Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 27 September 2002
I have really enjoyed all Christina Jones' books, and this one is no exception. With all the twists and turns which we have come to expect, spanners thrown into the works; a couple of old characters cropping up and new ones to cheer on, it keeps you enthralled right up to the last page.
Anything else I should do is put on hold when I get a new book by this author, and I can't wait for the next one. I would recommend it to anyone.
on 16 September 2002
I cannot describe how wonderful this book is. I love all Christina Jones's books and after the fabulous Nothing To Lose, I wondered how it was possible to keep up the standard. Well, Ms Jones has done it again. And some. All about friendships and fresh starts, Tickled Pink takes you to the magical world of Steeple Fritton, a delightful village full of eccentric, quirky, believeable, warm and absorbing characters and makes you wish you lived there too. I was involved from the first moment. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more, and was left, as ever with this author's books, with a warm glow of contentment when I had finished. I read it in a sitting. I'm sure you will too. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Anyone needing a lift from a gloomy day will be sure to have their spirits restored by Tickled Pink. It should be available on the NHS! Bring some warmth and happiness into your life today and buy this book now!
on 21 September 2002
Oh how I wish I could visit the B&B at Steeple Fritton and meet all the people I have got to know in this novel. It seems incredible that they don't have a life other than within the pages of a book!
Like Christina Jones' other books, this one explores a world (Steam Engines) that will not be familiar to most of us, but the characters draw us in from the beginning. What will happen to Posy? And what is to become of Lola?
This is one of those books where you simply must set aside enough time to read it. Don't think that you will be able to let 'real' life intrude until you have reached the very end! And what a surprising, and satisfactory, ending it is.
Another wonderful book by this superb author.
on 3 February 2003
I read this book whilst on holiday and when I came home I really felt like I'd been to two places in that week, Tenerife and Steeple Fritton! Christina Jones defiantely brings that little village alive. I really wished I could go to the fair!
It's the first Christina Jones book I have read and have just ordered 2 more. It's both funny and poignant and the characters are both lovable and eccentric. It's not your usual romance, it's about people finding happiness in their lives, the romance is an added bonus.
A thoroughly enjoyable read and a definate page-turner which will have you chuckling out loud.
on 12 October 2003
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. Tickled Pink is the only book that I just have to look at that makes me smile. It was the first book of Christina Jones' that I read, I've since read them all and she is just a fantastic author. Without knowing me how did she write about everyone I know? With each book I feel I am reading about the people that I know and love and I can picture it all! For anyone who has dashed to the Maternity Unit at the Royal Berks then read it! Tickled Pink is well read and touched by friends, but I love it so much I will not lend it to anyone! Buy your own! Enjoy and buy them all!
on 8 May 2003
I loved 'Tickled Pink' but I am so cross with Christina Jones!!! She has written such a 'page-turner' that on a recent transatlantic flight to Canada instead of sleeping, as I had intended during the flight, I read for the entire journey - simply couldn't put the blasted book down. I arrived with dried out eyeballs!!
I was happily ensconced in Steeple Fritton sharing in all the goings on whilst films, food and stewardesses came and went. I laughed out loud several times. I didn't quite finish it and for once I was hoping that we might be held in a queue over Toronto but no such luck!
I'm a bookworm with broad tastes but I love the books by Christina Jones as she always seems to give her readers a taste of something different as they always have a colourful and unusual central theme. We are then educated (gently) as well as royally entertained.
Thanks for all the entertaining hours spent in your beautifully painted fictional world. Pure escapism at its best. I can't wait for the next one Christina.
on 30 November 2002
This is a fantastic story; a tale of two completely different characters from different walks of life that are thrown together and form an unlikely friendship. Lola and Posy are brilliant main characters in a story that will have you laughing out loud, sympathising and impatiently waiting for two new relationships to take off, with many frustrating obstacles along the way. I truly cannot wait for Christina Jones to write another book so I guess I will just have to go all the way back to Going The Distance and start reading them all again!
on 20 September 2002
Really enjoyed this one, it was such fun. I do wish Christina Jones would write for soaps, she'd liven up EastEnders no end. Her characters really step off the page and come alive, I think she should start a Steeple Fritton website and let us know how they all get on. I think I've also fallen in love with Flynn, pity he's spoken for. One word of warning, this is not a book to start when you've got masses to do! It won't get done. I meant to save it for my holiday, but couldn't resist the first page, and then the next, and the next...
on 31 August 2014
I always enjoy reading Christina Jones's books and this was was just as much fun as the others. She has some brilliant, larger than life characters and there are always some good twists and turns in the romance (which I think is essential to keep the reader turning the pages.) I love the setting too, you can tell Christina knows the area well (bit strange that an earlier review seemed to think otherwise, although the book was written a little while ago, I believe) and the Traction Engine was a great addition. A very worthwhile read.
on 29 October 2014
Steeple Fritton is a quaint country village in the doldrums. The village pub, The Crooked Sixpence, is run by the less-than-charming landlord, Hogarth, who is hardly welcoming. There are empty shops and a bed and breakfast that is barely managing to break even.
Posy is in the doldrums, too. When the novel starts she has been dumped by her childhood sweetheart and, as their wedding day arrives, she decides to run away and make a new life for herself in Swindon. As you do. Luckily for Posy, a problem with her beloved motorbike and a chance encounter with a dog called Persephone sees her heading back to Steeple Fritton, determined to hold her head high and show everyone she's not defeated.
Lola arrives in Steeple Fritton by pure chance. She's had the worst run of bad luck and feels life can't get much worse. To make things even more difficult, she ends up at the bed and breakfast place run by Posy's parents, and it turns out that she and Posy are both nursing broken hearts but are from different sides of the fence, which initially leads to a great deal of tension and hostility.
Gradually, Posy and Lola decide to take matters into their own hands and turn not only their own lives around, but the fate of Steeple Fritton itself. When two gorgeous men arrive in the village hearts begin to heal and hopes begin to surface, but Flynn and Ellis have their own baggage, and there are tough decisions, sizzling passion, laughter and heartbreak ahead for all four of them.
I loved the warmth of this book. It had a real, cosy village feel to it, and there was a wonderful assortment of secondary characters with marvellous names like Tatty and Glad and The Pinks. I liked the fact that good things didn't just start to happen for Posy and Lola - they made them happen. They took charge of their lives and, despite the blows that life had dealt them, they stopped moping pretty quickly and set about changing things. In the process of improving their own lot, they managed to improve the lot of the villagers and put Steeple Fritton well and truly on the map. Both Lola and Posy are very likeable characters - women you would want to be friends with - and Ellis and Flynn are, well, phwoar!
With a carnival, an old-fashioned fair and the Orient Express all thrown in for good measure, this really is one steamy romance in the nicest possible way. And it's made me quite nostalgic for Adam Ant. Read it and bask in the eccentric warmth of Steeple Fritton and its delightful characters.