4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, but still rather episodic
The second book in Connie Suttle's Blood Destiny series sees 40-something housewife, turned 20-something appearing vampire, Lissa living in the English home of her surrogate sire Merrill and at the whims of the Vampire Council.

Published on 20 Oct. 2011 by Seren Ade

3.0 out of 5 stars superior maies - she is frequently stripped naked to be ...
Published 8 months ago by bruges

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, but still rather episodic, 20 Oct. 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

As the only female vampire turned in 700 years, Lissa's presence is causing a stir... and something of a dilemma, as there are an awful lot of unattached male vampires who would like a long-term female partner. Requests to meet Lissa have been coming in thick and fast, so Merrill and Wlodek (the leader of the Council) determine that the only way to prevent all-out war amongst the vampires is if Lissa is effectively presented at a Ball, and required to choose a future husband from amongst the powerful vampires vying for her hand. Trouble is, Lissa doesn't know the majority of her suitors, and is terrified of those she has met. And then there's Gavin, the top flight Assassin she had believed to be her friend, only for him to betray her as a rogue, while holding her utterly helpless with his compulsion.

There are lots of repercussions, too, from the attempted coup against werewolf Grand Master, Weldon Harper in Book 1 and Lissa, in her role as the only vampire to have ever been named a member of the Pack plays a vital role in vampire-were relations. This, despite her relative youth as a vampire and the fact she's still in the early days of her training.

Again, the story is told mainly from Lissa's perspective in the first person, with regular, short, third-person scenes filling the reader in on action that's taking place outside of Lissa's knowledge. The action is, as in the previous book, a bit episodic and continues to feel a bit more like a series of related short stories than a novel.

Things become a good bit more graphic this time round - Lissa and her new fiance do sleep together, there's a scene where a clothed and rather offended Lissa is humped against by a werewolf in front of Vampire Council members who do nothing to intervene, and another where Lissa is subjected to a series of intrusive medical tests by a rogue werewolf while she is in her death sleep. Lissa's love-life is also definitely more complicated. There's the whole choosing a fiance thing. To say nothing of the array of men in her life: wealthy werewolf inventor Winkler, NSA director Tony Hancock, assassin Gavin (who she still can't bring herself to trust), and Lissa's growing attraction to her surrogate sire.

Even without the cliff-hanger closing scenes, there were plenty of threads and hints left hanging open for continuation in further books - not least surrounding Lissa's growing array of unusual talents, and the fact that she doesn't seem to be as susceptible to the compulsion of older vampires as she used to be.

4/5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Allocate a lot of spare time to read, 4 Dec. 2012
Second book in series, read the first before this to help make sense of everything. Or it might be a bit much information in one go.
This is the best book I've read in a while. Be warned that it is almost impossible to put down. Fast paced yet still followable, it's a little complicated with all the characters but they are done superbly. I couldn't give it 5 stars, partly due to the complexity and partly due to the cliffhanger ending (that and I think I've only ever given 1 5 star review, a book actually has to make me cry, laugh and clap my hands while jumping up and down to get that, this one isn't there yet but I did smile/ frown).
I wouldn't read it unless you have time to read the next one also. (I read books in one go the majority of the time so cliffhangers really frustrate me)
For the price I have never read anything better, and trust me, I read a lot. I'll definitely be snapping up anything I can by this author now, I just wish I didn't have too much work to do to read number 3 now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very action packed, 7 Feb. 2013
I found this novel very hard to put down. It was written in a way that flowed far better than the first book and became a classic time waster for me.I'm not going to say anything about the story, but if you read the first book and thought it was ok then I think like me you'll really enjoy this book.When I finished it I bought the next book in the series straight away with my Kindle and just carried on.So I think that speaks volumes, and who knows where this story will go.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good read, 9 Oct. 2012
have read book 1 and enjoyed Lissa's character. Poor woman what a way to died. Her character is lively and entertaining with a great deal of well written added humour. This book continues the tale of the newly turned vampire and again the story follows well, but you really don't know what is going to happen next. I have already ordered the continuing books and look forward to reading more of Lissa's adventures. A really good lighthearted read try them.

3.0 out of 5 stars superior maies - she is frequently stripped naked to be ..., 13 Sept. 2014
It's well written and entertaining, but I won't be reading any more in the series. The main character, a female, is constantly at the mercy of the clever, superior maies - she is frequently stripped naked to be washed by another character, is (to quote) "dry humped" by another character and reacts by being cross and sulking. There is only so much I can take of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 31 Dec. 2011
Having read the first one yesterday I couldn't wait to get my hands on this story. Just as good as the first book I couldn't put it down and immediately bought the rest of the books in the series. I simply have to read them all.

Its not often a page turner like this comes along, but the characters grab you and suck you into there world.

5.0 out of 5 stars best series i have read in ages, 15 April 2012
the second installment in the blood destiny series. lissa is turned for a bet and becomes a character you begin to feel a vested interest in.she has many different complex relationships with the men surrounding her. i have read the books one after the other .if you like vampire books and urban fiction you will love this series

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Secret, 16 Mar. 2013
I must admit to really enjoying reading this series of books. I have now read the first three and I find them an easy non challenging and relaxing read and they are all the more refreshing for that. If I have any criticism of them they are a bit samey and I am hoping the next ones move on a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connie keeps topping the last one !, 23 Jan. 2015
I love to read these storied ... Lissa is very 'real' and reacts in a very positive way to life (or should I say death? Lol); I also love all the different characters, peoples and planets ... keep'em coming plz Connie !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa, 12 Nov. 2014
I have loved every second of reading these first two books. I am always grateful to find a story that can hold my interest through multiple books, and they have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›