TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 November 2014
WHITE
=====
I prefer this in white, but if you do need it in a more 'masculine colour' it is available in silver. Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1UT 15.6-inch Notebook (Silver) - (Intel Pentium N3540 2.16GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB, Windows 8.1)

INTEL INSIDE
============
I'm getting a little confused with the Intel chips, which are the best? slowest? newest? After a little research this is a mid range processor that was released in the third quarter 2014. (ie now)

IS IT FAST?
===========
Well, it's not slow but it's not a super speedy ultrabook. It's able to play games, and for normal activity this is just fine. I ran some tests and the only thing it struggled with was 3D rendering. Everything else was perfectly acceptable.

PORTABLE
========
It's just under 3 KGs. I think it looks rather nice out and about. The size (15.6) is perfect for transporting and the battery life isn't too bad.

STRENGTHS
=========
Its main strengths are in it's sturdiness, the 1TB hard-drive, has HDMI and USB 3.0 ports. The sound is also worth mentioning.

SOUND
=====
A deep, rich bass. When watching a film the dialogue really really clear. Very crisp.

DISPLAY
=======
I think it's ok. Not fantastic. That said, it's not too poor, just OK.

TARGET AUDIENCE
===============
Mid range general use. It won't disappoint. For gamers, developers, video editors you will need to look elsewhere.

LOOKS
=====
The chassis looks sleek and modern. Pretty in fact.

WINDOWS 8.1
===========
I may be the only person who likes windows 8.1. But it performs very well on this.

KEYBOARD
========
Responsive. I actually got to like it the more i used it. It's not backlit, which I prefer.

HEAT
====
After a few hours of use the laptop was slightly warm. No overheating.

WIFI
====
No issues. No drop outs. Good.

SOFTWARE
========
A little is included, but not tons and tons of bloatware, which I appreciate.

OVERALL
=======
Looks good, is slim and lightish. And quite good value for the price.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Yes. Hope this was helpful, any questions I'll try to help. Just post a question.
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2015
I have had this laptop for a couple of weeks now and find it very good. Of course I had to spend a long time uploading all the Windows updates since the PC was initially installed with Windows 8.1. It is pretty fast and has good storage.

If I have one complaint it is that Windows 8,1 doesn't suit the use of a touchpad. It it designed for a touchscreen tablet and so if you dither slightly when scrolling the touchpad then Windows thinks you are hovering and opens up a window or website that you didn't want. I am slowly learning to live with it but I find the touchscreen slightly rougher in texture to that of a Mac and this prevents clean sweeps of your finger.
on 29 January 2015
Bought this to replace an old desktop, that ran windows xp. Much preferred the xp version than the new one.
Very happy with the laptop though, but I have decided to use my old wireless mouse with it, as the touchpad is far to sensitive.
Overall a good buy, just loses the one star for the touchpad.
on 5 January 2015
Excellent Product .Well made. Easy to use Keyboard. Sound Quality surprisingly good. Big improvement on my old ASUS Laptop.
First class delivery service.
on 25 March 2015
Decent laptop with regards to performance but the build quality is awful. I have had this laptop for 3 months now and the case screws are falling out (four to date). The case opens to almost a centimeter wide when closing the screen and I have to push it back together. The monitor now wobbles. Check video on youtube

I phoned very.co.uk retailer, they wouldn't help (should have bought of Amazon) then I contacted Toshiba who, admittedly even by a manager there, was rude to me and told me that screws don't just fall out and there was a good chance I would have to pay £65 just for them to look at it.

After owning it three months I feel that is disgusting. I have a HP which is solid and used to have a Vaio that lasted for years with no problems. Simply put, this is a laptop made of decent components but terrible materials.

Kept on a desk and looked after.
on 2 June 2015
Very happy with this model but can't say more for gaming or software developers level of use. It has a pretty sleek built, its performance in video streaming is well very good. For under 300GBP, it is a better buy than a tablet! Delivery was as usual fab!
on 23 February 2015
very good laptop well worth the price
on 9 February 2015
was worried after reading a few reviews but still went ahead and got one. absolutely love this laptop. not slow at all. sound quality is superb.
on 10 June 2015
Excellent build and spec for the price, HOWEVER... a word of NOTE! There is NO CMOS battery installed in this (and maybe other models). on arrival i had wondered why the battery was secured with SCREWS and not the usual quick release clips. I now KNOW why. The battery ALSO acts as the CMOS battery, therefore its removal takes away power for the BIOS. SO,.... when you put it back in again and power up, you get a message RTC IS LOW, (which is a bit misleading), and you then have to enter the BIOS and set it all up again. OK, i appreciate that you wont be removing your battery very often (in fact probably never, unless to replace when exhausted) but without knowing this, I created a return to Amazon, who duly despatched a replacement next day. It was only by removing the battery from the replacement and then putting it back in again... yep, the same result.. RTC IS LOW., and the BIOS needing set up again.

Why did i remove the battery in the first place? because you have to remove IT and the WHOLE BACK COVER in order to access the hard drive and memory etc, and i was swapping out the Hard Drive, in order to install a SSD.

That aside, i give it 5 stars for performance, i'm not going to knock any stars off etc, as i can see other manufacturers maybe going down this line, as they dont then have to pay for the millions of CMOS batteries for their products, which considering a CMOS battery, even if it cost a pound per battery, would save them MILLIONS!
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2015
computer recommendable. Good product at its price!