V

3.0 out of 5 stars A drop in the ocean of mainstream music
Published 1 month ago by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars A drop in the ocean of mainstream music, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Maroon 5 since the beginning. I've held on through the waiting, through the rocky second album, and despite the rising celebrity status of the lead singer which made me wonder about the future for the band itself. I loved their third album as it seemed like they were finding their sound again but with new maturity and experience. But with the changing atmosphere of mainstream music seeming to force everyone to follow the same club music type format and the band seeming to sink into it with their fourth album 'Overexposed' , I started to fear that Maroon 5 are going the same way.

Despite quite enjoying the fourth album for being yet another successful exploration of a genre of music whilst also maintaining their unique style, I said to myself that if this album let me down by officially confirming the loss of Maroon 5's acousitc/folk/soul sound in favour of the mainstream 'club' sound (as has happened with so many other musicians) then I would officially give up on Maroon 5.

In all, I'd basically say that I'm hanging on with the band by a thread, but I'm willing to hang in there for one more.

Where the lyrics of previous albums were more heartfelt/poetic, the lyrics of this album are for the most part more short and simple verses to make room for those endless anthem type repetitions, however there are a couple of songs that seem to want to express something deeper then the 'hey girl' type of notion despite being wrapped up in dance beats.

The music itself has lost its acoustic sound almost entirely; instead you've got the drum machine and the electronic/dance instruments and the vocals have the echo effect on a lot of the songs, as well as the whole pitch bending thing. The only thing I could pick out as a Maroon 5 'sound' was the guitar picks that are laced into the music. Where their previous album dipped its toe in the water of mainstream sound with songs like 'Moves Like Jagger' but balanced it with songs like 'Sad' which was a piano ballad that screamed with emotion, pretty much ALL of the songs on this album are the same format and the same sound and that makes the album quite bland.

Adam Levine's vocals have always been something that keeps me coming back to Maroon 5, I enjoy the sound of his voice and I've enjoyed the way his singing style has grown and developed through the albums, it's got a soulful edge to it and the notes are clear and unwavering like some singers. On this album he's up in the high notes for a lot of it, and other times the shortness of the verses has him practically talking the lyrics, but that 'something' is still there and it even lifts some songs into being noticeable and even lovely.

Whilst I'm sure there are some definite winning singles for the band with this album, I think the album as a whole is a faceless product of the current format of mainstream music and I feel that I've lost the band I loved, and all of their potential as musicians, because of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pop factory, 1 Sep 2014
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
'V' continues on nicely from 'Overexposed' with an even more commercial sound if that was possible. It does work and there is plenty to like if you enjoyed previous hits like 'Payphone' and 'Maps'. For the fans of Maroon 5's old style they may not be able to tell whether these are reject Katy Perry songs or simply a collaboration with some of Kylie Minogue's best writers.

As it goes both could be true as 'V' features plenty of well known co-writers as 'Overexposed' did. Lady of the minute, Sia Furler has a credit on the duet track with Gwen Stefani, a rather pleasant piano track but kind of begs the question, where are the rest of the band? Shellback, Rodney Jerkins and Ryan Tedder are other well known names that feature throughout. Interestingly, Adam Levine is the only band member this time to have any co-writing credits, despite always writing as a band on previous albums.

Soundwise, think 'Maps', Payphone', 'Daylight' and 'Love Somebody' and you have similar melodic and catchy songs throughout, nothing too experimental. My highlights were 'Animals', 'Sugar' and 'My Heart is Open' but there wasn't a single track I strongly disliked. This is a full blown 'pop' album and doesn't try to be anything else. The deluxe version is completely worth it for the insanely catchy and Gnarls Barkley esque 'Shoot Love'. I wouldn't be surprised if this became a single.

Even though he's previously stated publicly his loyalty is with the band, for me this album was a step closer to an inevitable Adam Levine solo album. If the writing credits are anything to go by, the rest of the band seem irrelevant now.

5.0 out of 5 stars OverexSongsAboutPosedJane!, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
Yes, that is my headline. Because this album, V, is a cross between their 4th album pop genre "Overexposed" and their R&B soul funk in Songs About Jane.

The album kicks off with a poppy disco drive "Maps"; is very good in the verses but messy in the chorus. Catchy song with success on the cards 9/10.

Second is "Animals"; a pop influenced sex drive song, about basically doing it like animals! Find myself singing it all day long! 9.5/10.

Next is R&B ballad "It Was Always You" it's an interesting move for Adam Levine! It comes off pretty well. 8/10.

Track 4- "Unkiss Me" is a mid tempo R&B. 8.5/10.

Followed by "Sugar", a real great song. Very Michael Jackson influenced with the "hoo"s and the chorus. 10/10.

Track 6 "Leaving California" is poor in fairness. Just a filler with a catchy chorus! 7/10.

"In Your Pocket" is a real interesting song with a great chorus and snazzy verses a standout for me 10/10.

"New Love" I don't like AT ALL. I think it's a bland pop song. 4/10.

"Coming Back For You" is another unnecessary filler IMO. 6/10.

"Feelings" is where the album rejuvenates with a finger snapping soul pop song! 9.5/10.

"My Heart Is Open Ft Gwen Stafani" erm no! A pretty ballad but it doesn't suit either Adam or Gwen. If you want a soulful ballad go for "Sad". 6/10.

"Shoot Love" is my favourite! 10/10.m

Track 13 "Sex And Candy" is a really relaxing song and the vocals are excellent on it!! This is so reminiscent of SAJ. 10/10.

"Lost Stars" is a first look at the surely impending Adam Levine solo album. Yes it's good! 9/10.

Go get it! Much to love! Good Job Adam! Let's ignore the others because they now seem irrelevant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average. Not the Maroon 5 I was hoping for., 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
I've been a Maroon 5 fan since the Songs About Jane album and I've been looking forward to the new album since what I call the mistake of an album they last chucked on the shelves.
There's one song in my view that sounded like it was produced by a band, all the rest sound like Adam Levine crossed some R&B "mogul's" palm with silver and sold the band down the river. If this was their first album, it would be OK (not brilliant, OK, forgettable yknow) but coming from a band with a history of producing good albums like the first 2.5 (the Hands All Over album was merely put together with good songs and then fillers), I was disappointed and I think I've wasted money on something which will be substituted for their other work. Find a new band peeps, this sounds like the Adam Levine show and it Won't Be Soon Before Long until he goes alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Commercial pop hear we come!!, 10 Sep 2014
Chris g (Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
Having purchased every Maroon 5 album since 'Songs about Jane' sadly this is the one that least appeals....It's okay, don't get me wrong...

But Mr Lavine is wasting that wonderful voice on this album....

Just heard it's number1 in the Billboard chart, oh well, they finally sold out to mainstream pop.....A sad day, but earning the money....Oh well.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit beige..., 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
Good enough to listen to in the background. Neither lyrically profound, can't stop dancing standard nor original for Maroon 5 or as music as a whole. The first single is the best track. After the first run though I had to recap all the songs as not ever so memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant Flares. Did you lose what won't return, 8 Oct 2014
The Script 26th February at the LG Arena Birmingham

No Sound without Silence

Sends a shiver through me just reading these lines, brilliant Flares.

Did you lose what won't return?
Did you love but never learn?
The fire's out but still it burns
And no one cares, there's no one there

Did you find it hard to breathe?
Did you cry so much that you could barely see?
You're in the darkness all alone
And no one cares, there's no one there

But did you see the flares in the sky?
Were you blinded by the light?
Did you feel the smoke in your eyes?
Did you? Did you?
Did you see the sparks filled with hope? You are not alone
Cause someone's out there, sending out flares

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good.....But not 5 stars!, 8 Sep 2014
Chris g (Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
It's good...Not bad tunes, Maps, Leaving California, and all highly listenable, and will have you singing/tapping along,

But.....Don't know what it is but, just lacking that 'edge' for me, New love/feelings could be straight off an Enrique album for instance!
Been playing safe for too long now Maroon, now if you can just recover that edge of 'songs about Jane!!'

'My heart is open' the stand out for me.....Just a little different, & with a bit more power would be perfect!

And 'Maps' (cutmore dub)....Why wreck a perfectly good song!? ....I just don't get it!

Just a little too smooth......

3.0 out of 5 stars A drop in quality, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
Nowhere near as good as Overexposed. A few decent tracks, but the whole album seems to exist mainly to prove how high pitched Adam Levine's voice can get.

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Deluxe' Micky Take!, 22 Sep 2014
A. B. Mcmullon "Skypilot" (Sedbergh, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
Absolutely fantastic music, as ever from Maroon 5. V is very catchy and great driving music, but....

Given only 1 star because I think that charging £12.99 for the 'Deluxe' Album and then not putting the CD into a proper Jewel Case is really taking the mick!

Makes the thing look like it came free with a Sunday paper!

V
V by Maroon 5 (Audio CD - 2014)