5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant
Published 15 months ago by Viv

2.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY IMMATURE AND SLOW...NEEDS A DECENT EDITOR
Far fetched, extremely juvenile, slow and boring. Felt no connection with any of the characters and there was none between them either. Also needs a decent editor...really not good. 1 and a half stars as I have read worse.
Published 5 months ago by Mel

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 23 Sep 2013
What an amazing story, I only bought it as another author Tijan recommended it. It was a journey, although fiction, that was written in such a way that you felt every piece of pain and despair that Mikyla went through. How the best friend treated her, disgusted does not start to describe her. As for Jake he is what super heroes are made of. I sincerely hope there is another book as this author is just WOW. I would MORE THAN recommend this book. No cliff hanger either.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing first book from this debut author, 24 July 2013
More Than This by Jay McLean

5 beautiful, emotional, Jake Andrews stars!!

"Because I need to know. I need to know how she feels and what she wants from me. From this. If she wants me more than this."

I love it when you stumble across an unknown author, take a chance, start a book, can't put it down, devour it, finish it and with a big fat happy smiley face, think WOW, what have I just read and that is exactly how I felt after reading More Than This!!!

Jay McLean where have you been hiding, this book was awesome!! A great mix of humour, heart ache, romance, love but most of an amazing relationship between Mikayla and Jake. It was ugly and beautiful all at the same time. The circumstances under which these two meet is a high school girls biggest fear..finding out your boyfriend of more than four years has been cheating on you on prom night...and to make matters worse...with your best friend since you were 5 years old, not only that, they have been doing it behind your back for 2 years!! WTF!! Megan, god I hated her..she was one selfish B. It was fate that Jake and Mikayla met, if it wasn't for Logan, Jake's best friend spilling beer over Mikayla, she would never have found out and Jake wouldn't have been there to pick up the pieces, Jake has a lot to thank Logan for!

Jake is Mikayla's knight in shining armour, he comes to her rescue, witnessing her meltdown after her showdown with James and Megan. What a total douche James is!! He takes her to his prom, introduces her to his friends and the rest is history...new friendships are born and so is some sizzling chemistry between Jake and Mikayla. Although you feel the sexual tension radiating off the page, it is made all the more believable as they become friends before lovers..there is a slow build up in their relationship. Mikayla's night goes from bad to horrific and Jake is still there, comforting and holding her, everything she needs and wants he is there, so bloody perfect...swoooon.

Mikayla slowly but surely has to try and put her life back together again, Jake's family are totally amazing and welcome her with open arms. Jake, as it turns out is a star baseball pitcher, everyone has high expectations for him, everyone knows him and it takes a while for Mikayla to connect the dots when she realises this is THE Jake Andrews that her dad has been freaking out about for years...more than FATE!

Their relationship is truly beautiful, it is a like watching a butterfly escape from its cocoon for the first time and slowly but surely unfurls it wings, flaps them a bit to dry up and get its strength and then you get to nearly the end when finally it is strong enough to fly. It was a truly beautiful story. Yes it had its ups and downs and misunderstandings, but what new relationship doesn't. They did need to be a more open with each other about their feelings but they got there eventually. It takes some wise words from Logan for Mikayla to really see....

"Jake, he saw you at your worst. He was there when your life changed and your heart shattered. He was there to help you piece some of it back together. He's seen it all Micky. He's seen you at your worst and he still fell in love with you. Like, truly, the forever kind of love with you. And I'm sorry, because I think you are wrong. Maybe you don't need to be a complete person, or maybe you do. But maybe, he's it. Maybe he's the other half of you."

Jake knew that he couldn't rush Mikayla, no matter how hard it was for both of them.

"Because if I kiss you, then I'll want to taste you, and if I taste you, then I'll need to F you. And when I F you, it means your mine. And when I make you mine, I want it to be in our bed. Not a hotel room... Is that Okay?" Holy. Effing. S***

This book made me cry, a lot, both with sorrow and joy and it is hard for an author to convey so many emotions and not all can carry it off, but this one can. I was an emotional wreck throughout this book, it was like being on a rollercoaster ride of emotions, but I was like an addict, I could not put the book down, it was like my kindle was glued to my hand and it would not let me let go until I had read the last sentence....and what a last sentence it was...OMG...I had to re-read it as I didn't get it at first, but when I realised my school girl error it was WTF!! And then my heart broke all over again!!

This book is not a cliff hanger..but there are going to be more books to the series, Logan's story is up next and I cannot wait for that one!

My favourite bits, Mikayla's bedtime story from her mum. So poignant and so emotional!

"The very first kiss with your Prince will change your life. When your lips touch for the first time, the earth will feel like it stops moving, but in the same moment, the world around you spins. It'll feel like fireworks in the night sky. Like a bright light in the darkness. You'll feel your heart beat fast in your ears but silence will surround you. And when you open your eyes and look at each other, and really see each other. You'll know in that moment, through that kiss, that you've just let someone own a piece of your heart, and you'll live happily ever after."

The letter boxes and the letters that both Mikayla and Jake write, a[...]

I would say this is a Mature YA/NA book, there are some sexy scenes in here, all done extremely tastefully. Jake is a bit of an alpha male, he can be hot headed if anyone even so much as looks at Mikayla the wrong way, whilst for some it can irritating for me it made him all the more loveable. The side characters in this book are truly amazeballs and make for a fantastic series to follow, I really cannot wait!!

I can't even convey how much I loved this book, just give it a go, it is well worth the money and as I have said an amazing read. What are you waiting for...go 1click....you won't be disappointed!

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart-Breaking Story I Loved, 17 Dec 2014
Amber (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Than This (Paperback)
More Than This is an emotionally charged story revolving around a girl who has just lost everything she held dear to her in one fell swoop. From both main character's points of view we go through the hurt and the tragedy along with them. Mikayla loses a lot in a short space of time with one witness to it all; Jake Andrews. He's an almost stranger but he takes her under his wing in her time of need and builds up the shattered pieces of her once whole self. Through this forms a strong connection to each other but Kayla doesn't know if she can give herself to someone when she's only half-fixed.

The prologue was what sucked me in. Everyone says that the beginning of a book is what matters because who's going to carry on reading if you're about .5 seconds away from dozing off? No one. This very first chapter was intense and for such a short piece of writing it did the job of keeping me interested. Betrayal? Death? Murder?! I definitely did not expect those last two from reading the synopsis.

For such an unhappy prologue the first chapter was such a contrast. I got to see Kayla pre-tragedy which I think was very important to include now that I've reached the end. Even though her family joked at her expense it was happy and joyful and I really felt what Kayla felt. There was lots of laughter and excitement and I found myself smiling to myself wondering how it can go from wanting to junk-punch her own dad for singing a rude version of Baby to life-altering tragedy. But I guess that's the thing; it can take only a second to lose everything. I knew pretty soon that something was up with Megan and I was right about it all too. The whole thing was pretty cliche but it happens. This is the turning point in the book. This was where things went from carefree to utter loss.

It's hard to write reviews for books where so much happens because I'm now finding that there's so much I can't write about in case I spoil it for someone. So let's start with the characters.

The main character, Kayla (also known as Micky and Mikayla) was someone I grew to love. She was beautifully broken and I still cannot fathom how she got through each day. The things she went through are unfathomable to me and I can't say I'd be as strong as she was if I were in her position. I liked that she allowed herself to feel and didn't apologise for feeling sad or crying. Too often characters like her will try to act tough and hold their tears back but all that's doing is causing a dam and when it breaks, the story breaks with it. Kayla was emotional but she also grew to be head-strong. Who says you can't be both? I was super proud of her at the end for what she decided.

"I don't think you should let bad people dictate whether you have a good life. "

Now for Jake, the male main character. I liked him too, less so at some points throughout the story but generally his character was really well developed. He had a past, one he doesn't talk too freely about but through those experiences he became a much better person. He could be modest, shy and hesitant but he could also be loud and explosive when it mattered. He was constantly there for Kayla even when he thought she didn't want the comfort and I found myself wishing for a Jake Andrews. I wanted to knock him out at times though, I really did. He could be jealous and a complete caveman when it came to his relationship with Kayla. I understood it when she would speak to her ex boyfriend but sometimes things were so innocent it was hard to believe that Jake would blow his top like he did. It bothered me a lot when he would stress out about how she doesn't like him, how she just wants to be friends etcetc but I guess they were both like that. It was their own faults for guessing what the other wanted and not actually communicating out loud. So yes I liked Jake but sometimes he could be a pig. Typical neanderthal-knuckle-dragging boy.

The group that started off as 'Jake's friends' were wonderful characters. I truly found myself wanting a group of friends like this. There was Heidi, Cam, Lucy, Logan and Dylan and every one of them made Kayla, a girl they'd known for a few minutes, feel totally at home within their company. It was the easy kind of friendship, no questions. The girls were my favourite, they went to extreme lengths to make Kayla feel welcome after what she'd gone through and whilst the boys did this too it was the girls who really came through for her. They offered clothes, personal items and comfort. Lucy even got a 'book best friend' through meeting Kayla and the friendship was instantaneous. Nothing like a good book to bring together two people. Jake's family was just an incredible addition. Once again they brought Kayla into their lives, no questions asked, they just did it. A second family. Truly good people. Here's a quote from Logan;

"Maybe you don't need to be a complete person, or maybe you do. But maybe he's it - maybe he's the other half of you."
This coming from the boy without the girlfriend!

Something I absolutely adored about this book? The guys cried. I know it's a minute part of the story but it really made me respect Jay McLean as an author. Boys don't cry. They're told it's wussy and girly to show emotions and to cry when sad or happy and I think that's why I was so surprised when it happened the first time. That doesn't happen often in books or real life. Guys are always portrayed as macho and nothing-can-touch-me but I really loved seeing the boys expressing such emotion. They weren't afraid to let others see them cry. BOYS YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CRY!!!! Always, always, always. Ultra-respect for Jay here!

There was definite instalove here but... I don't know why but I don't hate it. It just seemed different. I knew it was there but because they'd experienced all of these things together and formed a connection like they were each other's life support it just seemed normal and expected. Plus Jake was always such a good person even to a stranger so, hell, I'd fall for him in an instant too. It was lovely to watch him care so much for her and, relating to the above paragraph, how he didn't do the whole 'Nope, I can't be in love with a girl no way!' thing. It was just a fact to him. He knew how he felt and although he took his time in telling her he didn't fake indifference in any way. He actually grew so dependent on her, and vice versa, that it almost became unhealthy.

One thing I did not like was how Kayla stayed even though I think she was right to want to move out even just for a little while to find herself. She wanted to find who she was without Jake who had become pretty much attached at the hip since 'that night'. I wish she had moved out, even if she went back a week later, she'd have known she could be alone. I never got to see that and I really wish I had.

I had an idea about the twist at the end. I was going back and fourth between two possibilities and trying to work out HOW but I knew the gist of it and even though I did I wasn't disappointed. That whole chapter was major closure not just for Kayla but for me as the reader.

What I find the hardest about writing reviews for realistic fiction is that it could be real. Like this isn't just a story, this could easily be someone's life. Not word for word of course but this could happen to someone and I'm sure it has. As I said above I cannot imagine how that feels and for the author to write about it with such fierce emotion is incredible. It felt real and it hurt when I put myself in Kayla's shoes but I doubt it hurt half as much as it actually would if any of this happened to me. Unfathomable.

More Than This was an emotional rollercoaster with definite highs and lows. One second things were getting hot and heavy and the next they were screaming and crying. Some parts were hilarious, some were heart-shattering, some were pure happiness and truthfully I loved every second of Jake and Kayla's story. I guess you could say I "more-than-a-lot" liked this book! It is so hard for me to put into words how much this book truly meant to me, I'll never be able to explain it. All I can say is read this book and then tell me how you feel.

Do I recommend this book? Absolutely but only for 17+ years old simply because of the sex and language. If you're looking for a book to help you regain a little faith in humanity this one is for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY IMMATURE AND SLOW...NEEDS A DECENT EDITOR, 23 July 2014
This review is from: More Than This (More Than Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Yet another one with an amazing amount of 5 star reviews and yet another returned for a refund. Getting so disheartened...will have to go back to my old faithful author's and stop trying new ones for a while I think. The sheer volume of rubbish being put out there is starting to put me off reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, 9 Sep 2013
Have to say I was a little disappointed with this. Seemed Very far fetched and I really found it really hard to believe someone could bounce back so easily it appeared from some devasting tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it Loved it Loved it, 30 Aug 2013
Yes people I loved this book more than a lot! I totally couldn't put it down and got drawn into the story. It was an amazing book from a debut author and I cannot wait to read more from her. This book totally got under my skin. Im not going to write a big long review because I don't think I can actually do it justice! but go buy it now. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Story, 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: More Than This (More Than Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely adored this story! Through a series of tragic events Mikayla and Jake are brought together. It doesn't take long for the two to realize they have a strong connection. But will outside forces keep them apart. I got this book from a giveaway. And I couldn't put it down. I thought Jake and Kayla were such great characters. Can't wait for Logan's story to come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plot that ruined the book for me, 22 April 2014
The first half of the story was.... The "Hero" was just kind of my perfect hero!

Yes thats right! The "Heroes" qualities swept me of my feet from the moment he entered the picture! It was not only about his physical appearances that with no equivocation were "great" assets to his charms, but his protectiveness and his caring ministrations towards the heroine stood out above other things! The guy was so attentive towards the heroine at her lowest time of her life and he was there for her regardless the consequences! You have to love this hero...he put his heart and soul to make sure the heroine was cherished, loved and well cared for! Yes for once I want to read about a "Hero" more than just his physical greatness!

But the perfect boyfriend turns out not so perfect after all...

Lets just say, the author put him in the "stereotype mansl*t hero" that just swims all over in the romance gender! That was a disappointing turn of the author's direction. When he admitted that the number of girls he slept with could rose to "50" considering his teenage age I just shrinked in response. In that moment I felt revulsion instead admiration that I felt for him earlier on. I know we live in a 21 century and casual sex is pretty much a way of life for most of us, but still it makes me sad that our generation's foundations are build by the hook up culture. We have become so reliant on “hooking up” that we rarely make a more intimate and emotional connection with one another. It has become all about sex and a complete lack of courtship. Yes, were are occupied with priorities on our own goals, but is it really so terrible to want to have someone with whom to share our success? Our hopes, dreams and future? It shouldn't be. And when did “emotionally unavailable” become a thing? Is our generation so afraid of commitment interpreting it as a wast of time?

Another thing I did not liked was the way the "Hero" acted toward his baby-sister. She was only 8 years old and so very easily could be put in a very vulnerable position that "the hero" put her in and it was not so cool!

He was very angry at his friend and caused a violent scene and did not care for his sister's welfare....

"I hear Julie squeal in the car, but I don’t give a s***"

At that point my respect for him slimmed further...Then his sister was frightened of him and run out on the street, so his reaction was so irresponsible that could actually cause harm to his sister in my humble opinion. Then he said something....

“Fine. But my eight year old sister better not end the day looking like a wh**e.”

I was like WHAT??? It was so inappropriate and out of line and the fact that he touched his ex girlfriend's hair at a party not actually explaining why??? That ultimately reduced my good estimation of "the hero."

On the positives side, James the heroines cheating ex boyfriend redeem himself enough that in the end I felt sorry for him. Also the interactions between the friends were awesome and how supportive they were towards each other. It gave me a positive feeling about this story and the heroes parents were such an admiration to anyone. Many would consider themselves very lucky to have a parents like the hero had to accept and love a complete stranger is not an easy thin to achieve...so it is a good thing and so the book was not all lost on me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 1 Mar 2014
The book is written from both the main characters POV which I love because you get to feel the characters and their emotions. At first I felt the writing was robotic and consequently was difficult to feel the characters. However it was just a case of getting use to a different style of writing. I did enjoy the story with the exception of the long drawn out commitment issues with Kayle and Jake is too good to be true ... For mature readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 13 Feb 2014
What a story! I mean God how much does one girl have to go through in one short night? This book told a strong story of fate and a love so strong it consumes you. I can't wait to read Logan's book