on 2 December 2015
I purchased this as a replacement for my Motion Computing tablet which I use for my cad work both on site and in the office. I can understand for those that see this as a very expensive tablet/laptop, but it is built for proffesional work levels and by comparison to the Motion products its superb value.

The value issue aside its performance and usability is all I could hope for.
I have greater screen space to work on yet still the same overall size as a lot of 12" tablets/laptops
The reversible screen on the keypad it makes my perfect tablet, giving me 8 hours of battery life at half the weight of my previous tablet, when carrying that on one arm all day makes a huge difference!
The Pen is very responsive, accurate and so vital to quickly click commands when drawing or annotating.
At times I have to work externally in direct sunlight yet I can still see the screen if set to full brightness.

I realise this is reflecting a personal use but hopefully it demonstrates some of the professional versatility this brilliant device provides.

It may not be a high end games machine but it will play a few graphics intensive games like Tomb Raider.

Yes, it may appear an expensive 2 in 1 and yes the dollar/pound exchange rate in pricing is disproportionate but that doesnt make the Surface Book any less capable. People pay millions of pounds for a painting which may seem a rip off! but at the end of the day its what you value something at.

And finally Amazon has been the only place I have found that sells the Surface Book in the UK NOW!!! Most websites are saying that it will be April/May 2016 when they will be on general sale here. Maybe there will be a better exchange rate then.
on 24 December 2015
Pros:
beautiful extremely hi res display
powerful processing, with upgrade options to fit your own needs
great keyboard worthy of serious work
touch AND keyboard savvy, unlike apple competition
easy ability to turn into tablet
long battery life with two batteries, larger in base, smaller in tablet
two usb 3.0 ports, SD card options
excellent sound for a laptop
extremely fast boot, wireless connection
price is not out of line with value

Cons:
SD card sticks out about half an inch, but there is an easy workaround: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012F8ALBC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 All you have to do with that adapter is lightly file away the two nubs on the ends, and it fits beautifully into your Surface Book.
not really a con, but you have to immediately perform windows updates when you begin using the Surface Book.

Like all technology, there will be even further improvements down the road, but I would not hesitate in purchasing this version of the Surface Book Highest of recommendations.
on 1 January 2016
Beautiful looking and practical laptop. Probably the best designed laptop available on the market to date however the Windows 10 OS is buggy with this device with system hangs, bitty WiFi not returning from sleep properly and I had to send my unit back as the SSD disappeared and I could not even factory reset it.

Once Microsoft iron out all these issues with future updates it will be a perfect device. I really hope that Microsoft sort these out sooner rather than later and not let Apple get yet another foothold in this sector.
on 16 November 2015
Please don't listen to the other one star reviews, i have tested and tried the surface book for few weeks and it is absolutely amazing for what you get.

Pros:
+ The Surface Book feels so good to use, you can use it as a laptop, tablet or even like a drawing book if your into art
+ The touch control and drawing aspect is better than a Wacom Cintiq 13HD tablet - very good for drawing
+ Whilst this may not be used for high end gaming (you can play games though) , this is perfect for professional, work and casual use
+ The Specs are really good and all programs and apps will run lightening fast with the i7, 16GB spec.

- Cost is very expensive

Overall what you are buying is not just a 'tablet' or a 'laptop', your buying yourself an extremely useful device that can pretty much do everything with the advantages of having a full Windows 10 OS, for Mac users you can still have Max OS as a dual boot too. This is by far one of the greatest devices Ive used and even though the specs may not be up to standard of high end gaming laptops, what you are buying is an ultimate tool and has the best portable and comfort zone, you can take this anywhere, watch movies, play games, draw, record, edit and more.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
If you need the power of a very powerful desktop inside of a laptop then this is the one for you - it hands down beats any MacBook Pro ever built, but seriously, before you buy this, ask yourself if you really need this much power from a laptop - when I do video editing etc then I'm always at my desktop, I just didn't need this type of power but wanted a windows laptop/ tablet - for me I believe the best buy would be a surface pro 4
on 17 April 2016
What a stunning bit of kit - Microsoft has finally got something that is better than Apple without any question! I thought I had found a fault in the keyboard because it's hard to see the letters in sunshine, but now that I have discovered you can toggle the backlighting with the F1 & F2 buttons, even that is sorted. Virtually impossible to criticise this machine, it's excellent.
If you are flying soon, I got the I7 256G version for £1,200 in Dixons at Heathrow - yes that's £599 less than the official price and over £400 less than it's available for on Amazon UK at the moment. And as a business purchase, it includes VAT so is an absolute bargain.
Very pleased!!!!!!!!!
on 18 May 2016
Well made, good looking, fast laptop. easy to carry and with a reversible or removable screen useful as a, rather oversized and heavier than usual, tablet. Excellent battery life (batteries in both the display unit AND the keyboard unit) and it runs like lightening. Only drawback is the limited offering of the Windows store. (this replaces a droid tablet, which as far as download shop is concerned is vastly superior). Connectivity is a doddle, using the desktop dvd drive to access things on disc, home network, wifi connectivity, wireless printing all connect without thinking about it. In all, an expensive but relatively decent piece of kit.
on 26 December 2015
There was the odd hiccup when I first got it, but after a few updates it's a perfect device! Fantastic for my needs and looks professional so helps my image when dealing with clients! I got mine from Amazon.com and got a relative to bring it over the pond from America. Was much MUCH cheaper this way!
on 4 March 2016
Handles everything I throw at it, even my bad programming at University. Even when under load and the fans are blowing they are hardly noticeable. I had a small issue with a buzzing from the Audio Port, though this seems to be sorted in my replacement device, and the few days I was without this laptop I sorely missed it. Feels good to use, runs well, generally a great machine and I just can't get over the lovely high DPI screen and Facial Recognition to login.

This Laptop has even dragged me away from my Desktop for just normal work, even a couple of games this device can handle quite well when set up properly, it also runs emulators really quite well making a lovely little retro game station to play all my old games while on the go.
on 30 April 2016
When the laptop initially arrived, I thought I was in trouble. It crashed a lot while I was trying to update it. However once all the updates were completed, the laptop has worked a dream. Really quick and the screen is amazing. Typing on the keyboard is a dream and really responsive. The build quality is amazing and justifies the price point.

I haven't tried it in tablet mode yet so can't comment.