5.0 out of 5 stars Very good but very short
Published 17 months ago by Nikki McKay

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute read, but slow start
Published 4 months ago by Julia Ember

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good but very short, 15 Nov. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and my only criticism is that it was just too short - I read it in a few hours. As the next instalment in the series is not out, I now endure a frustrating wait. That said, I cannot complain about the length as for 77p, it took me into another world. The story: Jaevid is half-elf, half-human, despised by both communities. His mother dies and when he is 12, he goes to live with his father and father's family (who all despise him). Thankfully, this episode of our hero's life only lasts for a few pages before, for some reason - not made clear - a dragon rider takes him to an academy, he stumbles on a wild dragon in chains and threatened with maiming, and is accepted as that dragon's rider. At this point he gains strong champions and strong themes of integrity and courage begin to emerge in our hero along with some strange abilities. I enjoyed the description of Jaevid's development into someone who, despite being scared, pushes himself to step up. Strong characters and some interesting themes coming out. I look forward to the next instalment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute read, but slow start, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit that for the first thirty pages or so, I was fairly skeptical. While the world was unique, the beginning felt exposition heavy and almost like the outline of a story. The main character, Jae, takes us through a sequence of events in his early life – explaining his societal position as a halfbreed – part hated grey elf, part human. The newness of the world held my attention, but I wasn’t loving the plot pacing or the writing style.

However, once Jae joins the Dragon Academy, I really got into the story and the writing got … punchier? Less exposition, way more action and the author has a great ear for dialogue between teens. As a main character, Jae is endearing: he’s too small, doesn’t fit in, treats animals with respect and dignity, brave and sometimes rash — and has a pet dragon who can speak to him through his mind. His roommate and best friend, Felix, never failed to make me giggle with his theories on flirtation. The author really made me believe in the world of the Dragon Academy, and filled it with a whole range of awesome characters. Once I got into the plot, I really fell in love with this. Perhaps as a horse rider myself, I have a bit of a soft spot for Riding Academies as a setting.

Possibly a little bit too similar to How to Tame Your Dragon. Jae and Hiccup have a lot of overlap: both are physically small, outcasts in their society and befriend a wild dragon everyone else views as untameable. The saddle design also had strange similarities to the one Hiccup designed specifically for Nightfury. I don’t know if that was the inspiration or not, but those examples stuck out to me.

End verdict? If you can manage the slow beginning, you’ll enjoy the book. Fledgling is a cute and an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed., 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Jaevid is a halfbreed, he is half grey elf and half human. When his mother dies, she names his father as a local man, and now that man has no choice but to take Jaevid in. Jaevids future looks bleak because halfbreeds are looked down on, that is until Jaevid gets the chance to go to Blybrig, the Dragon-rider Academy, to help his father.

One night Jae goes off in search of food. He hears a sound from the strange building he saw when he first arrived. He goes to the building an peeks in. Inside is a magnificent dragon and Jae is mesmerised by it. He sees Sile Derrick, a dragonrider, in there. Sile begins to tell him that this dragon is a wild dragon and not one bred at the Academy. Its been a long time since a wild Dragon chose a rider and no one can seem to tame this one. Jaevid feels drawn to it and gets closer. The dragon responds to Jae and from that moment Jaevids life changes. He is thrown into the world of Dragonriders and when he uncovers a plot to kill Sile, no one believes him so Jaevid is the only one who can help him.

I adore dragon books!! They are my favourite mythological creature so when I saw Fledgling, I immediately added it to my list. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to read it too because, while aimed at younger readers, I still really enjoyed it.

Plot wise we didn't see much action till the end. Its a little slow going but I attribute that to the fact its the first in the series. There's a war going on between grey elves and humans but we don't learn much about why it started or whats happening with it. Its supposed to be why the Dragon riders are needed yet its never really discussed. I would of liked a little more history and background of the war.

Poor Jaevid!! He has such a tough time. His mother died and his father and his family hate him! They treat him really bad. My heart broke for him. Jae is hated by both Grey Elves and humans because he is part of each and gets treated like he is the lowest of the low. Yet he is kind, honest, brave and a true hero. He is so happy to become a Dragonrider because he thinks it may give him respect but people still frown upon him. His whole life is a struggle to be accepted and liked. He has one friend in the academy, Felix, and even though Felix trys to protect him, Jae still gets bullied. I was rooting for him the whole time!

Then we have the Dragons. Mavrik is Jaes dragon and he is magnificent!! I loved reading about them and loved Jaes bond to Mavrik. Most of the other riders don't have the same bond because the dragons didn't choose the rider so Jaes bond is special.

Overall I really enjoyed Fledgling. It shows us that its not always the biggest that can be a hero! It was a nice, fast read and I'm really hoping that we learn more about the Grey Elves, the war and the Dragons in future books because this series has the potential to be really great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon meets Lord of the Rings kind of Adventure!!! Loved it!!!, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***Received the book as part of a tour for Avian (book 2) for an honest review

The cover is awesome. I love the dragon on the cover, and I think kids will be drawn to it because it reminds me of how dragons are depicted in video games like WoW.

Okay, I wasn’t sure what to expect in this book because Nicole Conway is an author I have never read before, but I know from the first time I saw the cover and read the blurb that I wanted to read it. It definitely exceeded my expectations, and I loved reading it. The book is like the movie Eragon meets Lord of the Rings kind of vibe…well at least to me. :)

I love Jae’s character because even though he is treated badly and abused by just about everyone he is so brave and loyal to the few people who are very worthwhile friends. He is so tenacious and never gives up. This is so hard to demonstrate to high school students. I know in high school, there is always so much strife and mistreatment from student to student going on, and when one of my students is upset, I always ask them if the person is their friend. When they tell me no way, I tell them then why care what they think? Don’t let someone else ruin your day or your image of how you think and feel about yourself! This was not something anyone ever told me in school, and I had to learn it much later in life.

Felix is another awesome character. He will not stand for someone picking on or hurting one of his friends. He comes from money but does not let that define who he is. He lets his actions speak for him.

Of course, you can’t leave out the fierce dragons who are awesome all by themselves. Mavrik sees something in Jae that no one else did, and they have an amazing partnership. I try not to give specific details in my reviews because I would never want to spoil your adventure into reading this book :)

Nicole Conway does a fantastic job creating her world and describing it in a way that the images fill my head while reading. I can’t wait to read Avian next.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves reading dragon books! I especially think this will be a phenomenal addition to my classroom library when I can afford to buy this series. I’m sad to say it, but my classroom library is severely lacking in content to attract high school boys into reading, and I think this book would help in this area. My high school students get such a kick out of me sharing my books with them, and they are even more amazed when they see that an author has signed the book and that I still share it with them. I will be reading this book again with my son in the future :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fledgling(thedragonrider chronicles), 11 Nov. 2013
A very good read more for younger readers im an adult but still enjoyed the story roll on the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 22 Nov. 2013
Loved this book! I just wish it had been longer. I cannot wait for the next one :) Hopefully it will be out soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, looking forward to book 2, 1 July 2014
I would like to thank Month9books and Nicole Conway for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I started this book in the flight back from Sharm El Sheikh and I couldn't put it down.

Jaevid is half while elf and half human he is hated by both sides. Jaevid never felt he fit in anywhere, he was protected by his mum up till her death when he was 12. Thrown with his human father and his step family he was always on the outside, until his father takes him to where the dragon riders are trained, here he meets a wild dragon and they build a bond.

Jaevid is sponsored by Sile in the academy, having a perchanct to get into trouble at every turn he meets Felix and they become firm friends. Here starts a fantastic adventure where the two learn about friendship and trust.

The book would be aimed at a younger audience than myself but I loved the adventure and the characters were easily believeable. I get the feeling there is a lot lot more to come from this series of books and I am looking forward to book 2. Book 1 was tied off nicely but left me certainly with some unanswered questions.

If you like a fantasy read that isn't tied down with too much sex, being a young or older reader this is for you, nicely written from a young males POV, It is refreshingly different with, elves and dragons along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars it doesn't really concern me too much whether they are labelled "adult" or "young adult" so long as there is a good storyline an, 10 April 2015
This review is from: Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not given to writing reviews, but I've made an exception in the case of this interesting new author. I'm a long-time fan of well-written fantasy tales (50 years or so...); it doesn't really concern me too much whether they are labelled "adult" or "young adult" so long as there is a good storyline and interesting characters presented through readable, flowing text. So why I am giving four stars to a book in which I thought the characters rather lacking in depth and which is narrated by a teenage boy in somewhat immature language? Eddings or Rothfuss it certainly isn't. What it is is an undemanding but enjoyable saga of a boy and his dragon - just right if you're not in the mood for something too heavyweight. I've also enjoyed Book 2 (Avian) and I now look forward to its sequel. Give it a go...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazeballs!, 24 May 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next instalment. Characters are enjoyable with action to suit everyone and the writing style flows over the page. Hurry up and release the next one!! Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, 7 May 2014
It does not have anything complicated about it and is relatively short as it seems to be for younger readers. However, it was still an enjoyable story and I look forward to the next book in the series.