5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ. It's free, so what have you got to lose?
Absolutely loved this book! I'm so glad it's free on the Kindle Store. I especially love the system for using magic that John Forrester has used- it has powerful effects, but can consume and destroy the caster. Nicely balanced :)

Published 8 months ago by Draven

3.0 out of 5 stars Potetialy Good, Poor Grammer and Production
Published 24 months ago by Mr. Steven Fynn

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ. It's free, so what have you got to lose?, 20 Sept. 2014

The characters are interesting and I can't wait to see the development of the main Protagonist and his Royal Friend (Not giving away any spoilers!) throughout the series. The plot gripped me almost as soon as I started reading, and now that I've finished Fire Mage, I've bought the next two in the series and plan to buy the rest.

My thanks to Mr Forrester for this fantastic series, and I look forward to reading more of his work in the future.

I would strongly recommend this book to anybody interested in magic fantasy books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 16 Dec. 2012
I have just finished Fire Mage and felt the need to review it!

If you are a big fan of vividly painted other worlds and fantastical quests like me, you will love the story!

From necromancers, magic, gods & goddesses, to treacherous forests and ancient maps, this book covers a great lot of myth and folklore, while you follow the misfitted and colourful group of characters on a fated quest with a magical sword, to the enchanted island of the goddess in order to save their city from the Jiserians and their army of undead soliders.

I have just picked up sun mage and i am looking forward to continuing the adventure!

Buy the book and give it a chance, I'm sure you wont be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Potetialy Good, Poor Grammer and Production, 5 Jun. 2013
Mr. Steven Fynn (Spain) - See all my reviews
First let me say that I am an adult and avid fantasy reader, so do often turn to books for the younger person to fulfill my needs. About the book first I feel that it has the makings of a potenially good story but fails. There is no indication of the targetted reading age so I assume it must be teens. For this story to be for this age group it is very lacking in substance as it is very simplistic. I therfore consider it to be for the pre-teen market, for this the pace and content is good. I would expect the story to have continued further than it does,if printed in a more commen smaller type face and without the padding of additional space between lines the whole story as printed could have occupied about one third of the pages (i.e. very short) My biggest problems with the book is that it gammatically poor with tenses being mixed,and incorrect sentence structure. Both of these distract from the reading enjoyment even for a pre-teen book. Here the Editor should have done thir job and had it corrected. The proof reader has done a sloppy job also as there are repeated words and even a complete paragraph repeated at one point. I have purchased the first three books at once from Amazon and wish I had not, as the second Sun Mage appears to have the same problems as this, and my partner who has now read all three agrees with me, as even the third book is also of as low standard and also still fails to complete the story. Is this writer just publishing short extractions as books to increase thier profits I ask myself? It certainly would seem so. Finally do you bye it not for me it expensive for what you get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the illustrations, 17 Jun. 2014
I really liked the illustrations in this, and thought that was a nice touch. However, I do think this should be pitched as a child's book as the writing is very basic and the premise simple.

This is a good, typical quest story - monsters, heroes, gods and creatures, but I don't think I'll read any of the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fire Mage, 16 Nov. 2013
Although his book was well written it was a little boring and a bit predictable.
The book had all the makings of a really good read, interesting storyline, and good characters that had the potential to spark imagination but the characters seemed to falter at the development of their personalities. The author should expand these characters giving them depth and pay less attention to childlike attentions and behaviours.
The descriptive parts of the book, on the local area, or temples was excellent, but it glossed over potential dangers and difficult situations, tending to be more descriptive of who did what without adding much to the book.
Unfortunately when it did start to get interesting the book ended and it left me loathe to buy the second book in the series (the first one was free) in case it continues in the same vein as the first.

3.0 out of 5 stars While the concept is good either the author or editor has been to be ..., 2 Aug. 2014
While the concept is good either the author or editor has been to be blamed for discontinuity between chapters. There isn't enough fleshing out of the storyline.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of depth, 15 July 2014
Does very little for the imagination. The writer needs to focus on painting the picture in more detail, including the environment within which the story develops.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame!, 31 Dec. 2012
After reading the description of the book I was really looking forward to reading the series. The basic premise sounded a good one and I felt it had the potential to be developed into an exciting and captivating story. Unfortunately the author failed to make his characters real, they didn't live for me, coming across as one dimensional and completely flat. The dialogue was uninspired and lacking depth. The descriptions didn't bring the world to life and I found myself struggling to see the images described. Perhaps the worst thing of all was that the author failed to catch my interest at all, I just didn't want to turn the page to see what happened next! I read a couple of reviews which rated this book very highly and influenced my decision to buy it so I felt I needed to put in my review to urge caution to other readers considering buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire mage, 8 Jan. 2014
I think that this book is a really good novel to read if you are trying to pass long car rides or if you just want to read a really good book. I loved this book and I am going to buy Sun Mage as soon as I can. I would recommend this book to people that are trying to get used to reading books on a kindle or plainly anyone who loves fantasy books. Well done John Forrester.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book. Can't wait to read more! Will not disappoint., 11 July 2012
Fire Mage by John Forrester is a book about sorcery, rivalry, love and war. It is the first book in the Blacklight Chronicles. Fire Mage is a fantastic book. I've always been a fan of fantasy books, so if you like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc you will love this book just as much as me.

Fire Mage is a really easy book to get into, and once you get into it, you're hooked. It's a short book, but perfectly formed. I found it to be extremely immersive, the description created vivid visual scenes which at times made me shudder and twitch. The characters are wonderfully formed, and I can't wait to learn more about them as the series continues.

This book is good for readers of all ages, children will love it, but it has pleasure in it for adults too. It's not lacking in anything at all, and I thought it's short length was perfect. It is just the right length to pick up and read. I did get to the end wishing there was more to read, but that can be easily solved by buying the next book! And as these books are such good value, there's no reason not to buy all of them!

I will definitely be reading the rest of the series! I can't wait to find out how this story continues! You definitely will not be disappointed if you buy this book.