on 26 July 2014
Once again Elliott Kay has written a stonker! After the epically brilliant Poor man's fight, how could he possibly follow it up & improve? Well it was breathtakingly awesome!! I found myself up until 4am to finish it.

This second instalment of Tanner Malone's tale, is faster paced, more action packed & has much more of an epic scale, yet still has plenty of deep character development, intelligent observations, & good old fashioned drama.

Moving on to more of a war footing the Archangel system had for months been victim of pirate attacks, corporate lawsuits, blacklisting & economic pressure. The 3 main corporations who have an absolute stranglehold over the known galaxy bring things rapidly to a head after their stock prices take a tumble following Archangels decisions back in the previous book 'Poor man's fight'. Elliot Kay has managed to weave geopolitics seamlessly into the backbone of this novel, never boring or slowing the pace of the story down.
Tanner Malone is dealing with the real consequences of his actions, & the emotional toil of life in the services, while still managing to be a major player in the galaxy. It was with real skill that Kay has put Tanner as the forefront of all the momentous battles in a plausible realistic way. I can't wait to see where the story will next go.
on 26 July 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in the series and if you haven't read 'Poor Man's Flight' then I suggest you read it as it follows on directly from the actions of that book.

I didn't hesitant for a second to buy this book despite how pricier it seemed to me. And while I got my money's worth I feel a little unsatisfied after finishing the book. The 1st book was littered with exhilarating action scenes and focused almost entirely on Tanner and I was hoping the sequel would be just as bad-a** as the 1st but instead it was more softer and rounder - perhaps even safer.
The plot shifted away from Tanner and focused more on politics. My eyes naturally glazed over into disinterest when the story went in that direction. I may the exception but I'm not interested in reading about politicians arguing about trade etc.

The action scenes felt muted and didn't carry the same bite to it that the 1st book had.

All-in-all I had high expectations before starting this book and that may explain the somewhat critical review. Of course I will be buying the next book in the series but I just hope the author goes back to the elements that made 'Poor Man's Flight' so enjoyable to read - more Tanner, more action, less politics.
on 9 November 2014
A good follow-up to the first book, any sequel was going to struggle to match the success of the Poor Man's Fight but I think Elliott Kay managed finely. Throughly enjoyed reading the book, (actually finished it in one sitting when really I should have been doing other stuff) the story developed at a good pace and left me eagerly awaiting Book 3.
Definitely now a favourite series of mine rather than a stand-alone, a deserved 5 stars from me.
on 11 August 2014
I can't emphasize how well written this book and Poor Man's Fight are. After reading dozens of books where there's some major flaw in the characters or dialogue or strategy. this author puts incredible time and care into making you feel like you're immersed in their world. Characters come and are sacrificed unlike other authors who offer the feel good everyone is ok ending, the tactics strategy and physics all feel real, and in the end I can't wait to read the next installment. This book picks up where the last one leaves off although you don't need to have that history to dive into it. The book shifts points of view, including picking up from the other sides which I love, and generally follows the main protagonist as he finds himself in a struggle to help his side turn the tide against the odds. Buy this book, you won't regret it.
on 12 April 2016
I read this straight after Poor Man's Fight and I'm reviewing it as I read the last chapter of Dead Man's Debt, that's how much I liked this series.

This was a step-up from the first book in scale, the first book felt very much focused on Tanner where as this was more about the bigger picture, with Tanner being a smaller cog in much bigger conflicts. Still the same believable characters and realistic situations, not once did I find myself wondering why a someone did a particular action.

My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that for a couple of the chapters I had to read a paragraph or two before I realising who's viewpoint the chapter was from.
on 25 January 2016
So along comes a relatively new author who admits to not knowing much about science. So far so good, it's imagination that matters after all and Elliot Kay has a rich imagination. I let others write the Synopsis and précis and will only say that I thoroughly enjoyed the tale to date (looking forward to book 4).

I will say that the battle scenes are excellent, amongst the best I've read and the story line is good (and oddly prescient for the start of 2016) - I shall leave for you to find out what I mean. Make sure you read Book 1 (Poor Mans Fight) and also look up Besse Martin.
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2014
Elliot Kay's writing grips you and carries you along, especially when he describes tense situations. He is very good at that, like with space battles. The stories of the main persons are well presented and make you care about and feel with them. All in all, good entertainment. I also liked it to meet several people again from the first book, and it looks like the epic will continue. I'll definitely read the next instalment. Even though the military space adventures are not my favourites, because I find them limited and sometimes a bit lengthy.
on 1 October 2014
A cracker - another action packed adventure, with a bigger view of the whole universe. Well done!
on 28 August 2014
An exciting sequel to poor mans fight! Great character development and action sequences that are entertaining yet realistic. But what i really enjoyed was the universe he has created, in which the archangel system battles for freedom. I knocked a star off only because the pacing off some of the space battles wasn't right. but overall a great book.
on 12 August 2014
Love the plot and characters, missed some of those from the first book but fingers crossed a certain female will come back in to the main characters life in the next but I did enjoy those that were re-introduced even if they were subsequently killed off. A good sequel and I look forward to the next!