Colour Name: Gun Metal|Change

on 27 December 2015
I got these for Christmas and I'm very impressed. They are my first Audio-Technica headphones and the sound quality and details are fantastic considering the price they are.
Had a pair of Bose which were failing to bits and thought the sound quality was great there, but these are in that the bass is not over driven like Beats...the Mids and Tops are detailed without being painfully bright. The separation is excellent too, the build seems solid and not plasticy like Bose. It has punch when called on, no distortion and clarity this there in abundance....Totally recommend.
on 28 May 2015
A great sounding pair of headphones, I use them at work in an office environment with a high background noise level and they are perfect, good isolation and comfy for long listening sessions. Recommended.
on 24 February 2015
Wow! I was looking for a closed back headphone to give me a similar transparency, airiness and instrument separation that I enjoy with my Sennheiser HD 650s. I have the NAD Viso HP50's but they have always been a little disappointing and veiled. It was other positive reviews that encouraged me to try again. I purchased directly from Audio Technica to take advantage of their no-quibble money back 30 day guarantee. I said to myself that if they don't wow they are going back. Needless to say I shall be keeping them.
on 23 September 2015
wow these are worth every penny! the sound is incredible and it picks up every instrument in the song. I also use them to watch netflix and the small details they pick up is stunning. they are so comfy and block out all surrounding noise. the different length cables are really handy to. Beautiful presented and a handy bag to keep them it.
on 29 May 2015
Great build quality. Great sound. Definitely worth the price. However, they can get pretty uncomfortable, especially if you have a large head; these will clamp your head with great force. I've stretched them out over the course of a few weeks so they are better than when I first put them on, but the clamping force is really noticeable.
on 23 May 2016
I bought these as a replacement while my AKG 812 was being repaired (Flexible conductors in the head band had failed. Expensive to repair. Make sure you have a warranty). First the good news: speach, unsung, is comparable with AKG with the exception of the highs being a bit too sharp. Especially noticeable on t, th and s with the female voice. The effect is more pronounced with the Denon USB300 DAC; the Aune is less sharp - perhaps the effect of having a tube. The mids are good. It is also easier to drive.
Unfortunately, musically, it can not compete. The sound stage is much reduced. The seperation of instruments is simply not there. The articulation of the nuances of the human voice are missing. It is this last point which is important to me. I am surprised by the amount of emotional content that is carried by the higher harmonics. I would say that as far as overall frequency response is concerned it is about 98% the same as the AKG, but for me it is in the 2% that much of the musical magic resides. I can understand why others think highly of these headphones; someone else would give it four stars in comparison. They are good for the price. I am simply highly demanding.They get added to my collection of lesser headphones.
on 7 March 2016
So I purchased these over a month ago, I did not want to write the review straight away because we all feel somewhat giddy with new tech.

I've had decent headphones before. but I wanted to spend around £150 and get as good as I can. I read plenty of reviews and decided on this set. I'll be brief.
When I first tried them, I did NOT like them. The first lot of music I used to test them with was progressive/instrumental modern metal. They were a definite no from the get go. The treble was far too sharp, the mids were OK and the bass was lacking. There were also not comfortable. The band that runs through the middle of the headphones seems to be entirely metal, so it has a fair amount of clamping pressure on your head.
However, I got use to the sound of them and tried different styles. These are definitely suited for more "pop" music, and I'm saying they just have lots of bass. Music that has been well mixed and mastered sounds absolutely fantastic on these headphones. Once I compared them to my previous set of phones which cost me £100, these were no doubt the absolute winner. They were also compared to a set of Bose Comfort headphones that when purchased new cost close to £300, the Audio Technica won hands down on every test.

It seems to be that these headphones don't apply themselves well to "extreme" music. I have a very wide music taste, I've learnt to tolerate them for my metal listening habits (Tested with Intervals, TesseracT,Architects,Northlane). If that's the kind of music you're into. Look elsewhere.

Pretty much everything else, they absolutely shine through.
I do like my pop music, from 70s to modern era pop. Including a lot of rap. Early rock and progressive (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep) They REALLY lend themselves to.

Too long didn't read:
Pros:
Very well balanced sound, lend themselves well to MOST music that is well mixed & mastered.
Used for gaming a few times, sounds excellent very immersive.
Build quality is exceptional, comes supplied with a soft bag and 3 detachable cables!
Love the style
No AMP/DAC is really needed. Through my iPhone 6 they're driven very well. I do have a headphone amp for my PC because the headphone output is very weak.

Cons:
Doesn't apply itself well to "aggressive" styles of music. If heavy metal is your thing, these aren't.
Clamping pressure on your head really is quite hard. I didn't notice at first but with lengthy listening sessions you really feel it and have to take a break

Would I buy again? Probably, don't know. Although I am very happy although for the money I don't think you can really find better. Maybe Beyerdynamic, but you'll need a seperate amp for them.
on 16 March 2015
Love audio technica and love the new headphones. Very comfy around the head with the padded headband. Ear cups are very soft and don't hurt even with all the piercings I have on ears. Sound is pitch perfect can't fault at all even dropped weights on them left a very slight mark. Good job there build is fantastic.
on 22 June 2015
This product should certainly put Audio Technica back on the map. I can honestly say that these are the best headphones that I have ever listened to. The sound is incredible. Each and every instrument is clear. The only downside with the level natural sound is that the bass and treble aren't as defined as some headphones. If you listen to bass, R&B or house these aren't for you. A great product which is discreet, easy on the eye and great for commuting, as the pads are very comfortable and there is barely any leakage. . Critics say that compared to other brands such as Sony and Senheiser these headphones sound "flat" personally ths is not an issue.
on 3 September 2015
Really is a fantastic pair of headphones.

I had no issues with clamp force that many others have mentioned and the sound quality has been just what I expected.

They look lovely and completely serve their purpose.