you're presented with a menu of browser/platform enhanced views. I use Google Chrome and selected that. It works fine. I also tried the Touch/iPhone and iPad interface and it worked with all of them except my iPhone, but I think that's down to me rather than the software. Most of the settings are self-explanatory, I've also tested the mail and ftp functions and had no problems. The default FTP upload is 10 secs and the picture files are around 40k so should take a while to fill up a modern HDD.

I did try the supplied software using the supplied mini CD-ROM but found it could not be read in either my Mac or the XP virtual machine. I went to the manufacturers web site and it seems there's some others who are experiencing the same problem. You can download the correct (Windows only) software from here: [...]

After installing and starting the software you're asked for a name and code to register the software. I initially couldn't find the code but the software still worked. I later found the code on Page 42 of the user guide. Using the software allows you to store video clips and images locally or maybe a network share. I didn't really try it out as it would mean leaving a Windows VM running continually which I rarely do. I run a couple of Windows servers but am reluctant to install 3rd party software on them. Instead I opted for SecuritySpy and it works fine. I also tested the camera's with the Synology Diskstation (DS211j) Surveillance Station app. The camera is not on the supported camera list but worked with the FOSCOM FI8908W settings.

One thing I did find was that one camera was noticeably sharper than the other, so much so that anything further away than about 3' was noticeably out of focus. I thought it was a problem with the auto-focus system and was going to return it, until I realised that the camera doesn't have auto-focus. Turning the lens noticeably improved the quality of the picture, in fact it was better than the 'good' camera, which is now also set. I don't believe this is mentioned in the manual and my other CCTV cameras are auto-focus hence my confusion.

Hope this review helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jun 2011 11:41:19 BDT
C. Murphy says:
I think the fixed focus can be adjusted by (carefully) rotating the lens on the camera.

Posted on 21 Sep 2011 12:01:01 BDT
K Moore says:
To get the wireless MAC, couldn't you temporarily disable your MAC filtering, allow the device to connect, and get the MAC from your router ('attached devices' or similar)? Once you have the MAC, re-enable MAC filtering and make the new entry.

Posted on 9 Oct 2011 22:33:06 BDT
pigapumbu says:
That link to download the software from easyntech.com does not work. Setting this unit up has been terrible. 3 days on and I still cant get it to work on my iphone, ipad, other PCs in the house.

Posted on 30 Jan 2012 08:02:46 GMT
C. G. SMITH says:
My camera works fine locally , i.e with a browser connected to the camera (Inner Access).

But the web address given http://orye.ipcam.hk just does not work - anybody got a different web address?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2012 10:54:09 GMT
Mr. Cs Henry says:
Try: http://www.easynp.com/Download.asp?id=2

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 18:22:14 GMT
DK63 says:
Thank you for the info regarding the DS211j. Got my camera running spot on with it now.

Posted on 21 Aug 2012 22:54:41 BDT
Gadget Guy says:
You said that you found something on page 42 of the manual.I only got a small sheet of manual .

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 12:38:03 BDT
Mr. Cs Henry says:
I did, it was the code for the software, which I never used. If you need the code let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the manual.

Camera's still going strong, have had one outside the house for over a year now.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 21:37:30 BDT
Gadget Guy says:
Hi,Thank You for your kind offer.But my IP Camera is being sent back.It was D.O.A.So awaiting to see if i can find one that works.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 20:52:40 GMT
hi i no this was a while ago but did you get your camera to work from other pcs
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›