Customer Discussions > Cars [Blu-ray] forum

a ps3 or dedicated blu ray player

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Apr 2008 19:48:11 BDT
S. Newman says:
Hi! Just dont know what to do, wether to get a ps3 or dedicated blu ray player and then hook it up to a home cinema system. What are you thoughts please people??

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2008 01:27:42 BDT
J. Cash says:
Definitely a PS3, in my opinion it does a better job than a dedicated blu-ray player and u can play video games as well... a PS3 costs 300 which is the same as most blu-ray players and if it does a better job and the added extra of high-definition gaming it is common sense to go for a PS3 and despite what those XBOX 360 worshipers say, it is value for money as it has loads of functions and features as a media centre and all round entertainment system.

Ash

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2008 19:38:23 BDT
C. Haddon says:
It depends. The PS3 is a good BD player, and is upgradable to the current Profile 2.0 standard. The video quality is excellent, and it does a superb job on the DVD upscaling too.

However, the PS3's audio is not up to scratch. Sony's S500 player blows the PS3 out the water with far superior audio processing hardware for the various codecs (such as DTS-HD) - but then the S500 is a Profile 1.0 player, so it may be worth waiting for a new model from Sony at the same level.

It's down to how much you care - the PS3 is a good player, and for most people it will do the job. However, if you have discerning taste, a high quality AV receiver and surround sound set up then it's probably worth going for a stand-alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2008 16:03:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jun 2008 16:11:16 BDT
bridb20 says:
I agree with the previous comments, in that if you're going to spend around 250ish on a dedicated bluray player, why not get a ps3, I have one and it's excellent at spinning bluray discs, it quickly loads them (no waiting like some bluray players) excellent quality, it upgrades via internet wifi automatically so whenever there are new features it's always upto date, so the thing about DTS-HD may be resolved soon anyway. TBH, for the average punter, with an average 10ft x 12ft room or whatever, the basic 5.1 sound is quite enough for anyone and I can't see many people really that bothered about 7.1 TrueHD sound, it's hardly crucial. What's more important with bluray is the Picture quality, and based on my (small for some) 32" 720p TV, using a quality BD like ratatouille, the picture is stunning, so I would not worry too much about 7.1 or DTS-HD (what's next? - 9.1).
If you have a massive room to fill, or even your own cinema room with a projector,then maybe that's when you need higher end gear and as good sound as possible, but for average joe's living room, most people don't mind just 5.1 or dts speaker systems.
Don't forget, as said before, the ps3 is not just a games, bluray/upscaling dvd & music system; it's also a reasonable web browser (not PC standard but okay, I've written this post on it using a wireless keyboard), it is excellent at viewing photo's on your HDtv from an SDcard (if you haven't got a 60gbPs3 plug in a memory card reader in a usb), if you add an external HDD this will then boost your memory hugely and you can store video,photos, and countless mp3's, so it really can be an enormous jukebox and entertainment centre.
Also it functions as a very good messenger and plug in a ps3 eye, you can then video chat for free to anyone else with same gear. Playstation Home is Coming so there's going to be a fascinating experience and community, great if you're a bit bored or want to meet other users.
The Playstation Network (store) is free to use and expanding,you can buy games online or download free demos to try before you buy, or game clips & bluray movie trailers (all in HD)
The list goes on and on...... PSP connectivity, so you can remotely use your Ps3 from any wifi hotspot including any content on your ps3, watchtv,play a game,watch video,listen to music,check your messages, whatever,wherever.... brilliant, if you know where to find wifi, The Uk needs to improve on this aspect and even be a free service eventually.
I can't wait for Play TV which is promising to be the first HDcompatible freeview box add on forthe ps3, allowing you to use the ps3 like a PVR, recording tv to the HDD and then transfering it to your PSP to watch on the go will be great.

The ps3 has transformed my entertainment in so many ways other than gaming or watching movies as it is the center of all my media and used every day.
In this respect it is phenominal value for money. If you want to watch bluray films in HD by all means buy a stand alone bluray player, but you will miss out on so many other things.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 17:16:18 GMT
In response to j cash's reply. The ps3 isnt the best quality blu ray player out there..yes it playes games as well so if thats what your after it will serve you well but there are at leat 3 stanalone bd players that top the ps3's performance and as i have both i can attest to this. I have the panasonic award winning DMP-35 and the picture quality is faultless ..much better than the ps3's sometimes noisy picture. The ps3 is a good solid blu ray player but there are players like the panasonic that are better and upscale standard dvd's much better too.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 17:16:34 GMT
In response to j cash's reply. The ps3 isnt the best quality blu ray player out there..yes it playes games as well so if thats what your after it will serve you well but there are at leat 3 stanalone bd players that top the ps3's performance and as i have both i can attest to this. I have the panasonic award winning DMP-35 and the picture quality is faultless ..much better than the ps3's sometimes noisy picture. The ps3 is a good solid blu ray player but there are players like the panasonic that are better and upscale standard dvd's much better too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cars [Blu-ray] forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  12 Apr 2008
Latest post:  7 Jan 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions