Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 May 2010 16:01:24 BDT
L. SMITH says:
What if the parable of the Good Samaritan was Jeus describing what had happened to him? What if he had been travelling from Jerusalem to Jerico and been left for dead by robbers? It would explain his sympathy towards Samaritans; it would explain why his mission started so late in life, following the near-death experience; it would explain his attitude to the priests who walked by; the story is unusually detailed. What do you think?

Posted on 31 Dec 2010 10:40:30 GMT
One of the Father's of the Church called Origen believed that Jesus is the 'Good Samaritan' and the person described is humanity. 'A man' in Hebrew is 'Adam'. He fell from Jerusalem (holiness) to jericho (the curse). A robber attacked him (Satan), left him for dead (dead in sin). Neither the priest or levite helped him because they can't solve the problem of sin. The Samaritan did (the outcast - Jesus). He took him to an Inn (The Church), gave two silver coins to the Innkeeper (silver = redemption, innkeeper = the Pope) and declares 'I will repay you on my return'.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2010 11:54:07 GMT
L. SMITH says:
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It makes a nonsense of the parable, of course. I think Origen and many Churchmen like him sought to describe every thing in the terms of their Christian mythology - they could only see the world through stained glass windows, as it were! A very restricting view, in my opinion. Jesus and all Jews of that time would have seen the world in terms of The Old Testament mythology and there are very few examples of compassion to learn from in that book. I think it needed the real life experience of being helped personally by an "outsider" that gave Jesus that deeper understanding of who was his true neighbour.
You have not said whether you agree with Origen or have another opinion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xac3658b8)

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  28 May 2010
Latest post:  31 Dec 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
How On Earth Did Jesus Become a God?: Historical Questions About Earliest Devotion to Jesus
How On Earth Did Jesus Become a God?: Historical Questions About Earliest Devotion to Jesus by Larry W. Hurtado (Paperback - 12 Dec 2005)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (3)