5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of technology, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch Laptop (Dual-Core i5 2.4GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB Graphics SD card slot (Personal Computers)
Like a lot of reviewers on here, I have used windows for years. My brother recently was given a macbook air as his company laptop and after myself trying it out for half an hour or so I was hooked - so I decided to buy the Macbook Pro.

Whilst I think a lot of people who have used windows for a long time are reluctant to move to mac because they feel they have to relearn the operating system - it is really incredibly intuitive and would take no more that a couple of hours from scratch to get to grips with. That is the thing with apple - they design things to be intuitive. That is why my 4 year old niece can use an iPhone. There are loads of very helpful tutorial videos on the apple website, and great apple forums were I found answers to everything I needed to know.

So if you are in the market for a new laptop and hesitant about making the jump to mac then I will try to explain in simplest of terms on why you should buy a macbook.

I found the most amazing thing on the macbook is the trackpad. Its a small recessed pad in front of the keyboard. This is like your mouse. As with all laptops move your finger around the pad to move the cursor around the screen. However - this is now where things differ. There are no left and write buttons. This is because the whole trackpad is a button. Click on it normally to access apps (apps are programs) and files, use 2 fingers to click and this is like write click on windows and brings down a drop down menu. Swipe between pages on the internet using 2 fingers left and write, scroll pages up and down pages by swiping 2 fingers up and down (none of this moving the cursor to the scroll bar or having to click the back and forward button as in windows). Make things bigger by opening your thumb and first finger. Rotate pictures by moving your finger anticlockwise or clockwise on the pad. Mission control allows you to see all apps and files, documents, emails and everything that you have open. You can access this by moving 3 fingers up the trackpad, and everything open will be displayed. Click one and you instantly move to that app or document. This means you can move between apps and different windows that are open at blistering speed. Have lots of apps open and want to open a new app? Simply use 3 fingers and your thumb and pinch together on the trackpad, and it will access the launchpad - where all your apps are kept. Very cool indeed.
After using the trackpad for a day it makes using an older style pad with 2 buttons seem archaic. It really is nothing short than a complete and utter genius piece of design and I feel something that is overlooked - its one of the best selling points of a mac laptop.

The internet is ridiculously fast. I know this depends on your ISP and your router. I use Virgin Media as my ISP and have a linksys router. I am always connected via wi-fi, never direct. Whole internet pages open in seconds - even complicated ones with moving graphics and videos. I have never seen anything so fast on a laptop before. I sometimes watch films via Lovefilm or Netflix in bed and it has absolutely no problem streaming perfectly in HD.

FaceTime is like a video call. Having used Skype for years I find it dropped out, and the video was slow and clunky. My father has a house in the USA and spends 3 months of the year there. I FaceTime him when he is there and talking to him is perfect, no drop out, audio and video in perfect sync - in HD quality. It is incredible that he is 3500 miles away - its like he is in the next room.

Both iPhoto and iTunes are easy to use and I just find a lot better designed system than windows for storing and organising your media.

The Email is also very well designed. Receiving lots of Emails on various different topics from various people, both business and socially - it can be a bit of a nightmare
organising and finding things. On windows I would either search alphabetically or create sub mailboxes and drag emails into them. Apple have designed a system that does this for you automatically and they are called smart boxes. Create a smartbox - lets say you were buying a new house and every mail to do with buying that house you wanted to file in a mail box. So create smart box "New House". Then go into your address book and create a group that contained all the people you receive mail from that deals with the house sale - solicitor, estate agent, utility companies. Then you are ready to set your criteria. So you set the criteria - "any email from that particular group of people in the last month". Thats it done - all emails to do with the house in the last month go into that box. There are many parameters you can set - such as an email containing a particular word, or from a particular person, in the last week, year. The possibilities are endless, and you can make it as simple or as complex as you like to suit your filing requirements.

"Finder" is kind of like "My Computer' in windows - where you can find and see everything that is on your hard drive in your cd drive, or externally.

The screen quality is second to none, crystal clear and sharp and the audio quality is amazingly good for a laptop. Also - in the brushed aluminium it is one very sexy looking machine and feels like it still wouldn't be out of date in 5 years time.
The only software I did buy is Microsoft office for Mac, because we still live in a world where most documents are office documents and I needed it for my business when sending out and receiving documentation. Its fine - the only gripe I have is you cannot make documents bigger by using the thumb and finger on the trackpad - so still have to revert to the drop down percentage menu. Small detail.

All in all this is one amazing machine. I have owned my macbook for a month now and apart from having a small go on my brothers macbook air, had never used an apple operating system before. Whilst I'm not aged, I'm no spring chicken either - so I just wanted to make clear that I'm no young technically whizz kid when it comes to getting to grips with technology.

I cannot praise the macbook pro highly enough. Yes - they are quite expensive, but when you start using one you'll realise why. I would never ever go back to a windows based PC now. Take the plunge - its worth it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]