5.0 out of 5 stars Magic
Magic Breaks is number 7 in the Kate Daniels series. There is a recap at the start, as well as brief character summaries but this is not a standalone book. To fully appreciate this book, all the previous books should be read.

Published 4 months ago by Darren Porter

2.0 out of 5 stars Please stop the constant recap!!!!!!
I love the Kate Daniels series. I constantly read the blog, and I love that they write free fiction.
But what I don't like is that the book has constant and I mean constant explanation of what happened previously.
This is the 7th book, yes the seventh book of a series. Do the editors not realise we have read the previous 6, and are reading the 7th for a new...
Published 4 months ago by Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)

Magic Breaks starts with Kate being forced into investigating a murder and trying to prevent a war. Then about half way through the book everything changes and from there you have a great ride to the end which concludes with a family reunion to remember. The whole series has been leading up to Kate's encounter with Roland and for me it was perfect.

This book has all the positive attributes of the series; awesome action, a great cast of characters and humorous dialogue. Kate and many of my favourite characters are back in this one. Characters from the previous works make some memorable appearances but this is Kate's story. Kate has truly grown over the course of these books.

On reflection Magic Breaks feels like a series ender with main story threads being resolved. I actually understand now why the authors wrote a disclaimer stating that it is not the end of the series. Thankfully we have at least 3 more books to go and after the ending in Magic Breaks I can not wait to see what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another exciting, and brave, instalment in the Kate Daniels series, 1 Aug 2014
What can I say about this epic book? Well I think the first thing is to re-iterate what the authors say in the preface: this book is an ending. Originally they were contracted for 7 books and the arc has been working towards it, and instead of taking the easy way out and padding out another couple of books (as so many successful authors have), the Andrews have actually been brave enough to move things forward in a significant way and to create a new dynamic going forward.
It's a compelling book and Kate is front and centre. Just over half the story takes place in a period of about 6 hours and features only Kate and 5 other characters: none of them Curran. This extended action piece could have gotten stale, but the character detail and non-stop action ensure that's not the case. It also lets us into Hugh's mind again and sets up the events of the rest of the book.
Over the last few books the story has been circling ever closer to the world at large knowing Kate's secret and the final showdown with Roland, so the tack the Andrews take on this is unexpected. I won't spoil, but suffice to say that Roland is going to continue to feature in the world going forward.
These books have always been tightly, intelligently, humorously written and this one is no exception. The authors seem to be able to get the balance between action, plot and character right, the romance is true and real but never sentimental and most importantly of all, the characters are likeable and real in spite of the fantasy world; they grow, learn from their mistakes and talk to each other.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Daniels book 7, 16 Aug 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I've said it before but I'll say it again - I'm an Ilona & Gordon Andrews fan girl, in fact, I'm a total addict of this series and Kate & Curran are one of my favourite fictional couples ever. So it would be fair to say that I was excited to get my hands on an advanced copy of Magic Breaks. In fact I was so excited about it that I actually read it twice before the release date - that's how fantastic this book is. So, you're probably wondering why it has taken me so long to write this review and my answer is that I've been feeling intimidated. How can I possibly describe the level of awesome that this book (in fact, this entire series!) has reached? I'm afraid to say that this review will probably involve a lot of gushing but I've decided that I just have to share my feelings about it and hope you'll forgive me for lack the of sensible insight.

Fans of the series will already know that this book is the cumulation of the long running story arc with Kate's father Roland, that doesn't mean this is the end of the series, just that Magic Breaks is a game changer. This confrontation has been a long time coming and it's fair to say expectations were high for Kate and Roland's first face to face meeting. I've spent a lot of time throughout the books wondering what would happen when they met but I don't think I could ever have been fully prepared for what actually happens. The showdown is nothing like I was expecting but it has totally set things up for exciting things in the future. That ending was epic and I can't wait to see where things go from here.

I love how much Kate has grown as a person throughout this series, she has come such a long way but she still has a lot to learn about her abilities and she doesn't have full control over her powers yet. The most special thing about these books has been seeing her go from a lonely young woman who felt she had to keep everyone at a distance to someone who has close friends and a self-made little family that she would give her life to protect. She has worked hard to find her place in the Pack and she comes into her own even more in this book when she has to take charge while Curran is absent. I love how her relationship with Curran has developed too, they have become such a strong couple and no matter what happens they never lose faith in each other. I adore them both and find myself wanting to reread every single moment they spend together.

I don't want to say too much about the plot of Magic Breaks because I would hate to give spoilers but I will mention a few other highlights. I loved the bickering between Derek and Ascanio who had me laughing out loud numerous times with their antics. Kate's confrontation with Jennifer was a long time coming but so worth the wait - that really was the best smack down EVER. I enjoyed getting to learn a bit more about Gastek and his background and I'm actually kind of starting to like the guy. Andrea is awesome and she always has Kate's back no matter how dangerous the situation, how fantastic is it to have more than one strong female character in a series! Magic Breaks is everything I want from a book in this series, it is humorous and has some fantastic one liners, it is action packed and full of unexpected surprises and most of all it has the best characters, the strongest friendships and a wonderful relationship between the main characters. There is so much to love about these books and it's quite unusual to find a series that is still this fresh and exciting seven books down the line, I never want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best urban fiction!, 3 Aug 2014
Fantastic! The seventh book in the series and still amazing. (No spoilers)

The story ties up lots of loose ends from previous books and finally get to meet you know who. But it is done in a thrilling and exciting way with great humour. A few twists in the plot along the way so it never gets predictable.

If you haven't read this series, do it now. The first book, magic Bites, can be a bit hard to get into as you have to learn about the world this is set in but after that the books never fail to entertain which is unusual for a long series.

Ilona and Gordon are so skilful at pulling together all my favourite elements in a book - magic, deathly fighting, romance, humour and characters that you learn to love - then they play with your emotions.

They are easily one of the best in the business and hope they get the recognition they deserve.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Kate Daniels" series book 7, 5 Oct 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Kate is still dealing with the unexpected death in book 6 "Magic Rises", and separated from Curran throughout much of the story line, she again proves what a tough and resilient heroine she is. Her `to kill' list is growing, especially as more characters close to her heart face death when insisting on remaining at her side when she faces her toughest battles yet.

With additional subplots; such as hunting for a werewolf accountable for the death of a powerful figure, werewolf politics as a new werewolf makes a move for Alpha status and Hugh D'Ambray making quite a few appearances, Kate is juggling all of this and worrying if Curran is still alive.

If this book didn't follow on from "Magic Rises" (imo the best book of this series so far) it may have received 5 stars. There are some fabulous WOW moments; especially as Roland becomes more involved in the schemes surrounding Kate rather than remain a distant figure. There are some incredibly intense scenes and the reader is left wondering how on earth Kate can survive the situations she finds herself in. Again there are unexpected losses, and there is overall quite a bleak outlook as Kate finds herself in plenty of lose-lose situations and struggles with what she can sacrifice to save a few more lives. There are the odd moments of humour but these are few and far between. Most surround Kate, and as she uncovers more details of her own personal history she introduces a new BFF to the world (hint it's sharp and pointy).

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic breaks, 4 Aug 2014
Jade A. Bacon (england, midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Yet another fantastic kate Daniels book by lions Andrews, an amazing author who will draw you into her book and keep you turning the pages until the end and wanting more after. If your new to the series start at the beginning and I guarantee you will become as drawn into the series as much as the rest of us.
In short an amazing book I read this in a few hours, not because it's short but because I couldn't put it down, take a break from reality and go to post shift Atlanta for a break from reality

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 4 Aug 2014
Fantastic.

I love this series and book 7 is just a total pleasure to read, action, humour, magic and finally Kate meets Daddy.

This is the perfect urban fantasy.

Still laughing about Jim and the Kittens, and have read the walk to Roland a few times Kate is awesome.

As others have said you will benefit from reading the previous books,which are also very good - the first book I think is the weakest but don't let that put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent step in the series, 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit nervous starting this Ilona Andrews book. After the previous one, Magic Rises, it seemed inevitable that the story was reaching the point where Kate would have to face her father. And I couldn't imagine that happening without things going really badly for Kate and her allies, the way things did in Magic Rises. I don't want to spoil everything, but it wasn't the bloodbath I worried it might be.

I love this book. However, it's hard to say that I love it on it's own merits, or to review it on it's own merits. Magic Breaks works, for me, because of the series as a whole. It's the little bits and pieces from the earlier books starting to really pull together and reach a head that makes me appreciate it so much. It's seeing Kate stand up and do things that are a world away from what readers might have expected from her in the first few books. The characters and situations are meaningful because we got to know these characters, like Derek, Ascanio, and Barabas, to pick out just a few.

There are some acceptances and realisations in Magic Breaks for Kate and others that come out of just the events of this book. But overall, I felt like it was a culmination of things that came before. It's the proof that events in the previous books are still affecting Kate and Curran. The events of Magic Rises in particular are very much still felt.

I'm not saying that I think it wouldn't be a good book without the rest of the series. It's a great book. But it's hard at this stage in the series, with such a strong link of the story arc going between them, to take it as a stand-alone. It's not. It's the next chapter, and that took it from being a great book in a great series, to being one of my favourite reads this year.

With Magic Breaks, Ilona Andrews has a story with character development, romance, revelations, tough decisions, and unexpected twists. I can only hope that the remaining couple of books in the series live up to this. 10/10.

~Ailsa
[Review originally posted by me on my book review blog, link in my profile.]

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so good!!!!, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
It's unusual for a series to go from strength to strength but the Kate Daniels' series is the exception to the rule. This book was simply stunning with a perfect blend of old favourites in the characters, new and wonderful creatures and an ongoing storyline which has grabbed me and not let go since book 1. Kate Daniels is the best heroine you'll ever read about!

The writing is wonderfully accurate and passionately portrays the story without any deviation from the first instalment. My only disappointment in this book is that I missed Saiman but we were given Ghastek back so my disappointment was quickly abated.

Kate continues to hunt her father but as usual the enigmatic and persistent Hugh D'Ambray reappears to challenge her at every turn. Curran as ever is at Kate's side but for most of this story she turns to her old friends for support: Andrea, Derek, Ascanio and Desandra. I love the banter between these friends from Ascanio's innocent determination to go against Kate's orders to Andrea's never failing loyalty this group they face danger and risk their lives to support Kate in her hunt for her father.

Roland finally makes a physical appearance in this book and Kate's secret is revealed to all. Roland tries to act fatherly but will Kate accept his attempts at humility or will her past memories of him and the murders of her Mother and Voron prevent any sort of a family reconciliation.

The magic continues to amaze in this story and you have to wonder how many new tricks and treats Ilona Andrews has up her sleeve. For me I didn't think Weredolphins could be topped but then two new creatures appear who are fantastic and freakishly imaginative.

I want this series to continue for forever but I also want it to spin off in so many directions. The short story at the end of the book was a treat and one that I hope is developed further. We all need more from Julie.

Reviewed on behalf of Jezabell Girl & Friends...

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better..., 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
When the author posts a note at the beginning of the book to reassure fans that this isn't the last instalment in the series, you worry. It's inevitable. Add that to the spoiler free reviews I'd read and I admit I was nervous to begin this book. I love the Kate Daniels series, and have since the very first novel, so it was with apprehension that I began to read the first chapter.

Now, I know there were chapter breaks in this book. I know it. I just don't remember them. I consumed the whole thing in one sitting - I couldn't put it down so didn't. Every time I told myself I'd read to the next chapter and stop... Well, I can't remember ever seeing a chapter heading so that didn't happen.

The five star rating - very much deserved - shows that I enjoyed this book. Whether you're a long-term fan or a newcomer to the series, you will be satisfied by the way certain threads are wrapped up - and others are created. It is an ending of sorts, but it's also a beginning - and one I'm very much looking forward to seeing progress.

Since reading 'Magic Breaks', I've started re-reading the series. I'm currently up to 'Magic Strikes'. The progression of the characters, the development of this universe, the way things from the past are brought back to the present... I can't say enough how much I love it, and how much I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Without going into things that would be spoilerific since Amazon doesn't have a feature to hide spoilery reviews, I won't say anything about the plot or the characters that do or do not appear. All I'll say is that I found this to be an incredibly satisfying read and, once I got over my initial nerves, found it was yet another book by the writing duo of Ilona Andrews that I just couldn't put down. Fans of the series will not be disappointed - and if you're a newcomer reading this review and wondering whether to buy it, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" but only after you've read the other books in the series. Kate has been on an incredible journey of growth and self-discovery so far and you'll only appreciate her actions in this book if you've read what's gone on before.

Thoroughly, highly recommended. Now if only I had a time machine to get me through the wait till the next in the series...

Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels Book 7)