5.0 out of 5 stars A dark, dark book but oh so very good
First off HEED THE WARNING!!!!! This book is beyond dark. It's messed up in ways you've probably never imagined and it WILL make you feel strong emotions.
Published 6 months ago by bookfreak

3.0 out of 5 stars The decimation of mae
Published 5 months ago by kazza

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark, dark book but oh so very good, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Decimation of Mae (The Blue Butterfly Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Mae...She's had a rough life, then it gets worse. She meets the devil in the disguise of a nice, handsome man. He ends up been her absolute worse nightmare and ends up having a massive effect on her life from then on. Mae has got to be the strongest female character i've ever read in a book.
She's dealing with her problems in her own messed up way when HE comes back again. He makes their first meetings seem like a walk in the park compared to what he puts her through when he gets to her again. But Mae's a fighter and fight she does.
This book made me feel very conflicted. I loved Mae, such a strong, lovable character. Him, on the other hand, isn't that simple. I started off liking him, soon switched to hating him then on to thinking he maybe wasn't that bad, then bam.....the twists start and make your head spin. So many wtf moments in this book, it keeps you on your toes and rooting for Mae. The ending blew me away. I am a massive fan of this author, and i am loving her first real journey to the dark, dark side. This has got to be her best book to date and i highly recommend it but ONLY if you like dark books. If you're looking for sweet romance and hearts and flowers then this isn't for you. If on the otherhand you like a good dark, gripping, emotional book then this is the book for you. Again HEED THE WARNING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE STARS WOULD BE GIVEN IF POSSIBLE!, 14 July 2014
Reviewed by Traci Hyland for Kindle Friends Forever

I am going to start by saying that I am not a fan of dark reads. I don’t read them, and if something is said to be dark and I've read it, chances are it still had a happy ending as I'm a HEA girl so for me it’s not dark. However, D H Sidebottom is one of my all-time favourite authors and I read anything she writes. (Even if she wrote the directions to how to cook turtle soup, I’d read it.) So there was no way I was going to walk away from this and honestly, I was scared … Reading this subject matter scared the crap out of me because it’s so NOT what I read… That being said, I put on my big girl panties and went for it, and I'm so glad I did. This is absolutely in my top three best books I've ever read.

This book has not only ripped me apart, but my heart is also beating on the living room floor somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it later! You get a type of violence that I find difficult to read about, but you also get a love that you didn't expect. I screamed, I cried, I threw my kindle… My heart raced, my tears flowed. Anyone who knows me and my style of reviewing/reading knows I usually hate the female lead. They almost always suck but that doesn't mean I hate the books, it just means I always lean toward the male character in almost every book. This was not the case here. Mae is strong, intelligent, beautiful inside and out, and oh so very broken. You can’t not love her and cry with her, as well as for her. She doesn't need your sympathy, she needs your understanding and empathy whether she realizes it or not. She needs to be loved.

Mae’s had a difficult life of loss, but one she’s accepted and simply lived until she meets Daniel whom she considers the Devil. Mae is kidnapped and thrown into a dark world of slave training. She doesn’t know her ultimate destiny is to be a slave. She thinks she has been kidnapped for the sole benefit of Daniel, the devil. Mae is determined to never stop fighting or willingly submit. The events that ensue are nothing like I have ever read before. Mae is now merchandise, a slave, property, a whore, and now… stock.

I don’t want to give too much away, but I will say that some of the twist and turns had me on the edge of my seat, and some, shocked the living hell out of me. Nothing was as I expected or anticipated it to be. When I was introduced to Daniel, I loved him, and then I hated him so so much and then… it all turns for me and I love him again! I never expected the ending and was shocked to hell. Nevertheless, I have to say it was an amazing ending which came full circle for these two and for me. I adored Daniel all the more in the epilogue. I don’t know how to express how much this book blew me away, how something I never expected to like, marked me and gave me the biggest book hangover. I am having trouble focusing on other books because it keeps popping up in my head. I felt Mae’s pain, and not just her physical pain, but emotional as well. And heaven knows she carried a lot on her plate, including things she didn't even know she was carrying.

This book is beautifully written and the grammar and spelling are perfect. I would recommend this book 100 times over. This book has changed my mind when it comes to dark reads. This author has given me so much in the book world, my fantasy world if you will, and hands down, I’d rather read her books 100 times over than ever turn on my television.

5.0 out of 5 stars You all need to read this book! haunting in the best way, 14 July 2014
Intense, raw and pure dark brilliance. This took D.H Sidebottom to another level for me. She has always been queen of angsty , raw and gritty books but this one topped them all. It was as if she evoked the dark lord himself and then used a dark poetic pen to transform him onto paper. Daniel was scary! End off. He lacked any form of empathy to begin with and had me gasping in shock at just how brutal he was for a main character. I won't say i fell in love with him as the book went on but my feelings did change towards him but that was down to Mae, i lived the story through her and was wrapped in her essence as the story breathtakingly progresses. It is an edge of your seat, breath holding, heart wrenching battle of over coming darkness and never losing yourself no matter if the devil himself comes to claim you and in it all still finding a place to leave your heart... even if its in the shadows of a tainted soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm wrecked, just absolutely stunningly twisted and beautiful, 15 July 2014
I can't begin to say how absolutely blown away I am with this. As I type I'm still sobbing uncontrollably, I'm wrecked, this will fully drain your emotions.
I read this in one sitting as it is impossible to put down, thank you Dawn, yet again your writing astounds me.
A must read, not for the faint-hearted, brilliant, so very highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of pure brilliance that brought me to my knees!!!, 15 July 2014
Before I'd even turned the first page, "The Decimation of Mae" already had me intrigued. The cryptic synopsis was enough to wet my appetite and as for that big ass warning giving me the opportunity to turn back whilst I had the chance... nope wasn't going to happen and so I threw myself in head first. Holy crap, nothing could have prepared me for what lay ahead. This was one dark, sick, twisted, depraved read where everything went and nothing... and I mean nothing was held back. Take heed of the warning folks... it's there for a reason. This book will mess with your head but for me... that's what I loved about it. Yup, my mind's a little warped!!! lol

"You are the lamb. I am the shepherd. I will control your every move. I will direct and govern you until you learn your place.
And I will guide you along the path to your slaughter."

From the word go, "The Decimation of Mae" pulled emotions from me. I felt so much sorrow and hurt which then morphed into anger and frustration and even hatred on so many occasions. And even now, after I've finished up, I still can't stop thinking about the story. How could a book be so brutal, so ugly, so tragic, so horrific for the most part yet bring me to my knees at the end? I don't know how D.H Sidebottom did it but my heart ached, it broken and eventually it shattered into a million pieces, the tears that had threatened to fall finally making their appearance during the last 10%.

Twists and turns toyed with me, leaving me gob smacked and shocked to the core time and time again. I'll be honest, there were a couple of curve balls that seemed maybe a little unrealistic, that had me saying 'what the hell?" But I think that was more towards the end of the book where the proverbial well and truly hit the fan and every single skeleton came out of the closet!!! I never saw any of it coming. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion with things coming to the surface left right and centre. There was a lot to take in but looking back, I can see how it all fit. My advice... Take your time and absorb every little detail you read. It will all eventually come together and make sense.

"I intrigue you. You can't understand me and that aggravates you, infuriates you even.
Whatever or however you try, you know deep down that you will never own me.
You will never control me and I will never surrender to your darkness."

Mae's character was just amazing. She had a real strength to her despite everything she had been through and all that lay ahead. Her fighting spirit, her defiance left me in awe and that mouth of hers had me in stitches more times than I can count... yes I know...who laughs when a book holds so much sadness within it's pages...trust me... when you meet this woman, you'll completely get it. It somehow worked.

As for "the devil"... what can I say. He was ruthless and unforgiving in his quest to break Mae, a monster of the worst kind. He was evil in its purest form, not once giving me the opportunity to feel anything but hatred for him. His actions, his behaviour, his words... everything about him was cold calculated and sadistic, never apologising for the way he was. There was a reason Mae called him the devil... he was Lucifer himself and Mae was in his playground... hell!!!

"I will break you, Mae," he hissed in my ear, his hot breath torture against my cold, damp skin.
"I will possess you so entirely that you will ask for permission to breathe"

D.H Sidebottom wrote an amazing book in "The Decimation of Mae" and I was 100% invested the story. Her writing was so visual, it made my stomach turn at times but I wouldn't have it any other way. It was perfect and really helped to bring Mae's story to life. This was one hell of an amazing read and I need more.... I want inside "the devil's head!" Crazy I know but I need answers to questions I have, answers only this man could give me. Unfortunately, told solely from Mae's POV, I got very little from him... very little indeed, the author holding the cards on this character very close to her chest.. I wonder why? Lol

I can't begin to give this book anything less than 5 Hearts. This is one story that will stay with me for a long time.

"The devil wears many masks Mae." I smiled at him.
"And an angel has many personalities."

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing!!, 14 July 2014
I am a huge fan of D H Sidebottom and hugely honoured to recieve an ARC copy prior to release of this truly amazing book. The author has far exceeded her previous work with The Decimation of Mae and I have to say I love seeing her work evolve with each book.

Mae Swift is a character that you will not easily forget after reading this book, I have had her in my head all week and pondered over how to leave a review without giving away spoilers and then I read the book again to try and help me, to just be blown away again by the story of Mae Swift.

This is a dark read that deals with tough subject matters but they are not brought to you in an overly gratuitous manner. My initial reaction to this book and my words to the author is that it is beautiful, brutually beautiful that is.

Mae is a character you meet and think is so irrevocably broken by life that it has made her weak, then you are shown you are wrong and realise she is one of the fiercest characters you have read. Life has not been kind to Mae and she is OK with that but she isn't ready to be beaten down by things she can have a say in even when she perhaps shouldn't.

Dawn had me crying quite early on in the book, hating on characters, angry for Mae and the hand dealt her time and again, then the last quarter of the book was spent reading through tears ending with one of the most excruciatingly bittersweet epilogues I have ever read.

So read with an open mind as the twists to this story are jaw dropping and tissues, plenty of tissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five wonderful twisted stars *****, 22 Sept. 2014
M. Mason "Spikeslave" (Glossop, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
Fluffy story - check
Hearts and flowers - check
Declarations of love - check

Only kidding!

If you want the above, them leave this review now, because this story is DARK. However if you love dark tales of despair, of the pits of human suffering and depravity, then you’ve come to the right place.

I have to say this book had one of the best Prologue’s i’ve read. From the minute I read it, I was drawn in and the funny part is, when you’ve finished the book, you need to go back and reread it. You need to reread it because you get a lot from it, when you know every part that Mae is talking about, every step of the journey she takes to the end.

The decimation of Mae is unsurprisingly the story of Mae. Mae is alone in the world and doesn’t really have friends. She’s at a point in her life where she’s not making great decisions and being manhandled at a party, she is rescued from her kind of boyfriend, Mae hopes for better things.

What Mae doesn’t realise is that she has opened her own personal gates into hell. From the brutal first wave to the then reunion years later, Mae is tossed into a world of pain, a pit of despair from which she fights to retain her identity. Everything she has ever known and believed about herself will be called into question along the way. Her relationship with her ‘Master’ is often difficult to endure, and comprehend, especially as it confuses them both, and his is not the only dark soul that Mae endures.

If you are looking for a book with a happy ending, then this is not the book for you. If you are intrigued by all sides of human nature and being able to see the good, even within the beast, then I believe you’ve found what you are looking for.

Me, I love dark and twisted stories. Rarely do they make me cry. Instead i’m fascinated by the whirl of human emotions, the kaleidoscope of human capacity in respect of behaviour. So for me, I was left with a huge smile on my face at a fine, clever piece of storytelling, and looking forward to the next book I pick up from D H Sidebottom, because I know i’ll be back for more.

This review is short and sweet for a reason. I want you to feel every step of the story, I want you to experience it all with fresh eyes, and I want you to get the full emotional impact of every second of Mae’s existence

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 magnificently dark and disturbing Stars., 18 Aug. 2014
Amazon Customer (Wiltshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This book is so dark, so depraved and mentally twisted that it was painful to read and witness the abhorrence of Mae's situation. I hated what she went through, the injustice of the abuse and horrors she was subjected to in captivity was soul destroying, and yet her character was no victim. Unbelievably strong with a spirit deemed unbreakable, a pillar of strength that was admiring as much as the consequences of her actions of defiance, terrifying. I have never silently cried so much whilst reading a book. Chapter after chapter my tears flowed, and they didn't ebb, not even at the end. I am, for a better word, annihilated... decimated...completely undone. This book, in all its twisted brilliance, destroyed me!

So, why the five stars? Because as much as this story disgusted me at times, I couldn't look away. I absorbed every word all in one sitting; a pleasurable and painful experience. Just like Mae, I became a victim to the conditioning, although willing... because the prose, the style, the flow, the dialect (English girl here), the descriptive text, was faultless.

Without planting spoilers, this is very much a Stockholm Syndrome story but it has a different vibe to any of the others I've read because there is no get out clause. There is a twist here, and one, that if I'm honest, gutted me to the point of pain. My stomach and my heart hurt for this woman, but the events towards the end made me understand things that little bit more.

The lamb and the shepherd have a unique connection but whereas in other dark romances I have come to connect with the enforcer of abuse, I couldn't here. Daniel terrified me. The master of hurt and humiliation, the harbinger of pain, all in the name of sexual submission and slavery. His actions were unforgivable and I hated every fibre of his being.
Then... another revelation, a sweet little twist of hope.

I guessed it a few chapters before but it was great to see my vision come to light, even though the end was so far fetched, he wouldn't have been given that honour if this was real life, but isn't that the magic about fiction... and thank goodness is all I can say.

Daniel Shepherd has a way to go to redeem himself, but I have hope, I'm just not quite ready to forgive him just yet.

I guess we will see where things lie in book two, which I will be reading because if it is anywhere near as profound and emotionally raw as its predecessor, I know it will be another great, albeit upsetting, read!

Certainly not for the fainthearted but fans of CJ Roberts, Pepper Winters, Pam Godwin and Tabitha McGowan may want to read this one!

5 magnificently dark and disturbing Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest review given, 13 Aug. 2014
Oh wow! For the first time in a long time, I find myself at a loss for words....but I can say that the fabulously talented D H Sidebottom has done it again!!!
Let me start this review by saying that if you're looking for a sweet love story, with a cherry-on-top happy ending, this is NOT the book for you.
If, however, you're looking for an incredibly brilliant book, filled with darkness and distress, anguish and pain, look no further.
Yet within the story that has been woven so perfectly, you will find resilience, strength and a glimmer of hope.
Mae has been dealt a life of pain and loss and it culminates in her surrender...not to a person but to her hopelessness and sorrow. With a deep seated need to avoid the world surrounding her, she retreats to a mere existence. All she wants is to find peace but just when she becomes resigned to her desolate circumstances, her worst nightmare is resurrected.
The source of this pain? I guess some would say pure evil. But what happens when her heart and her head are at odds with one another? What if her body betrays her too?
This book will not be to everyone's taste. Personally, I love the dark, twisted tales...the ones surrounding the damaged souls....this is my favourite genre!
This book does not disappoint. It consumed me and I read it in one sitting - one torturous, angst-filled, tear-filled, wonderful sitting.
It is utterly brilliant!
Not only is the writing beautifully descriptive, allowing you to feel every shiver, every glower, every viscous remark and strike to the soul but it drags emotions from you whether you like it it not!
It tore at my heart and I just couldn't put it down. It affected me in a way that only a few other books have done, leaving me with the need to pause, reflect and recollect myself before attempting to write this review.
Although not a cliffhanger, you will undoubtably be left wanting more and I'm ecstatic to hear that there is another book in this, the Blue Butterfly Series.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! If I could give it more than 5 stars I would do so in a heartbeat! Bravo on another exhilarating, blood pumping masterpiece!

3.0 out of 5 stars The decimation of mae, 8 Aug. 2014
I hate how these books have the girls falling in love with these guys because of their big Brown eyes and dimples. Don't worry about the fact that he had kidnapped,raped,manipulated,tortured mentally and physically and beat the s*** out of her. Oh no no all that doesn't matter and then we all have a pity party for the poor wee misunderstood rapist. Please give me a break it is so unbelievable. This is why I can only give this book 3 stars why have them fall in love WHY!!!!!!!. There is no way Daniel is capable of love he is completely soulless he has ice running thro his veins. Thro the majority of the book he is an evil bastard.Who rapes and beats a woman with terminal cancer. He let his father brutalize her in the most horrific ways and then all of a sudden a flip is switched and he loves her. It all happened far to quickly to be believable. There is also alot missing from the story. How did Daniel start "hunting" he had been only doing it fir 6yrs so what was he doing before that. , who is frank how does he know Daniel, why is he with him. . Frank's last phone call is a joke calling her sweetheart telling her how brave she is then why the hell didn't help her. What is Daniel's relationship with Demi. Spud we saw him once in the books but he was supposedly behind Mae's kidnapping where was he if he was the one in charge. And how did Danielo get mae and Lola out of the house without being stopped by his father or demi.

Mae is the hero of this book . Her life has been hell since her parents and sister passed away. She has been in foster care and the only way to deal with her pain is to cut herself. She has had to fight and only has herself to rely on. The first time Daniel rapes her nearly destroys her and her cutting gets worse. When he comes back for her again she fights him with everything she has got. She refuses to let him in to see her darkest secrets. ge As her tumour gets worse the more she fights him. She hates him he has destroyed her she can't even die in peace she wants to die on her terms with no pain for once in her life. Mae had used pain to heal herself and starts to use the pain that Daniel inflicts as a way to heal. She starts to feel a connection with him and is disgusted with herself how can she love the devil. I'm goin to blame her feelings on her tumour as I refuse to
believe that she loves him. She drops a bombshell on Daniel which sets in motion their escape. There is a second book due which is goin to be about Daniel and what happens after Mae's death. I'm not sure if I will read it as I don't like Daniel and no matter how good the book is I don't think I ever will.