5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book
When you miss your station on the daily commute because you've got your head totally buried in your Kindle, you know the book you're reading is a good one. With its bitesize chapters, inventive ideas, easy-to-read prose and flowing storyline, Enchantress is such a book, and I can highly recommend it.

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the...
Published on 11 Oct. 2012 by Mark Moxon

3.0 out of 5 stars Okaaaaay
A bit simplistic to begin with - and I wondered if this was solely a teens book - but it picked up towards the end. So, on balance, okay - and I will probably go for the next one in the series. I think.
Published on 16 Mar. 2013 by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book, 11 Oct. 2012
Mark Moxon (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, I loved you, but yeah, I'm looking at you). Enchantress isn't one of them; the style is more like early Raymond Feist than Shakespeare, and it's all the better for it. Instead of unnessarily long sentences and pages of meandering text, you get a very readable mix of brilliantly inventive ideas, believable characters and a storyline that takes in all sorts of fantasy stalwarts, from quests and battles to woodland folk and murky cityscapes. This is also one of the first fantasy books I've read that contains believable sex scenes; at last, a fantasy author who sounds like he's actually tried it. Bravo! :-)

The book's real strength is the way all the ideas fit together to produce a convincing and immersive world. The book's concept of magic (or 'lore' as it's called) is a great device for generating plot twists, and merging the battle scenes with lore in the form of bladesingers, animators, enchanters and elementalists makes for entertaining reading. Indeed, lore threads its way through the entire plot, from the lethal effects of essence, to the relationship between lore, lexicons and the evil plot at the centre of the book. As you read on, you discover more and more about this well-crafted world, and it's enchanting stuff, if you'll pardon the pun.

I also loved the little quotes at the start of each chapter (all 73 of them!). They range from historical quotes to pearls of wisdom, and while in some books this kind of writing device can be a little irritating and bit twee, I thought they really added to the atmosphere of this one. In particular, the quotes from the Marco-Polo-esque Toro Marossa are great, and even though Marossa isn't mentioned in the book itself, I found myself rather liking the man - and all that from a few snippets of commentary at the start of a handful of chapters. It's all very clever, and it's the myriad little touches like this that make the world of Enchantress so believable.

[Edit: The latest version of the book addresses most of the issues I mention in the next paragraph - there is now an excellent map at the start of the book, and the typos have been cleaned up. It's good to see that the author responds to feedback - bravo.]

If I'm going to nit-pick, I did get lost trying to work out the geography of the world. When setting the scenes for the war that grumbles to life in the first third of the book, I got totally confused about which house was fighting which, and whose borders were to the north of the forts that seemed to be to the west of the... oh never mind. In the end I gave up trying to picture the world's layout and just went with the flow, and although it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit, I did find myself hankering for a map. The Table of Contents is also next to useless, only containing links to the Prologue and Epilogue, and typographically there are some small hiccups (hyphens and en-dashes get a bit mixed up every now and then, and there's the odd wonky apostrophe and incorrect word that the spellchecker clearly got wrong). But this really is me being picky, as trivial things like this disappear in a puff of lore when faced with such a great story.

Like others here, I'm looking forward to the sequel, as the book finishes a little too abruptly and leaves a number of quesions unanswered. Which is the point, I suppose; this is Book One of a Saga, and you've got to leave the reader wanting more... which I do.

Bring on Book Two, I say. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richness and depth to match LotR and GoT... but with better pace, and equally good characters and plot., 11 Aug. 2014
I bought this book while looking for another series to rival Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. It's almost too much to say, but yes I think the Evermen Saga rates up there with the best fantasy books ever written. If you haven't discovered James Maxwell yet, then you're in for a treat. A word of caution: the first third of the book "Enchantress" is a bit slow, and sometimes reads like teenager fantasy fiction (it overstates the emotions, without enough subtly or nuance), but stick with it because I promise that once you're into it, the pace picks up, as does the quality and you're in for an amazing read. I was so hooked, that I'm now on book 3 in as many days.

What makes this series spectacular is the depth and richness of the world that James Maxwell has created. The different 'Houses' in this new world each have a different culture, geography and way of using magic. "Essence" (like our oil) is essential for the magic to work, and the great war between the nations is won and lost through the boldness, ingenuity and courage of those who use essence, but also those who know how to fight without it. The characters are brilliant, and compared to GoT the pace is quicker and much better.

My only advice - don't make the mistake that I did, and download all the others books in one in go, and then start reading the blurb. The product description for books 3 and 4 basically contain spoilers which ruined the plot for me as they told me key information that had happened in the previous books. James Maxwell, if you're reading this, please change the blurb so as not to spoil it for the readers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Jan. 2013
I purchased this book after reading reviews and for less than a pound I honestly never expected much from it. I was however astonished when it turned from a cheap book to pass the time into one of the best books I've read in a long time. It has everything from a mystery surrounding orphaned children it turns to a fantasy thriller. I couldn't put this book down as I had to know what happened to each of the characters. This book draws you in from the very beginning and has you hooked, I'm off now to buy the sequel .

5.0 out of 5 stars A spell-binding fantasy romp, 31 July 2012
Enchantress by James Maxwell is a fantastic romp through a mystical land full of an evil emperor, magical enchanters and fantastical soldiers called "the bland singers". First let me be honest I do not think that the synopsis pf the novel does much in explaining the sheer depth of the novel. By reading the synopsis, you instantly know about Killian and of course Ella. You might be forgiven in having misjudged the story, as I myself did, that it will be a romance hidden by a fantasy element. However, the romance is only a small part of this multi-faceted novel. I was impressed with the way that each character stands alone, each character has strength, a weakness and a point to further the plot and yet each intricately involved with the other.

I am going to be honest. The only reason I downloaded this book was that it was free. That was the only reason and I am glad I did it. This is one of the hidden gems in the kindle e-book world. At the beginning of the book, you are introduced to Ella as only the flower girl who dreams of being an enchantress, then the story starts to evolve, and blossom as her friend the wife of the high lord is found dead and murmurs of war start to surface.

The plot follows Miro, her brother who dreams of being a blade singer, as he fights the war, gaining land, being tested and losing a friend due to not letting die (in a round a bout way). You cheer as he wins and your heart aches, as he loves a girl who has had to marry and as he faces the true horrors of war and that, it is not as glamorous being a blade singer as he first came to believe. The other plot is that of Ella. A girl who is blossoming into a beauty who has an amazing ability with enchantments who falls for the thief Killian which causes a book, the powerful artefact of their race, to be stolen and for Ella along with a girl called Layla from a different race that does not like Ella's kind to track him down and get the book back.

It is very well written and each character has both strengths and flaws that make you angry with them, or annoyed. I do not think of this as bad. One flaw of Ella's her sheer inability to deal with what she did wrong and so to go into a sort of coma is annoying, you want her to grow some balls and face up to things. However, it adds to her character it adds to the realism.

There is only one small quirk that sometimes bugs me and it is the way that sometimes it jumps from p.o.v per each chapter. One minute it is Ella; the next Miro. It does not distract from the overall spectacular story telling but with the amount of characters and some of the highly unpronounceable names can make things a little confusing. In the book, James Maxwell tries to explain the house system, the lands and who does what. He tries to show how vast the world is but sometimes, in my opinion, makes the reader get a little lost before finding their way back again. However, this does not affect the story or the sheer enjoyment I found from reading this book.

That is why I would definitely recommend this book. It takes you away from the humdrum of every day life and takes you on an adventure that seems so realistic you can identify with it. This is definitely a book that makes me want to read more, to see what happens next and if the characters grow anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply fantastic book!, 24 Feb. 2015
I picked this book up a few weeks ago after a short look at the info section caught my eye. It sat in the queue of books as I slowly worked my way through them, only to finally reach this book and instantly feel snared.
I've enjoyed this book so much I've blown through it much faster than I would normally, especially as events began to build in the later stages.
While I could pick minor holes with a couple things, they certainly don't detract from the overall story telling. The hints dropped here and there, allowing the reader to guess at connections that steadily grow clearer, definitely add to the sculpting of each individual character. I correctly guessed some of the turns the story took me on, while others blindsided me completely.

A truly fantastic read! Having just seen multiple books in the series I can't wait to continue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okaaaaay, 16 Mar. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Add this to your must-read list, 24 Oct. 2014
Enchantress is an epic adventure on a scale beyond that of the pages it is confined to.
The writing style isn't perfect and some of the characters are a little cliché but the story is an absolute blast.
Maxwell opens the door to a sprawling world of endless possibilities that leaves the reader asking "what if..." and craving the next instalment. This book is a must for fans of Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings type fantasy.
I was almost put off by the feminine cover/title and the blurb hinting romance but I'm so glad I gave it a chance as this is in no means the tacky tween romp I feared it could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read! Highly recommended., 3 Aug. 2014
I've never read a fantasy style book and I loved it! the story reminds me of Lord of the rings, Game of Thrones with different groups fighting and sub stories. It even reminds me of the hunger games with the different lands each having a special skill.

The setting is a place where there are lands with different with leaders and an overall emperor. The main characters are a brother and sister who are orphans and have had a hard life, but are training to be a soldier and an enchantress. The story revolves around them and told mainly from their p.o.v. when war breaks out and allegiances are made.
Each land has a special magical style book which gives 'runes' powers and an enchantress periodically empowers the runes by reciting the book. The runes can be used to light lamps, give protection, empower swords etc but essentially the runes need the book and a special liquid called essence. Books are stolen, essence is in short supply, battles reign - it's great and totally addictive reading! Friendships, love, evil/good kept me staying up through the night to finish it.
Excellent writing too - rich and detailed, well worth the money! I can see it being very popular.

Try the sample first and it will have you hooked quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was impressed by many of the fine reviews for this book but they still did not ..., 29 Nov. 2014
Ms. P. Pace "Carmen" (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
I was impressed by many of the fine reviews for this book but they still did not prepare me for just how good this book is. The author has an exceptional gift for drawing you into the story.
Even now I have finished the book there are certain passages that I cannot shake off. Emotionally you are spared nothing in this first book. The part of each character is given sufficient space so you can truly relate with them on an unusual level; a tribute to the author. Scenes of cruelty/torture/battle were not easy but neither were they overly gratuitous but more than sufficient to create an emotional impact.
Please do not think it is all about violence. This is novel of mystery filled with passion, deceit and revelations.
You could, if you wanted, leave it at book one. However, you will find yourself asking yourself 'I wonder what happened .... ' to certain people. As much as I am tempted to walk away it is not going to happen despite the fact there are about 6 books to The Evermen Saga.
I hope other people enjoy this book too. It is a good read, beautifully written by someone with a unique talent.
Kudos, James Maxwell, you have a new fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly amazing! story line discussion included..., 23 Oct. 2014
Enchantress took me by surprise in its contents. It has a rich plot in a completely in depth world of lore that doesn't come across from the blurb. I really enjoyed it, and became completely immersed in the story line. The short snappy chapters make for easy reading but completely adds to building the dramatic tension. The plot line is realistic in the sense of the world itself (clearly it's a fantasy world), in terms of the character interactions. My one preference, would be that I'd like to see more time spent on the love story elements (although it was probably a good thing it was not dwelt on more as it made me want to continue reading the saga to find out what happened). I also would have liked to see a question as to how good at everything the main characters are. They are exceptional at their roles and I like that, but having read more I wonder if they could have had a fallacy at all.
Overall, I love these books. I get completely addicted to them, and I love how the story builds as the books go on in unexpected and intelligently thought out ways. If you want a great new fantasy world to get stuck into, these are the books for you :)