5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
Published on 10 April 2008 by Rodney_Mullen

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateur mastering
I'm not going to attempt to review the actual music, as it's already been done for the original release of the CD. But I like it.

Published on 1 Sep 2007 by B. G. Brereton

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 April 2008
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
Many people are slating this album and saying it isn't portraying true drum and bass, for me this has no consequence, i am primarily a fan of rock and easy-listening music but this album really has an edge that made me jump up and listen, the fact that it is not genre-specific drum and bass doesn't bother me in the slightest, people can classify it however they want but the only thing that matters is that it's brilliant. Slam and Tarantula are the tracks that initially caught my attention and i guess these are the more non-drum n bass tracks on the album, however, after repeated listens the tracks that really stand out now are the terminal and through the loop, firstly the terminal is a pure drum n bass tune which not even the most hardened DnB fan could surely complain about, secondly through the loop is a masterpiece, sampling gene wilder was inspirational and really gives this trach a rare quality. Overall a fantastic album that will have your head spinning, if 2008's follow up 'in silico' even comes close to this we are in for a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this version, but love the original release!!!!!!, 4 Jan 2008
Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
I didn't realise that this had been reissued, but if the other reviews here are right about the gaps etc then avoid and go for the orginial. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy for 3 quid in HMV a couple of years ago, having only heard Slam, and was blown away! The first half of the album is chockablock with amazing riffs and hooks which will suck you in even if you're not a d'n'b fan (I'm only a casual listener). Every track makes you want to move. I was training for a half marathon when I bought it and I swear it made me run a lot faster, cos the music gets your adrenalin pumping like nothing else!! The second half is good for a cooldown or a slower jog, and is decent but not as good in my opinion.
This album is still a favourite on my MP3 player, so I encourage you to get hold of it (not the reissue!) as soon as you can!
Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts....

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Civilisation? Sure rocked me!, 5 Mar 2006
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
I have only recent began to 'enter' the drum n bass genre of music - most of my other tastes has been in electronica and stuff, not a whole lot different. I heard Slam while waiting in a Tesco carpark and was amazed. I only caught about half of the song but still was blown away.
Buying the album was certainly a brilliant idea. The cd starts with a very good prelude, with strings and a classical influence. A narrator talks about the vastness of space etc and this sends chills down my spine every time I here it. Then, it moves to Slam, where the classical element remains, but fades out, as the bass and drums kick in and speed up, until the brilliant sounds of Slam explode through.
Plasticworld slows down afterwards, with some music that really appeals to me (its slower drum n bass, with some very electronica style sounds and lyric-samples). After that, the album breaks into a more "real" drum 'n' bass sound, not so cheesy - I'm not a great fan of tracks 4-6. Tarantula brings the album back up again, with a different style.
In brief, this album explores a lot of different styles and has a whole lot of potential. You needn't be a huge drum 'n' bass fanatic, any tastes in electronica music and you will be hooked on this. Buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 1 Feb 2006
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
Purchasing this album marked my second foray into Drum and Bass, the first having been a bad compliation album that I bought a couple of years ago when I didn't know what I was doing. This album is superb and I hope that Pendulum continue to make music such as this because it is unlike any other type of Drum and Bass or Electronica that I've heard.
I feel that Pendulum are put into the D&B category because the music that they make is fast tempo (and contains drumming and bass of course) but the result is an unbelievably encapsulating wall of sound that (when played loud) hits you and goes straight through you, leaving a euphoric smile on your face.
A considerable amount of thought clearly went into this album when they made it - the tracks sound intelligent and well structured. There is a wide-range of music on this album but all the tracks have a good beat, some use vocals (not tacky jungle-style vocals), and some are instrumental.
My favourite tracks are Slam, Sounds of Life, Hold Your Colour and Still Grey. Hold your Colour is something special in my mind, it's an emotive and stunning piece of music. Several of the tracks on this album are almost disturbing in their restlessness - Through the Loop and The Terminal in particular. That said, there isn't a track I don't like on this album.
Buy this CD even if you're cautious about buying D&B like I was. This is a CD that will be appreciated by music lovers of many different varieties I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent for newcomers, good for purists, 24 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
This is genuinely good music. This is drum'n'bass I can get away with putting on at other people's parties. Some of the tracks are not great but none of them are bad. As some of the other reviewers here seem to have noted, Slam and Fasten Your Seatbelts are both fun, chessy d'n'b lite. Tarantula, The Terminal, Through the Loop and Another Planet are all examples of quality producing. Another Planet and the Terminal are proper fatties which can get me dancing in my car sitting in traffic at 8:30am.
Many people may say that this album isn't truly drum'n'bass, perhaps with the exception of the above four songs; the only really dark tech-step can be found on the awesome The Terminal. You won't hear many of the tracks from Hold Your Colour in a club (although Pendulum did play Tarantula at One Nation two weeks ago - nice work). However, I think this album has done wonders for the genre. People will find themselves enjoying this a whole lot without even thinking of the hordes of baseball capped teenagers MCing away at each other, which gives (UK only it seems) d'n'b a chav image.
If you havn't listened to any d'n'b before then buy this, enjoy it and then go and start buying some more of the many wicked tunes which are out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, poorly mastered, 1 Oct 2008
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
This is more of a warning than a review. Basically, every track on the album has two seconds of silence at the end, including the first track "Prelude" which should seamlessly merge into "Slam". Other than this one instance it isn't that annoying, but if that kind of thing would irritate you, you may be better off looking for the original version of the album, which was mixed properly: Hold Your Colour

If you are looking to put the album on a computer or portable media player (iPod, etc.) there are workarounds for this. Once you have bought and ripped the album to your computer, either download a replacement copy of "Prelude" from the original, or edit the track yourself using a program like Audacity. In terms of whether this album is better or worse than the original, the two new tracks are different, and it is personal preference as to whether you will like them more than the original tracks.

It is a shame that the album is faulty, because other than that it is a brilliant piece of work. Every track is filled with energy, and is beautifully crafted. Some particular highlights include "Slam", "Fasten Your Seatbelts", "Sounds of Life", "Hold Your Colour" and "Streamline". However, in my opinion at least, there is not a bad track on the entire album.

Amazing work (as always) Pendulum.
Let down by Breakbeat Kaos / Metropolis.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than D&B, 27 Jan 2006
Mr. A. Maclarty "Andy MacLarty" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
Infectious, melodic and downright fantastic!
Who'd have thought a three Aussie lads could do to drum and bass - what their countrymen have done to cricket!
This is not "boy in a Vauxhall Nova with a big exhaust pipe in the Asda car park" music, if you like melody and seriously foot tapping hooks, this is YOUR album. I have never heard anything like it!
Full-on classy, nasty beats, atmospheric, and mellow.
It's all your birthdays rolled into one.
This is my favorite album of 2005, just wait until you hear Tarantula.

5.0 out of 5 stars So what if they've gone mainstream, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
I'm not much of a fan of d n' b or rock but there are a few bands who depart from the norms in both genres and do their own very recognisable thing. Some posters say this album may be for people who arent much into d n' b and possibly they're right. What I do know is that it's a blast from start to finish - both versions. IMO the replacement tracks on the 2007 re-release - Axle Grinder and Blood Sugar - are better than the two on the 2005 original. IMO the gaps between the tracks on the 2005 version arent that much of a problem although it would've been better if the intro segued into Slam. People can get a bit precious and elitist once 'their' bands cross over into the mainstream and then slag them off accordingly. I guess if you like stuff like The Prodigy's 'Fat of The Land' which mashes up breakbeat with a rock vibe this album should appeal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateur mastering, 1 Sep 2007
B. G. Brereton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)

I'm writing the review to warn potential buyers of the amateur mastering of this release of the CD. Every single track has a 2 second gap before it - including the tracks that are clearly supposed to be joined with the previous track! It's exactly like the CD has been burnt with standard home CD burning software with all the options set to their defaults. I don't know why the original release of the CD is no longer available new or why this version has been issued but if you're thinking of buying this then my advice would be to try to get the original version second-hand (eg through Amazon Marketplace) and hope that the mastering was better the first time around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like being on a plane!, 12 May 2008
Mr. Simon P. Daisley "Simo" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hold Your Colour (Audio CD)
I've very strangely titled ths review as like being on a plane, just because some aspects of it are exactly that! When the album starts the plane is parked on the runway and the engines go down then everything just well.. takes off. You want to close your eyes but are just forced to submit and watch, just as the album opens you can't help just just sit listen or get up and dance like a looney depending on preference! Anyway dispensing with the metaphor, I was never a fan of drum and bass or any music of that kind. I thought that it was just for a certain group of people that was until me and my friend happened to find 'Hold your Colour' on a stone wall out in the middle of nowhere that my views on that music were changed perhaps forever. After we stuck it in the CD player we didn't know what to expect but then we did get addicted to it.
True some may say that its not proper drum and bass, the kind of stuff that you'd find hooded geniuses to be crafting in the basement of their dark and dingy North London flat but this album certainly is a gateway into all of that. Pendulum are so sophisticated in 'Hold your Colour' that they even manage to make Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory sound good, thats in 'Through the Loop' by the way!
With the reissue last year even with the success of the original issue you'd think that Pendulum would make this new version even more accessable (if you could do such a thing) stick a few alternate takes of songs etc yet the only difference is that they have changed the last few tracks with new ones. The two in question being 'Blood Sugar' and 'Axle Grinder', in the broad sense Blood Sugar is the same story as Slam only with a different synth riff but still it does have knack of getting the crowd going. Axle Grinder is true to its name and does sound reminiscent of a car crash, a little atonal and uninteresting.
But to sum up, this album is a cracking good listen and I'm a self confessed bad dancer and I really did myself justice when I went to see them live, it is guaranteed to get you jumping up and down (whether you choose to admit it or not)!
So if in doubt, buy buy buy! You will be pleasantly surprised!

Hold Your Colour