5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book
When you miss your station on the daily commute because you've got your head totally buried in your Kindle, you know the book you're reading is a good one. With its bitesize chapters, inventive ideas, easy-to-read prose and flowing storyline, Enchantress is such a book, and I can highly recommend it.

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the...
Published on 11 Oct. 2012 by Mark Moxon

3.0 out of 5 stars Okaaaaay
A bit simplistic to begin with - and I wondered if this was solely a teens book - but it picked up towards the end. So, on balance, okay - and I will probably go for the next one in the series. I think.
Published on 16 Mar. 2013 by Fluff the Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book, 11 Oct. 2012
Mark Moxon (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, I loved you, but yeah, I'm looking at you). Enchantress isn't one of them; the style is more like early Raymond Feist than Shakespeare, and it's all the better for it. Instead of unnessarily long sentences and pages of meandering text, you get a very readable mix of brilliantly inventive ideas, believable characters and a storyline that takes in all sorts of fantasy stalwarts, from quests and battles to woodland folk and murky cityscapes. This is also one of the first fantasy books I've read that contains believable sex scenes; at last, a fantasy author who sounds like he's actually tried it. Bravo! :-)

The book's real strength is the way all the ideas fit together to produce a convincing and immersive world. The book's concept of magic (or 'lore' as it's called) is a great device for generating plot twists, and merging the battle scenes with lore in the form of bladesingers, animators, enchanters and elementalists makes for entertaining reading. Indeed, lore threads its way through the entire plot, from the lethal effects of essence, to the relationship between lore, lexicons and the evil plot at the centre of the book. As you read on, you discover more and more about this well-crafted world, and it's enchanting stuff, if you'll pardon the pun.

I also loved the little quotes at the start of each chapter (all 73 of them!). They range from historical quotes to pearls of wisdom, and while in some books this kind of writing device can be a little irritating and bit twee, I thought they really added to the atmosphere of this one. In particular, the quotes from the Marco-Polo-esque Toro Marossa are great, and even though Marossa isn't mentioned in the book itself, I found myself rather liking the man - and all that from a few snippets of commentary at the start of a handful of chapters. It's all very clever, and it's the myriad little touches like this that make the world of Enchantress so believable.

[Edit: The latest version of the book addresses most of the issues I mention in the next paragraph - there is now an excellent map at the start of the book, and the typos have been cleaned up. It's good to see that the author responds to feedback - bravo.]

If I'm going to nit-pick, I did get lost trying to work out the geography of the world. When setting the scenes for the war that grumbles to life in the first third of the book, I got totally confused about which house was fighting which, and whose borders were to the north of the forts that seemed to be to the west of the... oh never mind. In the end I gave up trying to picture the world's layout and just went with the flow, and although it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit, I did find myself hankering for a map. The Table of Contents is also next to useless, only containing links to the Prologue and Epilogue, and typographically there are some small hiccups (hyphens and en-dashes get a bit mixed up every now and then, and there's the odd wonky apostrophe and incorrect word that the spellchecker clearly got wrong). But this really is me being picky, as trivial things like this disappear in a puff of lore when faced with such a great story.

Like others here, I'm looking forward to the sequel, as the book finishes a little too abruptly and leaves a number of quesions unanswered. Which is the point, I suppose; this is Book One of a Saga, and you've got to leave the reader wanting more... which I do.

Bring on Book Two, I say. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richness and depth to match LotR and GoT... but with better pace, and equally good characters and plot., 11 Aug. 2014
I bought this book while looking for another series to rival Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. It's almost too much to say, but yes I think the Evermen Saga rates up there with the best fantasy books ever written. If you haven't discovered James Maxwell yet, then you're in for a treat. A word of caution: the first third of the book "Enchantress" is a bit slow, and sometimes reads like teenager fantasy fiction (it overstates the emotions, without enough subtly or nuance), but stick with it because I promise that once you're into it, the pace picks up, as does the quality and you're in for an amazing read. I was so hooked, that I'm now on book 3 in as many days.

What makes this series spectacular is the depth and richness of the world that James Maxwell has created. The different 'Houses' in this new world each have a different culture, geography and way of using magic. "Essence" (like our oil) is essential for the magic to work, and the great war between the nations is won and lost through the boldness, ingenuity and courage of those who use essence, but also those who know how to fight without it. The characters are brilliant, and compared to GoT the pace is quicker and much better.

My only advice - don't make the mistake that I did, and download all the others books in one in go, and then start reading the blurb. The product description for books 3 and 4 basically contain spoilers which ruined the plot for me as they told me key information that had happened in the previous books. James Maxwell, if you're reading this, please change the blurb so as not to spoil it for the readers!

5.0 out of 5 stars A spell-binding fantasy romp, 31 July 2012
Enchantress by James Maxwell is a fantastic romp through a mystical land full of an evil emperor, magical enchanters and fantastical soldiers called "the bland singers". First let me be honest I do not think that the synopsis pf the novel does much in explaining the sheer depth of the novel. By reading the synopsis, you instantly know about Killian and of course Ella. You might be forgiven in having misjudged the story, as I myself did, that it will be a romance hidden by a fantasy element. However, the romance is only a small part of this multi-faceted novel. I was impressed with the way that each character stands alone, each character has strength, a weakness and a point to further the plot and yet each intricately involved with the other.

I am going to be honest. The only reason I downloaded this book was that it was free. That was the only reason and I am glad I did it. This is one of the hidden gems in the kindle e-book world. At the beginning of the book, you are introduced to Ella as only the flower girl who dreams of being an enchantress, then the story starts to evolve, and blossom as her friend the wife of the high lord is found dead and murmurs of war start to surface.

The plot follows Miro, her brother who dreams of being a blade singer, as he fights the war, gaining land, being tested and losing a friend due to not letting die (in a round a bout way). You cheer as he wins and your heart aches, as he loves a girl who has had to marry and as he faces the true horrors of war and that, it is not as glamorous being a blade singer as he first came to believe. The other plot is that of Ella. A girl who is blossoming into a beauty who has an amazing ability with enchantments who falls for the thief Killian which causes a book, the powerful artefact of their race, to be stolen and for Ella along with a girl called Layla from a different race that does not like Ella's kind to track him down and get the book back.

It is very well written and each character has both strengths and flaws that make you angry with them, or annoyed. I do not think of this as bad. One flaw of Ella's her sheer inability to deal with what she did wrong and so to go into a sort of coma is annoying, you want her to grow some balls and face up to things. However, it adds to her character it adds to the realism.

There is only one small quirk that sometimes bugs me and it is the way that sometimes it jumps from p.o.v per each chapter. One minute it is Ella; the next Miro. It does not distract from the overall spectacular story telling but with the amount of characters and some of the highly unpronounceable names can make things a little confusing. In the book, James Maxwell tries to explain the house system, the lands and who does what. He tries to show how vast the world is but sometimes, in my opinion, makes the reader get a little lost before finding their way back again. However, this does not affect the story or the sheer enjoyment I found from reading this book.

That is why I would definitely recommend this book. It takes you away from the humdrum of every day life and takes you on an adventure that seems so realistic you can identify with it. This is definitely a book that makes me want to read more, to see what happens next and if the characters grow anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Jan. 2013
I purchased this book after reading reviews and for less than a pound I honestly never expected much from it. I was however astonished when it turned from a cheap book to pass the time into one of the best books I've read in a long time. It has everything from a mystery surrounding orphaned children it turns to a fantasy thriller. I couldn't put this book down as I had to know what happened to each of the characters. This book draws you in from the very beginning and has you hooked, I'm off now to buy the sequel .

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply fantastic book!, 24 Feb. 2015
I picked this book up a few weeks ago after a short look at the info section caught my eye. It sat in the queue of books as I slowly worked my way through them, only to finally reach this book and instantly feel snared.
I've enjoyed this book so much I've blown through it much faster than I would normally, especially as events began to build in the later stages.
While I could pick minor holes with a couple things, they certainly don't detract from the overall story telling. The hints dropped here and there, allowing the reader to guess at connections that steadily grow clearer, definitely add to the sculpting of each individual character. I correctly guessed some of the turns the story took me on, while others blindsided me completely.

A truly fantastic read! Having just seen multiple books in the series I can't wait to continue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okaaaaay, 16 Mar. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars A passable but familiar epic fantasy, 22 May 2015
GOTTON - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There was a time when epic fantasy was my favourite sub-genre of fantasy. I loved the new worlds, the incredible scope of what the authors were trying to create and the sense that the whole world hung in the balance and on the shoulders powerful individuals who you just love to read about. The trouble is that this has now been done!

J R R Tolkein, David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind (early works), Steven Erikson, George R R Martin, Joe Abercrombie, Robin Hobb, Tad Williams, Daniel Abraham, Guy Gavriel Kay, Raymond E Feist... The list could go on and on. All of these authors have produced epic fantasy worlds set in a medieval style time where there is some epic threat and a few highly talented individuals (usually super-powered ones) must go through a series of adventures to save the day. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. But with each new series I am getting a bit jaded. I've been there and done that and I am yearning for something new.

The successful authors, in my mind, who are writing exciting epic fantasy today are the ones who are going out of their way to bring you something really new and exciting. Brandon Sanderson is bringing us magic systems that we have never seen before. Scott Lynch has a writing style that is funny, witty and something very rare. Patrick Rothfuss has masterfully turned all the cliches of the genre on their head. These authors are creating epic fantasy worlds that we have not seen before and therefore are fascinating.

In a genre that is what I would class as the most complete style of fiction there can be (I mean the worlds can be imagined from scratch guys) there is a surprising lack of imagination and originality.

In a nutshell that's what was wrong with this book.

Was it well written? Yes.

Were the characters believable? Yes.

Was the magic suitably powerful and easy to understand? Yes.

Was it something new that really catches my attention and draws me in? No.

So overall I would say that if you are new to the genre then this may be a fascinating book for you. However the narrative is a little impersonal and the characters are quite hard to grow attached to so if I was going to recommend an epic fantasy I would suggest googling some of the names in the second and third paragraphs. However, being as this one is currently free on Amazon (providing you have a Kindle Unlimited subscription) there are worse novels that you could read as an introduction to the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force!, 11 Sept. 2012
J. O'Neill - See all my reviews
A truly immersive world is created by the author, filled with a unique history and culture, both consistent and enthralling. The pace of the novel is balanced with time to get drawn in before embarking on an explosive story of war, power and greed.

Throughout the book, a full range of characters were created - from the pure unadulterated evil to the good struggling to define themselves against inner confusion. I especially liked the way the power of corruption was shown to twist the ideals of those who start out as a force of good - so much so that they still believed in their cause as they unleashed hell on earth. They were all set against a backdrop of feudal dynasties vying to control the production and distribution of enchanted artefacts. The world was gritty, without any romantic sentimentality and underpinned by a realistic unfolding of events that are as believable as they were awful to the populous of the novel. This was contrasted against the warmth of the relationships between the characters, that both heightened the sense of fear you felt for them as well as offering respite to the ferocity of war.

However, without doubt in my mind, the battle sequences stole the show. The first battle involving Imperial Avengers was simply awesome. The energy and pace in the battles was relentless - a real assault on the senses! They were where the force of enchantment was shown, and it really added another dimension to the novel. I can still vividly recall the first major encounter - the imagery was simply superb.

Overall - a stunning read that should not be missed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Add this to your must-read list, 24 Oct. 2014
Enchantress is an epic adventure on a scale beyond that of the pages it is confined to.
The writing style isn't perfect and some of the characters are a little cliché but the story is an absolute blast.
Maxwell opens the door to a sprawling world of endless possibilities that leaves the reader asking "what if..." and craving the next instalment. This book is a must for fans of Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings type fantasy.
I was almost put off by the feminine cover/title and the blurb hinting romance but I'm so glad I gave it a chance as this is in no means the tacky tween romp I feared it could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read! Highly recommended., 3 Aug. 2014
I've never read a fantasy style book and I loved it! the story reminds me of Lord of the rings, Game of Thrones with different groups fighting and sub stories. It even reminds me of the hunger games with the different lands each having a special skill.

The setting is a place where there are lands with different with leaders and an overall emperor. The main characters are a brother and sister who are orphans and have had a hard life, but are training to be a soldier and an enchantress. The story revolves around them and told mainly from their p.o.v. when war breaks out and allegiances are made.
Each land has a special magical style book which gives 'runes' powers and an enchantress periodically empowers the runes by reciting the book. The runes can be used to light lamps, give protection, empower swords etc but essentially the runes need the book and a special liquid called essence. Books are stolen, essence is in short supply, battles reign - it's great and totally addictive reading! Friendships, love, evil/good kept me staying up through the night to finish it.
Excellent writing too - rich and detailed, well worth the money! I can see it being very popular.

Try the sample first and it will have you hooked quickly.