ARRAY(0xad57cb7c)

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing It Wright!, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Wright Way [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love The Wright Way!
As a nineteen year old who grew up watching fantastic sitcoms - especially Blackadder - I was so excited for this new one from Ben Elton. It's safe to say I wasn't disappointed! It's the first sitcom I've seen on TV in ages that reflects the style of the classics, such as The Thin Blue Line and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. It's a brilliant mix of physical and satirical comedy and was more than enjoyable to watch and laugh at!
So many people my age find shows like The Inbetweeners (and no doubt many others that I've not felt the need to take notice of) hilarious, with their constant use of smut as a form of comedy. I, meanwhile, am more than happy to sit and watch the petty ranting of Gerald Wright about satellite bin bags and push-taps, because it's written brilliantly and David Haig pulls off the role in a genius way. Yes, I'm aware of the innuendo that's woven throughout the series - especially with the acronyms in the health and safety meetings - but it kept me laughing and complemented the humour of the show well, rather than degrading it.
A number of the negative reviews I've seen have claimed that the jokes used are 'old-fashioned' - but so what if they are? That's not a bad thing, in my eyes. 'Old-fashioned' doesn't mean 'not funny'. In fact, it's a hell of a lot funnier than anything else I've seen on TV recently!
The style of comedy used in such greats as Fawlty Towers has been reinvented for modern audiences in an amazing way and it's such a shame it hasn't been fully appreciated.
Sitcom is easily my favourite genre of TV, and The Wright Way is an example of why. It's a witty and genuinely funny show which has been written fantastically, with a great range of characters, all of which are played extremely well by a great range of actors and actresses. It honestly had me laughing out loud, and I know that it was the same with other people my age who watched it.
Mr Elton, sir, you have reignited my faith in British comedy, and I thank you. Please continue with what you're doing, because you are a legend and a genius. It's not your fault that the majority of the British public have forgotten how to laugh like they used to.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]