4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh
Published 4 months ago by Tez Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Problematic Protagonist
I'm a huge Seanan McGuire fan. This was the first of her novels that I really didn't like.

Published 7 months ago by Diana Fleming

2.0 out of 5 stars Problematic Protagonist, 25 Aug. 2014
Diana Fleming - See all my reviews
This review is from: Half-Off Ragnarok (Incryptid Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

The main character is Alex, the brother of the heroine from the first two novels, Verity. There's no nice way to say it, Alex is boring. Really, really boring. Huge amounts of what he says or thinks are info dumps, there's very little action, and interesting peripheral characters such as the mice are barely present. As usual, Seanan writes smoothly and the world is extremely well constructed. Plot is a supernatural whodunnit. Not bad, not good. The novel very much hinges on how interesting the main charater is and Alex is stupefyingly dull.

Very disappointing, I expected a lot more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, 15 Nov. 2014
Someone should explain to me this series' book titles, because I don't get them: DISCOUNT ARMAGEDDON, MIDNIGHT BLUE-LIGHT SPECIAL, and now HALF-OFF RAGNAROK...which doesn't mention Ragnarok at all. (Where are the Norse when you need them?) So if these titles are some pop culture reference, they've gone completely over my head. Before I started the series, I figured it was about a family-owned mega-mart, whose employees hunt cryptids on the side. Boy, was I wrong! ;-)

Weird titles aside, this is one of my favourite urban fantasy series, and currently the only one with which I'm up to date. (Book 4, POCKET APOCALYPSE, is due out in March 2015.) A switch of narrator can be a risk, but it was a wise move in this case - keeping the series fresh. Verity Price is too much of an extrovert for me to connect with, but her big brother, Alex, is much more relatable. And there's bonus!Australian Shelby Turner, who is written very much accurately, which is a credit to her American author, Seanan McGuire. And rumour has it that Book 4 is set in Australia. The author has travelled here and lived to tell the tale, but will her characters? Stay tuned...

Oh, and I adored Crow. He must be a pain in the arse for Alex, having to take him to work sometimes, but he's an adorable little beast. Anyone got fan art?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in this series so far, 13 Oct. 2014
This read better than the other books in the Incryptid series, partly because the background didn't really need to be established as in the earlier books, but also because there was no attempt to introduce quite so many cryptids (or monsters!) and we learnt much more about the ones who did feature - they did develop as characters. I loved Alex's grandparents! It was good to see Sarah's story continued from a different slant.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the first two, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Half-Off Ragnarok (Incryptid Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Well, I enjoyed the first two, so despite some lukewarm reviews I bought this one anyway, and I'm really glad I did. The characters are strong, well-written, work well together, there are some splendid new creatures, and to compensate for a shortage of Aislin Mice we meet Crow, who is magnificent. Waiting for the next one with reduced patience now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun interesting series/world, 16 Mar. 2014
Kudos to the author for coming up with this fresh / interesting world. The Price family are fun, take charge, gun-ho and thankfully completely unique. My favourite so far has been book 2 in the series.
This is book 3 in the series and focuses upon Alex (Verity's - from first two books - brother). Alex himself is a little bland and for some reason I found his love interest with Shelby a little flat. All the people/characters in the book are captivating - and in saying that I think the author should have focused more upon those characters; Sarah and Chandi in particular - rather than the animals/cryptids, who just didn't have enough personality to carry the story in some places. (Well except for the mice - but they made few and far appearances - big pity there).
Love this world but thought the author should have either amped up Alex or the story in places in order for me to give five stars. Still I'm looking forward to book 4 and can't wait for little sister Antimony's story - she sounds a riot, lets just hope she gets a book worthy of her reputation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug. 2014
Brilliant and very funny

Half-Off Ragnarok (Incryptid Book 3)