4.0 out of 5 stars Good read with interesting forensic details
This is the third in the series about the medical investigator Dr Kay Scarpetta. If you've read or even just heard of Patricia Cornwall's work you'll know what to expect: serial killer on the loose, the investigator on the trail against all odds. It's an extremely good read without being deep. It's better than the second in the series (which seemed rather formulaic).
Published on 9 Nov. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars My first Scarpetta!
Published on 21 Jan. 2001 by sjphipps@cableinet.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read with interesting forensic details, 9 Nov. 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 17 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
I have read all of Patricia Cornwell's novels so far and followed the life of Dr Kay Scarpetta avidly, this is probably one of her best. The main characters are given more depth and we learn a lot about mysterious Pete Marino and it materialises that he is in fact human and has feelings and these are brought to the surface in this book, as my favourite charcater of the Scarpetta series, this was the highlight for me. Overall, a great plot, Scarpetta faces a series of murders with unusual findings at the scene of the crime, only later do we realise important inofrmation has been held back and the suspense created in finding out who, makes this a real page turner, there is also involvement with many different law enforcement groups and it is hard to know who to trust, she even begins to susect her own collegues and friends. There is never a dull minute, murder, gypsies, politicians, media, stalking, this novel is one to grab your attention through the informative and realistic writing and I guarantee ,once you have started reading this, everything else will go by the wayside just so you can find out what really happened.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first Scarpetta!, 21 Jan. 2001
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
This is the first Patricia Cornwell book I have read and I really enjoyed it. Once I got used to the classic American-style comments it proved a very good read. I did however expect a twist in the tale but this didn't come. Obviously not a Cornwell trademark. I recently read a Kathy Reichs novel - she is being hailed as the new and 'better' Patricia Cornwell but I didn't enjoy this at all. Hope you go on reading more in Cornwell's series of novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's missing in all that remains?, 14 May 2004
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
A female pathologist, dressed in white overalls and rubber boots and carrying a heavy bag, raises the tape and enters the crime scene. Who is she? Well, she is one of a species of investigators that has become enormously popular in recent years. Writer Patricia Cornwell has depicted her in a highly successful series, calling her Dr Kay Scarpetta. With training in forensic pathology herself, and a string of awards for her books, Miss Cornwell's achievements have elevated her to the top of the queue of authors waiting to be read by this reviewer.

I found much to admire, in this my first Patricia Cornwell book. Plotting and planning have been meticulously done. A disappointing ending - so often the ruination of a good crime novel - has been avoided. The narration is in clean, plain sentences. Cornwell has her forensic pathologist character, Dr Kay Scarpetta, lead the investigation into a series of killings, and her knowledge of the forensic pathology involved is highly impressive.

Reducing my admiration, however, are several deficiencies. I happen to like crime investigation novels that mix some charm, warmth, caprice or eccentricity into the investigative proceedings. Cornwell keeps all these additives locked away in her cupboard. Dr Kay Scarpetta's life is a distinctly feminist, answering machine, laboratory gowned and masked one, at least in this book. Am I looking in the wrong place if I expect wit, warmth, vibrant male-female interaction or spruce dialogue as I follow a forensic pathologist investigating serial killings? As if she were aware of the need for these "cozy" qualities, Patricia Cornwell introduced a niece for Dr Kay Scarpetta in her first book which I am now reading, allowing something like maternalism to soften the otherwise strong feminist atmosphere that pervades "All That Remains".

4.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell and Scarpetta still do it better!, 29 Jun. 2000
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
This was the firat Patricia Cornwell book that I read and I thought that it was tops! The tension bulids up as it is as if you are living the life of Dr Kay Scarpetta. She shares her inner most deepest thoughts and feelings which makes it more realistic and makes Patricia Cornwell one of the best authors aroun today. I will look foward to reading more Scarpetta mysteries in the future. I would seriously recomend this book to absoultly EVERYONE!

4.0 out of 5 stars All that Remains, 10 Dec. 2004
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
This is the third of the Dr Kay Scarpetta series and is, without doubt, the best of the first three. Cornwell seems to have got her characters down to a tee by this stage and they gel together very pleasingly and make for a compulsive read.
This novel is quite heavy in the political intrigue stakes and for the first time we really see Scarpetta having doubts over her friends and work colleagues and she has a real battle on her hands to remain loyal to those she knows she should trust and do a professional job at the same time. The one stable influence in the book is the terrific character of Pete Marino, and there are some very touching scenes as we see this tough practical cop show the first signs of his gentler, more sensitive side, as we learn of the breakdown of his marriage. The Scarpetta - Mario verbal fencing in this book is an absolute pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 10 July 2013
This review is from: All That Remains (Kindle Edition)
enjoyed it immensely a really unexpected ending. Have bought the next book already for my kindle. this is the 4th book by this author I have read

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Kay Tries to Find a Killer Before he Strikes Again, 7 Jan. 2008
Laurel Whitehead (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
Dr. Kay Scarpetta has eight decomposed bodies with no known cause of death, couples, lovers, victims of the Couple Killer. When a fresh pair turns up, it looks like the girl is the daughter of a govt. official. Kay's boss wants the crimes solved before anymore bodies turn up, so Kay tries to find the serial killer before he does it again.

There are times when this book gets a little weird, but it is intense, impossible to put down. I read it in one sitting, turning the pages as if they were scorching my fingers. However I did think the killer could have been fleshed out just a bit more, but that's probably just gruesome me, wanting to know every detail about why someone kills the way PC has her bad guys kill. Anyway this is surely a five star effort on PC's part. No one does this kind of stuff the way she does.

Review submitted by Captain Katie Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been more but suffered from a subpar story, 15 July 2008
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All That Remains (Paperback)
Since May this year I have been following the Kay Scarpetta series and have found them to be a bit of a dissapointment. However with this one I feel Patricia Cornwell takes a giant step forward with her characters making Kay Scarpetta one of my favorite fictional characters i've ever had the pleasure of reading. And the pace was much improved from the previous 2 books in the series. Unfortunately all this good work is lost a bit from due to the story line of this one. I just wasnt really captivated by the whole idea of it which I wont go in to incase someone reads this who is yet to read the book. However when I get around to reading the next in the series 'Cruel and Unusual' I'm hoping Cornwell can bring forward both a great story line and maintain the great witty edge that Scarpetta has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 July 2013
If you have read the first 2 scarpetta books - this is a must.

My boys bought me the first 2 books and I would love to read the rest - a brilliant book from start to finish - keeps you wanting to read the next page