5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of 2014? I think so :), 7 April 2014
I was fortunate enough to receive an early copy of Shattered Veil for review after being contacted by Tracy to see if I was interested, and with how her other books kept me so entertained I just had to agree. This will in no way effect my opinion of the book.

It took me a few days to find the time to fully invest into Shattered Veil but once I started I just couldn't stop.

Since finishing this book at almost 3am in late February I have written two short reviews, one an initial reaction to finishing the book on Goodreads which reads:

"Oh my god. I love it. So much.
I've enjoyed Tracys other books a great deal but I feel like this one just showed how much better she can write even though the others are great too but like woah okay it's 2:37am and I don't even want to sleep because this was just too good *squeals* I avoid war books because I don't like how real it is, which is why I enjoyed her paranormal-ish books so much but but but highly recommend."

The other I wrote on a tumblr to have it listed as my recommendation for next month that had to come under the genre of "New Beginnings" which we could interpret as we so wished, this read:

"Shattered Veil is a newly published book by Indie Author Tracy E Banghart, as well as the first in a new series, the story is about Aris as she makes some important decisions to follow the boy shes loves into a war to help defend her dominion - to do so she must start a new life disguised as a man. (#this is so much more than a love story #its about a strong female character who realises her new life #her new her #changes her for the better #and in result changes the world #changes her reason for fighting in the war #and just All round happy awesome powerful female characters #lots of feminism ideals here guys #super awesome)"

We have to keep our recommendation short so I went over into the tags to express how much I enjoyed this book.

(Once the post goes live with our New Beginnings recommendations I'll include a link here)

So now I'm sat here thinking I need to write an even better review that does this book even more justice for how much I adored it, but I'm afraid that I can't meet such a standard.

Aris is such a strong character from the very start, whether that is clear to all readers or not. Some may see her as naive and childish for having this perfect life planned out with her ~one true love~ when there is such a devastating war going on.

But isn't that how we all live before our eyes are opened?

And did you have to relearn to walk, and find a substitute for when you couldn't?

Well I don't know about you, but I didn't.

After facing reality that her and Calix couldn't be as perfect as they had hoped when he gets selected to head to fight the war as a Mender, she takes the only opportunity she has to be with him.

This means going under great training and secrecy to join the war efforts herself, as a flyer for search and rescue.

Only trouble, women aren't allowed to join the army but with cutting edge secret technology she is able to do just this, along with many other unknown women too.

So Aris becomes Aristos.

Whilst here she is faced with a lot changes in what she knows of the world, but also within herself.

The development of Aris throughout the book is great and I love how true the whole word and scenarios feel!

An even greater plus is that Aris isn't the only strong female character, we also have part of the story told from another, older female character who is the leader of one of the dominions and has to go through a terrifying and painful ordeal too!

I can not express my love for this book enough, it just makes me so happy and excited to think back to every moment of it, that I can't wait to read it again in a few years but also that at some point we'll get a sequel where I can fall back in love with this world all over again.

I need to buy a copy to sit on my shelf amongst all my other favourite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something special, 27 Oct 2014
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing Trilogy, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
**This book was previously self-published as SHATTERED VEIL**

I loved this book. Seriously, I’m not sure I can convey how much I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel, or how much I want to get my hands on the next one. I haven’t felt this much love for a created sci-fi world since I read Janet Edwards’ "Earth Girl" for the first time.

There are so many great details and touches in this story, especially how Aris changes into Aristos, of the consequences of being caught, of not being caught, of keeping the secret, of living with the lies. There’s hard work ahead, but I really liked how the realities of her situation dawned slowly on Aris as the story went on. I loved how she took control of her life – yes, she’s a romantic, and yes she’s running after her man, but she has to be strong to do it, and she has to prove herself again, and again, and again, until it’s all about so much more than just Calix.

There are some incredible characters to be met along the way, as Aris is woven into this secret, shadowy world of strong women and the costs of war, and men who both protect and are worth protect too sometimes. It’s not just a tale of love on the battlefield, but of political intrigue, disappointments and deceptions, growing up and growing into yourself and finding freedom in unexpected places. It’s enthralling and thrilling, and I was dragged so deeply into Aris’ world that I didn’t want to leave.

But this is only the beginning. For Aris and Atalanta. She’s grown and she’s changed, and life doesn’t look the same anymore. I just hope the next book arrives soon.

(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Your Nature To Thwart Society, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing Trilogy, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Aris is a girl that is clumsy and physically weak due to an incredibly horrid fever as a child. She has a very weak leg and an incredible limp... But when she is flying a wingjet she is the most graceful creature alive. She loves flying and is better than anyone she has ever met. She is excited for her Selection ceremony because then she and Calix can Promise to each other and she is sure they will live happily ever after... That is until a strange and incredibly modern wingjet tries to force her from the sky. Who is in the other wingjet? Why are they attacking her? Has the war spread so far?

Calix is sure he will be Selected just like many bother generations of his family to become a Mender (doctor) and then he can Promise with his childhood sweetheart Aris and they will live out their days happy and fulfilled in their hometown just Luke his parents did. He sees everything as happy and simple and right. Above all everyone must follow the rules and laws always. Will he have his happy future? Will the war ever reach them in Lux? How could it? They are winning right?

This amazing dystopian scfi book was convoluted and addicting. The intrigues and mysteries were only second to the amazing action and adventure. The romance aspect was the driving force behind the plot at first until patriotism took over. The plot twists had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end and I cannot wait to find out how Aris will change the face of her world next!

***This series is suitable for mature young adult through adult readers

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait for the second part of this story, 29 Mar 2014
I received a free eCopy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This YA distopian novel is very well written and the growth of the protagonist is exceptional, I first thought she was a weak, love sick and foolish girl but by the end of the novel she was a strong independent woman who knew exactly who she was and where she wanted to be. She over comes emotions, physical limitations and throws off the beliefs others have that she is weak and in capable.

I am not going to include any spoilers as I really don't like to ruin the impact of twists and turns in books. I will say however that the feminist undertones in the book are fantastic and the way that Banghart presents the darker side of military service is exceptional. Despite being a YA novel, this book is not gentle, some parts are brutal, but this is war and war is brutal.

I can't wait for the second part of this story. By the end I was so drawn in I was angry when the story ended! It ends somewhat abruptly leaving you desperate for the next instalment. It's a 4.5 from me.

- Jenna Knight of FaeBooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 12 Mar 2014
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. Thanks to Patchwork Press and Tracy E. Banghart*

When Calix, the boy that Aris intended to be Promised to, is Selected for the military her life is turned upside down. Determined to be with him, Aris joins a programme that conceals women using diatous veils in order for them to look like men so that they can join the military. Aris becomes Aristos, using her talent for flying wingjets in search-and-rescues.

I loved everything about this book - the characters, the plot, the twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I enjoyed reading as Aris grew into a stronger person.
I would definitely recommend that everyone read this beautifully written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, 7 Mar 2014
I was really excited to start this book, as I’m currently having a huge love of all things future/dystopian. I also have an obsession with the First and Second World Wars, and particularly on the women who were left behind and the lives and horrors they lived through whilst their men were fighting. So this book intrigued me as soon as I read the synopsis, and I delved into it with high expectations.

My high expectations were not only met, but blow out of all proportion. Everything about this book was absolutely incredible, from the story-telling, the pace of the novel, the characters and the world that was created. Everything just blew me away and as soon as I finished reading Shattered Veil I felt bereft that the incredible story had come to an end, but so privileged to have been on the journey with the characters.

There’s so much I absolutely adored about this story, but I don’t want to spoil any of the story for potential readers so I’ll be purposely vague.

Aris was a fantastic heroine. Forget weak and feeble Bella Swan (Sorry, can’t stand her), Aris is a true heroine in her own right, as she fights her own weaknesses, stigma and her life as a woman to be with the man she loves who was selected for military, where he worked as a medic. I really liked how the story panned out as I never once felt annoyed or bored with Aris for the devotion she showed her childhood sweetheart Calex. I admired her for her bravery and strength and the pain that she put herself through so that she could be with her love.

I loved the progression she made and how she very gradually became her own person who wanted to make her own contribution to the war effort, rather than her being there being purely in the purpose of finding her sweetheart. This also contrasted brilliantly with the way that her feelings towards Calix gradually began to change as she began to see Major Vidar in a way that was more than simply soldier to leader. The change that she made was not only in her looks so she could pass as a man beneath the Veil she wore (it broke my heart when she had to cut her hair), but also in her view of her own use in fighting the war. It was wonderful to see her becoming her own person, away from her hometown Lux, and I was excited to see how this changed her relationship with Calix, as well as Major Vidar when they were reunited.

I really connected to the characters, and my favourite parts of this novel were the character driven moments where we saw how the changes in Aris’ life made her too different for Calix to accept. I loved that I hadn’t found my favourite character until after half way through the novel, as I really had to experience the characters throughout their journey’s to understand them. Major Vidar in particular was one of those characters and I absolutely adored him in the last part of the book.

The back story of the politics behind the war that was selecting more and more young men as military personnel was brilliantly written, and I loved seeing how Atalanta’s leaders had to fight against corruption to keep peace throughout their dominion. Galena Vadim’s kidnapping storyline was particularly chilling in the most thrilling way, and you’ll have to read it to see what I mean.

This story was an absolute gem and I can’t even express how much I adored it. 5 Stars, and I hope to read more of Aris again (Pretty please?)

5 Stars!

Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing Trilogy, Book 1)