1.0 out of 5 stars The end is nigh, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rewind The Film (Audio CD)
I Write this as big manics fan but i think it's time the manics called it a day. It's really hard to believe this is the same band that did Generation Terrorists and Holy Bible. This has got to be one of the most boring albums i've listened to in ages.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2013 10:19:34 BDT
Martin L says:
It would be absurd if three middle-aged men had just released an album like Generation Terrorists. They wrote that album as angry young men over twenty years ago. I really, really liked the first few albums by the Manics but had found some of the recent albums to be just good enough. However, I think this new album is terrific and I am really glad that they have made it. They haven't taken the easy route (i.e. just churning out watered-down versions of their glory years) and the result is a very interesting and reflective album.

I have just ordered the CD (and I haven't done that for any album for years).

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2013 13:05:03 BDT
Miranda J says:
I agree. They did what they did back in the day and they were fantastic. Then they grew up and they do what they do now. It may not be to everyone's taste, but their sound has matured as they have and I still love them, because I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself anymore! If you like Generation Terrorists, listen to Generation Terrorists, but it makes me mad when people say their new stuff is bad just because it isn't to your taste. I'll keep buying as long as I keep liking, and I haven't heard anything to stop me liking or buying Manic's stuff yet. Sucks to be a grown up sometimes!

Posted on 21 Sep 2013 19:47:13 BDT
db26 says:
You clearly are not a big manics fan, or you would have come to the conclusions the above two people would have come to. The thought of three middle aged men leaping about wearing balaclavas would be utterly ridiculous.

Posted on 22 Sep 2013 21:50:12 BDT
Koshmar_61 says:
I can only reiterate the above comments - bands evolve as they mature musically and individually. I love the Manics as they haven't turned out the same stuff time and again just to get the payola. They and Radiohead are the true masters of that. When you listen to Generation Terrorists it was an album of its time. The period when they did Everything Must Go was just right for all the topics they covered. When they played in Cuba it was a huge message to the Western world. Everything they have done has been a perfect response to the time it's been done and they have not lost any edge whatsoever. If you get to see them live you'll see how 'boring' they are, but then again as an alleged 'big Manics fan' I cannot believe you don't get it about what they do. A terrific album once more!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2013 18:55:49 BDT
It is obvious that you have not matured like the manics, expecting a band to emulate the sound they made over twenty years is unrealistic. Artists grow and experiment.

Posted on 3 Oct 2013 19:22:51 BDT
I don't think that Soundwave9473 was necessarily saying that they should be producing the same style of music that they did with GT and HB but, instead, that their quality standards have seriously dropped since those albums - an entirely reasonable point of view, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of SATT and Lifeblood, but the last three albums really have been quite poor. It's a shame that people have to bring being 'a real fan' into the debate: it's insulting to think that being a fan requires the ignoring any critical perspective and the courage to voice your own opinion -- something which the Manics would certainly (ideologically at least) have time for.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 22:34:33 BDT
Martin L says:
I can see where you're coming from but I'm not sure that I agree with all your points. Soundwave9473 clearly doesn't like the album but didn't refer to standards dropping. The only comment was that this album was boring compared to the earlier albums. I think it's reasonable to assume that Soundwave9473 would prefer an album which is more similar to those earlier efforts. No-one could say that GT is a boring album.

I do, however, agree with you that it's poor form to say that someone isn't a real fan just because they don't like one album. We are all entitled to our opinions (for instance, I think SATT is so-so but this doesn't make me a heretic) and we should welcome discussion.

I've listened to the album a few more times since my earlier post and am still of the same opinion: this is a terrific album. It is certainly worthy of the critical praise it has received.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (81 customer reviews)

Reviewer