Trouble in Tinsel Town written by Aimee Duffy is the first short read in a series of seven which I have to say I enjoyed from page one and now I am looking forward to the next read in this excellent series.
As we meet Ciara Bree arriving in Hollywood accompanied by her two pals from University you soon realise that though these girls are best friends they have had totally different backgrounds but yet their strong friendship still remains. Ciara is a lovely character who wears her heart on her sleeve and for her the friendship the three girls have is strong but she knows her own background being brought up by her father is as different from Gem and especially Elle's upper class background. The girls have now graduated and decide to go on a holiday together to celebrate staying a short time in Elle's many houses around the globe. We first meet them in Tinsel town and they really hit it with a bang making some friendships along the way.
This for me was an entertaining read which I completed in twenty minutes but for me it was a nice way to be introduced to the girls - therefore now I am patiently waiting for the next chapters in this very interesting and even more entertaining series.

The full series is as follows :
1. Trouble in Tinseltown (Summer Flings, Book 1)
2. Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings, Book 2)
3. Point Us to Paris (Summer Flings, Book 3)
4. Geeks Go Greek (Summer Flings, Book 4)
5. Ibiza Insanity (Summer Flings, Book 5)
6. Flirting in Florence (Summer Flings, Book 6)
7. Deliver to Dublin...With Care (Summer Flings, Book 7)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2014
Trouble in Tinseltown is the perfect, girly summer read. As Ciara, Elle and Gem set off on their world trip, this book is filled with laughs, partying, drama, star-spotting and of course, the holiday hunk. And it’s a whole lot of fun. Aimee’s kicked off this short story series in great style and I can’t wait to read more from the girls.

Individually, we’re yet to learn much about these three friends but combined, they’re very entertaining. Ciara is very different to Elle and Gem – she’s not used to their expensive lifestyle and letting herself go like they do. She’s much more reserved and so they believe a holiday fling would do her a lot of good. I loved their friendship – the way they communicated was full of humour and they bring the kind of mad, fun-filled parties you’d want to be a part of. Though where you’d stay the night would be a whole different matter…

As for the holiday hunk, I’m intrigued. Or at least I’m intrigued after I’ve finished swooning. Elle’s cousin, Zack, livened things up just a little for Ciara and I’m interested to see how he’ll be involved when the girls hit Miami in the next short story. I trust in Aimee not to let us lose our fix of the gorgeous summer fling just yet!

Trouble in Tinseltown is exactly what I’m looking for in a quick summer read and this whole series is one I’m sure I’m going to love. This was a great start to the series with a whole lot of entertainment and leaving us with plenty more to learn about Ciara and her best friends. If you like your holiday reading to be fun, a little crazy and maybe laced with just a few z-list celebrities, you can’t go wrong with Aimee Duffy’s first Summer Flings instalment.

*Book gifted for honest review
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book took me less than half an hour to read and yet was so action packed and fun. Only a talented author could achieve that and despite this being my first read from Aimée Duffy it's clear that she has that talent. There is no shortage of chick lit authors yet Aimée definitely has her own distinctive writing style and I loved it. There's a few authors doing these short releases set in glamorous places around the world but if I'm honest this is the one I was most excited for (which explains my frustration at being declined then approved on Netgalley)! I love the covers and the blurbs and couldn't wait to get stuck in.

With short stories it's almost impossible to discuss the plot but basically Ciara and her two best friends Gem and Elle are travelling around the world - first stop LA. For someone not going on holiday this year these books are ideal. Aimée captured the setting perfectly and I was transported to LA for a short time. Arriving at their accommodation Elle is furious to see her cousin Zach is there as well. Ciara however is far from furious when she claps eyes on him... Off to a party at Nobu the girls soon find themselves in a pretty outrageous and hilarious situation.

With short stories certain aspects do have to be rushed but could chemistry be created between two characters in just a few pages? The answer to that is definitely. The flirting between Ciara and Zach is light hearted and believable at first and then the heat is knocked up a level... And then as with all the best short stories the book is over leaving you desperate for more. Luckily we don't have to wait too long to meet up with the girls again, this time in Miami and I can't wait. I will also have to check out more from Aimée Duffy, if she can write such a fantastic story in a short amount of pages I'd love to read a full book from her.
on 19 August 2014
I love the idea of a serialised story and Aimee Duffy has certainly delivered with these perfect little bite sized novellas. If I smile all the way through reading a book, the author has done their job as far as I'm concerned and this sure is smile-inducing. Great dialogue, that is fun and keeps the story moving quickly along.
If you are a busy working mother like me, its not always easy to find the time to read, but Trouble in Tinseltown, gave me the perfect excuse to steal some 'me' time with a glass of wine.

I take my hat off to Aimee Duffy, because already this first installment has me hooked and I will happily one-click for the continued fun & games with the friends in Miami!

Ciara, Elle and Gem are a fun trio, however,I'm hoping that we get to find out more about each of their characters as we follow their adventures around the globe. I've warmed more to Ciara than Elle and Gem so far, who both seem a bit stereotypical trust fund shallow, but as the author delves a bit deeper into each of their personas, I have a feeling that my early assessment of them will be found unjust.

I hope that we've not seen the last of Zack, the obligatory hot male hero, who has already captured Ciara's heart and eye!

Recommended for those times you just want to read something quickly, for fun and smiles.
on 18 August 2014
When I first spotted this title in Netgalley, I couldn't resist the gorgeous cover and I loved the idea of a serialed novel for a girls trip around the world. On this first book of the series we meet the girls: the hard-worker Ciara, a total geek who had never had an interest for boys or make up until she met the other two girls in Oxford, Elle and Gem, both from rich families, intelligent and pretty, they love partying and having fun.

Their first stop is LA and these girls have taken the concept of backpacking to a new level: grandpa's mansion overlooking the city. Two days to enjoy the best of Hollywood: shopping, celebrities, movie premieres, parties... And Elle's gorgeous cousin for Ciara to enjoy. How much action can you fit in two days and a hundred pages? It turns out that a lot. Well written, flirty and naughty, with witty dialogues and a lot of fun, I really enjoyed Aimee's style and I'm sure this series is going to be a great summer read. I can't wait to read the second book, in Miami this time, and find out how the adventure is going with these girls and see if a certain cousin makes an appearance again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ciara is a regular Irish girl who has been taken under the wings of two very bold, rich English girls. Ellen and Gem are full of mischief and they're great at getting into trouble. The three friends went to university together and they want to have a summer of fun after graduation. Their first stop is LA where they start their holiday in a luxurious home. Only they aren't there by themselves, Ellen's gorgeous cousin Zack is keeping an eye on them. Their first highlight of the summer is a real Hollywood red carpet event. Will Ellen and Gem be able to behave?

Ciara is the more serious of the three friends. Ellen and Gem are nerdy chic and she's only a nerd, a pretty one though. She's proud and down to earth. Her friends can buy anything they like and nothing has consequences. Ciara loves them, but she also wants to be herself and I liked that about her. Trouble in Tinseltown is fun. The red carpet event made me laugh really hard. This short novella is the perfect beach read. It's a feel good story that managed to cheer me up. It's the first one of a series of seven and I can't wait to read the next one.
on 18 August 2014
Oh there's such a feel-good factor about book one of the Summer Flings Series. It made me feel like I was jetting off on my summer holidays and having a damn good time.

Trouble in Tinseltown introduces graduate Ciara and her friends Elle and Gem. Having worked hard on their education, it's now time to play hard. Although Ciara isn't used to her friends extravagant lifestyles she soon gets into the swing of having fun when their first stop around the globe takes them to the glitz of LA. Elle is furious when her cousin Zack becomes an unexpected guest, though he soon has to come to the girls rescue when party time leads them into trouble.

I love the relationship between the three friends and with Zack bringing the spark to this fun story, I can't wait to to move my smile straight on to the next instalment.
on 11 February 2015
Review originally posted on my blog

Trouble in Tinseltown is part 1 of Aimee Duffy’s Summer Flings novella series. After graduating from Oxford, three best girlfriends Ciara, Elle and Gem, have decided to take a two month around the world vacation before settling down and facing the realities of the real working world. The first stop on their trip is sunny Los Angeles. They are there to lounge around poolside, go shopping on Rodeo Drive and hopefully brush arms with a few movie stars. When Elle’s cousin Zack shows up at their grandpa’s Hollywood home, Ciara is in for a pleasant surprise. Perhaps Zack will be the perfect guy to have a fun, time-sensitive, summer fling with.

Ciara has some relationship issues though and thinks she’s not a stayer, like the mother that left her and her father when she was young. Her biggest fear is turning into her mother, but it doesn’t stop her from pushing away great guys because she fears that she’ll get bored and end up hurting them. Another one of her problems is that she doesn’t come from a wealthy family and thanks to their respective families, her two best friends have more money than they know what to do with. It’s difficult for Ciara to have best friends that never have to pay their bills because their parents fund their limitless credit cards. She doesn’t ever want to take advantage or take anyone’s charity and her friends understand and respect her wishes.

I have one main complaint about this series. This was the first novella in the series and had chapters 1 to 3. The next novella in the series has chapters 4 to 7. If the author planned on having the ‘novellas’ published as a few chapters at a time, it would’ve made more sense to publish it as one novel, not as a series of ‘novellas’. The story is a fun, light read with interesting characters that leave you wanting more and I enjoyed reading it, but I don’t like that it’s not just one novel, or a collection of novellas where each one starts with a chapter 1. I would recommend the series, but I’m disappointed that it wasn’t just sold as one book.
on 14 September 2014
Trouble in Tinseltown is the first in the Summer Flings series by Aimee Duffy. This is the first I have read by her and I enjoy her writing style.

This is a very short novella at around 40 pages and made this a perfect read for me travelling. I enjoy novellas that allow me to immerse myself in and I fell like the story has been concluded during a short period. Lately I have become quite busy and it is hard for me to find the time to read a book cover to cover. Novellas I find allow me to do this.

This story is about three girls who are off to travel the world and enjoy life while they are young. Elle has a rich grandfather who has many properties around the world and has allowed Elle and her friends to stay. Ciara is the more down to earth girl and comes from a different background to Gem and Elle.

I would say being so short we really get thrown into the action of the story, which I loved. The downside of this though I felt I didn't know the characters that well, however as the story developed I felt I got a better 'feel' for who the girls are.

This little novella packs a lot in. We have relationships, friendships, brushes with the law,and drama.

As the novella is so short I don't want to say too much about it, other than this is one to have on you for that commute or on holiday. I cannot wait to read the next instalment and follow the girls around the world. (Wishing I was with them!)

I would like to thank Aimee for sending me this in exchange for an honest review
on 25 August 2014
Firstly thank you to Harper Impulse for approving me for this title on NetGalley! It was recommended to me by book blogger Shaun (@bookaddictshaun on Twitter) after I posted my review of another similar read.

This is the first short stories in a romantic comedy series of shorts – Summer Flings by Aimee Duffy. The short stories follow main character Ciara Bree and her two friends as they take off travelling during their summer after graduating from Oxford.

We first meet the girls in LA where Ciara’s jaw has just dropped at the thought of staying for a few nights in one of Elle’s grandfather’s houses. The stunning LA location kicks off this summer series with a blast and give you a little insight into the luxury that Ciara should be expecting for the rest of her trip!

Ciara is on this trip of a lifetime with her two best friends from college Elle and Gem. Elle and Gem seem like high maintenance, spoiled little rich girls but actually they’re both very clever and down to earth, although not as quite as down to earth as Ciara. I like the balance that they bring to the group and think we are in for a really fun, bubbly summer tour with these girls.

Just when you think it’s going to be an all-girls holiday you’re treated to Elle’s lovely cousin Zack! Book boyfriend alert! I love Zack’s genuine concern for the girls and love his flirtatious manner with Ciara. I’m looking forward to seeing how that develops throughout the story.

The title suggests trouble for the girls and they do manage to get themselves into a few tight spots which are funny to read about and definitely set you up for the rest of the series!

The next in the series is Misbehaving in Miami!