Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars Great books - shame about the measurements, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Hardcover)
Just received these hardback versions of the two volumes of Mastering the Art... Only just published (March 2011) in a nice slip case so I bought them as a present for myself and my partner so we could try out what, by are all accounts, are excellent recipes explained in well-written style. I certainly endorse the point about the writing - it is a model of how clear recipe writing can be, but often isn't. Not tried any of the recipes yet because the books only just arrived BUT the reason I'm writing this review so soon after delivery is that I wanted to warn other possible purchasers of a 'devil in the detail'. Whether the version Amazon UK is selling is really meant for the US market I don't know (?), but I was disappointed to discover when I opened my parcel that the sticker on the front of the pack proudly announces ' NOW CONVERTED TO IMPERIAL MEASURMENTS' Great! So all we UK and European cooks now have to convert temperatures and weights back into metric. It's a relatively small issue and not one to return the books for, but it is irritating when these books are intended for a UK and possibly European market. This may not matter to you as a factor when compared with the undoubted merits of the books otherwise, but it seemed worthwhile to mention it. It also means 4 stars not 5

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Mar 2011 11:35:03 GMT
Diana Benson says:
Many thanks for this information. It is so many years since I used imperial measures I would be as lost with that system as I would with the 'cups' etc used in the USA. I would be interested to learn how people find this book in comparison to Elizabeth David's writing and look forward to reading reviews of the recipes. Thanks again for your helpful review.

Posted on 3 Apr 2011 16:59:17 BDT
Sals says:
I've just read about these volumes in the Sunday Telegraph magazine 'Stella' and it states BRITISH IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS - could there be another version???

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 18:30:14 GMT
Robbie says:
The books were originally published in America and in US measures - when originally translated and retested, the conversion was made to Imperial - don't forget - these books are almost 50 years old now.

When buying the books - make sure you grab the UK version rather than the US to avoid disappointment as there are still some US imports floating around (different coloured covers i believe)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 13:47:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2012 13:54:33 BDT
B. Meyer says:
@ Sals:

For all basic purposes, I treat UK Imperial measurements the same as US measurements (I'm an American living in Germany and have had to convert to metric for over 25 years on top of that).

Imperial fluid ounce is 1.0 fl.oz. in the UK and 0.9607 fl.oz. in the US.

Weight has a bit more error in it between the UK and the US system, but since things like flour and sugar are measured by volume, I don't worry too much about that either. Let's face it... we can't always get exactly the amount of beef (lbs) specified in the recipe due to packaging constrictions when buying. Often, anything extra gets thrown in with the rest while cooking, it still tastes great, and it then becomes "our" recipe. *smile*

So, I suspect the article that you read proudly stating this volume has British Imperial measurements was actually referring to the same US volume. I may be wrong, but that would be an awful amount of money put in to re-editing the entire cookbook to exactly reflect very little change (if any) in the recipes themselves. If the editors really DID do that, well then I'm very impressed and want a copy for myself!

Hope this helps.

Posted on 17 Sep 2012 11:23:06 BDT
M. Lazar says:
Hello, people!!! The book was actually written for americans!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 18:57:36 BDT
realworld says:
Imperial no longer used. As the reviewer states, it's all metric now.

Posted on 1 Jan 2013 00:29:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2013 00:32:31 GMT
Henrietta says:
Oh, come ON! Use your commonsense. Most kitchen scales have a choice of both metric and imperial methods of weighing. It isn't rocket science and you aren't having to translate from some almost defunct language only spoken by a 107 year old grandma on a far off atoll in the South Pacific.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 12:01:13 GMT
jennie says:
Thank you Henrietta I agree being an Imperial and grudging metric person I cannot cope with cups but often use both British methods in the same recipe and without getting confused as well... it works for me. Jennie

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 14:24:23 GMT
M. C. Moulin says:
Great the measures have already been converted back into Imperial for me. Not all in the UK use metric!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 13:26:28 GMT
J. J. Green says:
Speak for yourself! I much prefer the poetry of ounces, pounds and pints rather than the soulless grams and litres of the chemistry laboratory.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›