5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent standard maintained
Published 6 months ago by Jennifer Herrick-Weatherstone

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of Steam?
Running out of Steam? I love this couple and the stories of their life in Spain. But is this a book too far?
Published 3 months ago by Roger the Heartless

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent standard maintained, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
I have read the superlatives used by the other 5 star reviewers on this site in respect of this latest instalment in the Two Old Fools saga and feel it is impossible to say anything other than I agree with everything said. Victoria Twead has done it again, this time though she made me laugh and cry!! I also loved the recipes, seriously good fodder is going to come from my own Spanish cocina for the next few weeks as I test run them. Please get going on the next chapter I shall miss you and Joe now this one is finished. If you want an interesting, happy, thoughtful and entertaining read then buy this series!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally amazing read! FIVE STARS!, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
I've loved all of Victoria Twead's books about life in Spain, my favourite up to now had been her second book-Two Old Fools Olé-this fourth book in the series is on a par with this-if not even better, I LOVED IT! Just moments into it and I was thinking: there's going to be some fun with Joe-and there it was, soon after-Hilarious! The calamities they get into! I got a really good feeling about this book right from the early stages, a good vibe, it was very warm and amusing. There are many funny moments, Victoria has now got it off to a fine art and has such a different and amusing way of putting things. I read it hungrily, couldn't put it down, yet I wanted to make it last as this was the last in the series so far-was it? On the strength of this, I do hope she writes more. I was worried if she could keep the same momentum up-but she just gets BETTER! It was fantastic. I love Victoria's format-as before-including some mouth-watering recipes and some delightful pictures-they really add to the wonderful presentation. It was lovely 'coming home again' to El Hoyo, all the familiar village characters you've come to expect, it was lovely to see and hear Judith here again-her expressions!-they make me chuckle so much. It's not all comedy-there are some highs and lows, some intriguing moments regarding some family secrets. There are so many laughs in the book though-it would cheer up the biggest misery there is! Side-splitting. I have three questions/observations after reading this book: Will I ever eat muesli again? Why do hens eat such rubbish?! And who else only Victoria Twead could make Bacon Sandwiches entertaining?! Priceless!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flavors of Spain, 31 July 2014
As an author who has spent considerable time in Spanish villages, I was delighted to be able to Beta read Victoria Twead's fourth book in her Two Old Fools series. Watching Victoria and her husband Joe step back into everyday life in their adopted home in a small southern Spanish village (after spending time teaching in Bahrain) I appreciated the way they adjusted to living life one day at a time. While they busy themselves cleaning mold off walls, pruning vines, buying chickens, and watching the antics of the local tomcat they nickname Black Balls, they enjoy taking time out to sample local wines with their colorful neighbors and watch glorious sunsets. When they learn about a major disagreement dividing the town, they step in and play peacemakers. Victoria cleverly shares her thoughts on collecting eggs, entertaining guests (some invited, some not) and her personal joy on learning she will become a new grandmother. Each chapter is accompanied with a tempting recipe or a fun photo from daily life in tiny El Hoyo. A great read! Beautifully written. Reminding me of why I returned to enjoy the flavors of Spain—again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars How a memoir should be written !, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
A triumph - this is definitely how a memoir should be written ! Right from the start the sights, sounds, characters and tastes of a rural part of Andalucia are brought to life. Each entertaining vignette leaves you begging for more - what happened to all the villagers introduced in the first books ? how can Victoria escape the amorous attentions of the mayor ? what is the secret of the visiting vicar ? and what about Victoria's own hidden family secrets and current family in Australia ? A very, very good read - I can't wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Victoria - I Just Loved 'Two Old Fools in Spain Again', 27 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
After enjoying Victoria's other books in the series I awaited 'Two Old Fools in Spain Again' with great anticipation. From the first sentence I was transported back to their small rural Spanish village and brought up to date with the lives of Victoria and Joe's neighbours, the local characters and all the animals old and new. Victoria writes so easily with great humour and sensitivity and I found, as I did with her other books, hard to put it down - I just wanted to find out what happened next! Also in this book Victoria shares some surprising news from her past and brings us up to date with her family in Australia, sharing the joy of meeting her new granddaughter. Joe is always in the background having a good scratch and if you do buy this book, and I hope you will, you will discover what was in his pocket! As an extra bonus the book contains some delicious recipes for you to try out. I can't recommend this book enough and look forward to the next one with even more anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Old Fools in Spain Again, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
Well what can one say? The next book charting Victoria and Joe's life in Span and it was brilliant!
I kept thinking as I have with those set in Spain how similar to where we live.
I did so love when The Reverend and his wife came to stay! I just wonder if they knew who they were staying with and the liklehood of the wife buying the book?????
It was really lovely to catch up with what I am sure other readers of Victoria's have come to think as friends, the inhabitants of her village and read about the comings and goings , it was tears and laughter a lot of the time!!
I was also very honoured to find Victoria had put 2 of my recipes in, Lemon Curd which I always have to say is amazing and Fig Jam. Really looking forward to hearing more about Victoria and Joe and not forgetting the Australian side of the family! Isn't Skype amazing so you can at least see family even if not in the flesh?
Hoping this is a great success ! You deserve it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An utter delight, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
As a child I loved Jackanory, becoming engrossed in the tale as it was read aloud. Story time on the radio had the same effect: I left my own world for the world of others. Victoria's fourth in the series had exactly the same effect. The familiar neighbours, friends and family brought a smile to my face as, like Alice through the looking glass, I slipped down into the world of La Hoya in Spain: sharing highs, humour and a very sad low. I read through it in two sittings, long ones yes, but it is such a delightful read it was easy to consume, and at the end? The pleasure of having a full belly after a good meal and a smooth wine: totally sated.
My words are a little clichéd maybe but the delight of this book deserves some crackers. As pleasurable to read as a first book introduction to Victoria's world or as the fourth in the series if you have read the others. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 4 - laugh, cry and get involved with Victoria and Jo's latest adventures!, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
This is the fourth in a series and yet again is a fantastic read. Victoria puts so much of herself into her memoirs, that you are swept along In her writing. She writes a letter to the newest member of her family, which had me in floods of tears, that she would trust us as readers to share in something so intimate.
Victoria and Jo ( still scratching himself!) fall back into life after their trip to Bahrain, and are yet again peacemakers in a very important decision that has the town divided. The antics of the neighbours, still bring a smile with their comings and goings. There are also the ineviditable visitors "The gin twins," and also some not invited visitors! So this holiday season, grab yourself a glass of something nice, and enjoy this fantastic book. Now to await Victoria to write book five. Thank you Victoria, for sharing your life with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to be back!, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
This is another winner from Victoria. Written as usual with humour and compassion her love for the village and its inhabitants shines through. It was great to be back again in El Hoyo. However during their time away in Bahrain the house had developed mould which had to be dealt with - next came an infestation of cockroaches but just when the cockroaches had been eliminated came the moths!! Pancho the mayor is still determined to get 'Beaky' on her own and hits on the idea of private English lessons which she has to avoid at all costs. There is so much to amuse - like the 'massacre' of the vine! much to the horror of Paco! Sadly, soon after that incident there was the loss of old Felix but it was wonderful that the old mule found a new frienship with Alejandros horse. I loved reading that Sofia finally found 'the one' and that the family trouble of the Ufartes seems to be resolved. Old friends like Judith and 'mother' make appearances as do several cats and new chickens. Joe and Vicky had personal sadness and major surprises as well. However at the end we leave them looking forward to visiting their daughter in Australia. Read this series - I can highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph from a talented author!, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Kindle Edition)
Reading Victoria's books is like sitting down on a comfortable sofa with an old friend and having a large glass of wine and a good natter. I absolutely love this Old Fools series and the adventures of Joe and Vicky in Two Old Fools in Spain again certainly didn't disappoint. The characters are brought to life within minutes by Victoria's unique writing style - Pancho the mayor is still at his odious best while Paco, Geronimo, Uncle Felix and various other Spanish neighbours continue to entertain the reader. I shared Victoria's excitement of the birth of her first grandchild, laughed out loud on numerous occasions and shed a few tears over some surprisingly touching moments. I sincerely hope there will be many more books from this exceptionally talented author. Thank you for yet another wonderful read Victoria!

Two Old Fools in Spain Again