3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you get one that works and are patient, 21 April 2009
This review is from: Navigon 2110 MAX Full Europe (38 Countries) Satellite Navigation System (Electronics)
After reading several reviews on various sat-navs I opted for this one because Navigon seemed to score quite favourably on accuracy of maps and efficiency of calculated routes.

Having now got a working unit I have to say this bears out. The map data does seem to be good - I bought the Freshmaps update (using the 80% discount voucher, which was very good value) and uploaded the 1Q09 maps. Experience so far is that the speedlimit data on these maps is also pretty good (central London / Surrey).

Instructions are clear, although as someone else mentioned it does say "turn left....in half a mile", which can get you a little twitchy if your just going past a turning when it does so. I'm sure this is something I just have to get used to though. I found the Points Of Interest (POI) features quite useful - includes petrol stations, golf clubs etc. not just tourist features.

Routes get calculated quickly and if you do make a diversion it re-calculates the route very quickly and with no drama (I used to have a Garmin that would annoyingly announce "recalculating, recalculating" whilst it worked things out).

However....

My experience has not been an entirely happy one and I found this to be far from a plug-and-play machine. If you don't have much patience this may not be the system for you.

As other people have mentioned the manual is only available online, but this was not a massive problem - a few MB pdf download.

To get going you have to install the interface software on your computer (Navigon fresh I think its called).

Having done this, when you first plug the device into your computer you need to register it (all necessary data was supplied in the box I received) and create an account. To use the features I then had to upgrade the device software twice. Why you can't get a single upgrade I don't know, but it asked me to download version x.x.12, then immediately after got the same message again saying upgrade to x.x.13. This all took me about an hour I guess over broadband.

Following successful registration and software upgrade I then purchased the Freshmaps update service (which involved leaving the Navigon interface programme and going to the online store). Upgrading the maps took about 3hrs, but to be fair it was around a 1.7GB download. I would note at this point that the supplied memory card has only 2GB capacity and I do wonder whether I will need to buy a new one for the next update to be able to maintain full European coverage.

The first unit I received appeared to work fine, but after spending a number of hours going through the above process it transpired that there was a software fault (when you went to 'navigation' from the start screen it asked you to select a map, but then couldn't find any on the system). Having been advised by Navigon support to re-load the maps (another 3hrs) and reboot the device this was still a problem and I had to replace it through Amazon.

I can confirm what other reviewers have said; Navigon support is pretty poor. Twice (via the UK support number) I got through to people who couldn't speak English, but promised to get an English speaking colleague to call back. They actually did so once, several hours after I had phoned.

Once the replacement unit had arrived (and again upgrading/registering everything) I found that it took a very long time for it to find decent GPS reception first time out. I took it on about an hour's drive out of London, and it hunted for reception the whole time. On the return journey it did pick up reception (Tip: it might have helped that I specified the start point this time).

I haven't used the Outlook sync function so can't comment on that.

In conclusion, this is a device that works well once it's up and running and I would be giving it a four or five star review for clarity and accuracy from my experience so far. The sheer amount of messing around to get it set up properly, the slightly clumsy interface software and the poor level of service from Navigon support knocks this down to 3 stars... and might just have someone with a shorter temper flinging it out the window.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]