5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best
I needed something to read and this book sounded interesting. I have never read Iles before and normally when I take a chance on a new author it all goes horribly wrong and I find I've just wasted time and money on a book that will sit on my shelf gathering dust.
Published on 26 Jun. 2002 by Barry North

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not particularly special
Published 4 months ago by Anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 26 Jun. 2002
Barry North (West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
Not this time. This book takes your hand and leads you into a story that is constantly unfolding with revelations, setbacks, hope and despair.
As the cover says the story is about a woman photojournalist who by chance sees a portrait of her missing, presumed dead, sister who disappeared over a year before. She of course is anxious to find out the truth and the only way which she can do this is to co-operate with the FBI and hope they don't cut her out of the loop as they did after her sister first went missing.
With your average thriller the ending can sometimes let you down. Iles skillfully avoids this trap and keeps you reading and neatly closes the story with a satisfying conclusion that leaves no questions unanswered.
The main characters are solid and well written and at no point are you jarred into reality with a careless sentence or paragraph that doesn't ring true.
If you like thrillers, or if you are just hunting for a good read, I can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller, flawed but fun, 27 Mar. 2004
Elizabeth Taylor (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
Firstly let me state that thrillers are not my genre and I picked this book up for 50p in a sale. The storyline of a serial murderer, a member of the public helping the FBI, lots of action, storyline changing page after page is really excellent. I found myself not putting the book down wanting to know what happened next. What didn't work for me was the central character Jordan who to me was a women obviously written by a man. So of course she had to be stunning, independant, wear casual relaxed male style clothing and other male fantasy cliches of the independant women waiting for her knight in shinning armour. So the parts of the book dealing with her feelings and relationships did not work and were a distraction from the main show which was the investigation of the crime. Back to the good part the storyline is that of a serial killer who paints pictures of his victims in the sleep of death which are so well crafted that they become the subject of vast bids on the international art market. Jordan stumbles into this story by attending an art exhibition in Hong Kong where one of the pictures shows her twin sister, missing for some time. She manages to make a connection from her sisters disappearance and that of many other women in New Orleans and then enter the FBI. The story is then one of her assisting the professionals in tracking down the identity of the killer, though I'm pretty convinced they would not normally allow a member of the public such freedom in such an investigation or botch things up so much. The twists and turns mean as I said you are not sure where the story is leading until the end, so the interest level (critical for a thriller) is kept until the end. If I had to rate this as a piece of writing because of the central characters and the too obvious cliches splattered throughout it would only be a 2 but for the pace and storyline, and the 50p I spent make it definately a 4.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not particularly special, 14 Oct. 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those novels where the plot needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt. It is the story of Jordan who is a photojournalist. On visiting Hong Kong she sees a picture in an exhibition which looks just like that of her dead twin sister. In fact, because they are identical twins, it also looks very much like herself. This leads to a chase, an investigation with the FBI, some pretty weird people, and lots of jeopardy for our heroine. Not all of this is completely believable and that which is is rather on the far-fetched side but it is a book that is written in a fast-paced manner and which is engaging from the beginning. If you enjoy a thriller, and are not adverse to a serial killer novel, then you may well enjoy this.
The novel is very entertaining but it is not one that’s going to live with me for any length of time. This is partly because of the far-fetched nature of the plot, but also because none of the characters have any real depth. I found it especially difficult to relate to Jordan who is the main character. I’m not quite sure why that was but she didn’t seem to have sufficient depth for me to see her as a fully rounded person. I also didn’t believe in the characters who are set up to be the enemies/potential enemies. As usual in books of this type the motivation behind the serial killing seems to me way too unrealistic – I don’t really believe that people plan and commit this type of intricate killing for the reasons that are given here.

This is a quick and easy read, perhaps one for the holidays. I enjoyed it well enough but I’m not inclined immediately to seek out others by this author and nor would I read this one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Sleep, 29 Mar. 2014
An excellent book, as are all of Greg Iles' books. A
Thoroughly enjoy every book he has written. Great novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and enticing, 25 Mar. 2004
H Pedder "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
I have reached a point where i'm struggling to find new - and interesting - authors. I seem to have exhausted those that i know of. So it was with trepidation that i picked up Iles' book as i'd previously never heard of him.
This book was extremely gripping. I was on holiday with relatives at the time and often needed something to pass the time at quiet moments - Dead Sleep did this and more. It's one of those books that you read (if you're anything like me)so quickly - skimming over the sentences in a desperate urge to reach the climax! The characters were believable (great to see a heroine who's believable, likeable but with forgivable flaws) and the plot unpredictable. Now i'm back home the only decision i've got to make is which one of his books to read next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excitement Guaranteed, 16 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
Jordan Glass, award-winning war photographer is amazed when she finds a painting of her identical twin sister Jane in a Hong Kong art gallery. Particularly since her sister disappeared without a trace months before. With the help of the FBI Jordan sets out to trace the source of the paintings and find out what happened to her sister, and the dozen or so other women who went missing in New Orleans over the same period.
The action and suspense never let up and the plot has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. The villain is genuinely hard to identify and the creepy climax kept me up late into the night.

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZzzzz, 14 Dec. 2008
A. Whittaker "scotty" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
I read this book because I really enjoyed the fast paced 24, by Iles. What a let down. Great start, laboured through most of it. The last bit was good but the very end was so implausible, for me, it ruined the whole book and I was left feeling let down.
To be honest I felt a little the same when reading sleep no more, also by Iles. I kept trying to work out a more plausible explaination for the whole body swap nonsense and you're left with.... well i won't spoil it, i'll let the author do that!

4.0 out of 5 stars A touch formulaic, but superior formula, 27 Nov. 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Paperback)
The twin sister of an award winning photographer goes missing - simply disappears. There have been other disappearances, but no bodies, so no one can officially treat this as a serial killer at work. Months later, the photographer comes across paintings, paintings of naked women … including her sister. The portraits, however, look suspiciously like images of death. And so begins the hunt for the killer, the photographer teaming up with a very special FBI agent. Inevitably, the hunter will find herself hunted.
It's an excellent premise - the portraits of the dead. There is abundant scope for psychological investigation and analysis, for in-depth characterisation of the killer. What we get, however, is a largely formulaic thriller - the heroine is glamorous, talented, the hero glamorous and talented, the FBI is wonderful, money appears no object, it's all a bit glitzy, a bit, well, glamorous. The story could have been much edgier, much darker, but it appears sanitised - Iles is going for the Hollywood blockbuster, not the art house movie.
Nevertheless, Greg Iles writes a well-paced thriller. It's a page turner of a novel which will keep you engrossed right to the end. Not a demanding read - it's glamorous rather than sophisticated - but the sort of book you'd take on a long journey or use to switch off over a weekend. Well written, good concept, enjoyable read, pity it's underdeveloped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of suspense, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was a thoroughly good read - more enjoyable than the other Greg Iles books I have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ending let it down, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dead Sleep (Kindle Edition)
Like other reviewers I felt a bit let down by the ending of this book - but, having said that, it was an entertaining read. I would say the first half I couldn't put it down - second half there were a few things that were a bit implausible. But, overall, I enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›