Format: Audio DownloadChange
Price:£10.67

on 4 October 2014
Colleen Hoover is the master of tears.

She knows it. She rocks it. I would walk a million miles for one of Miles' smiles.

One criticism I hate the UK cover. The US one is so much better. So my review - brain = liquid. Heart = butter.

Miles, heartbroken, damaged, beautiful, fascinating, sexy, not had sex in 6 years. Those all just became my new favourite words, too. Believe and me and when and I and tell and you and I'm and ready. How could Tate not fall for him?

Don't ask about the past. Don't expect a future. Guess what, I 'm a reader and I neeeeeeeed to know. Like I need my next breath.

She sucks you in. Gets you so invested in the story that you will beg on your knees for more; even though you know it will be ugly.

I can't compare this to Hopeless because it would be like saying I love one child more than another. I love both equally.

I read UL in paperback and had to put paper in my favourite parts (I do not do book abuse).

Cap is a genius! Love isn't always pretty Tate. Sometimes you spend all your time hoping it'll eventually be something different. Something better. Then, before you know it, you're back to square one, and you lost your heart somewhere along the way.

Anyway, I put lots of bits of paper to mark my favourite bits but there are too many to mention.

I loved this book. I want to give Colleen a big smushy hug. She gave me Holder, she gave me Ridge, she gave me Miles. Loved it. Je suis en France maintenant, et danque il faux que je dis j'aime Colleen. Vraiment. Absolument, plus fort!
on 2 February 2015
Originally posted @ [...]

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not wholly compatible with Colleen Hoover’s writing style. And I feel ok admitting that.

There are some stylistic things that I always pick up on. For instance, there seems to be a tendency to repeat words within the same actions/sentences and it always sticks out to me. It jars me out of the story and ruins the mood.

That said, I always enjoy the story itself, whichever title that may be. She has a brilliant way of building tension and hitting the reader with conflict and action. I admire that very much.

So, Ugly Love, what worked for me?

Miles – I like his character. Yeah, sometimes he’s a bit of a prat, and I think he should seriously count his chickens (is that the right phrase?) that Tate is with him, but I like him. A lot.

Cap – Old Cap. I love him. I want a book about the story he tells Tate. I would swoon for Cap. Heh heh.

General story – It had real pace and I was easily sucked in. I couldn’t not keep reading.

What didn’t work for me?

Tate – Needs a backbone. I think because she is so aware of the situation, it makes it harder for me to dismiss her acceptance of it. She willingly goes along with the crock of bulls*** she’s being fed from Miles. I think he should have been made to work for it more. I didn’t have the same issues that I’ve seen others have, I mean, she does know what she’s letting herself in for. I think my problem was that surely, surely, a girl like her would come to her senses quicker.

We’re going flying, babe – The pilot thing just wasn’t working for me. To be fair, it wasn’t really a thing for me until the end. The end was cringy for me. I dunno. It just felt like it was creeping into Mills and Boon territory.

Tate – Again. LOL! I wanted her to really take charge of him. He did a great job on her (oh how hard this is to describe this without getting x-rated) but I wanted her to take care of him… Take control… Just… Yeah. If you’ve read this book, you know what I mean, right? :s

__

There were some really lovely scenes in this book. Some parts were so cute! And others were freakin’ hawt! But there were also some aspects that just weren’t working for me. It was a good read. Easy to get into, easy to keep on with. Can’t complain too much really. Fans of Hoover will love it. For sure.

An easy 3 out of 5.
"The second she opened her eyes and looked at me, I knew. She was either going to be the death of me. . . . or she was going to be the one who finally brought me back to life."

I have read all but one of Colleen Hoover’s books (Maybe Someday is next on the list) and I have yet to be disappointed. Ugly Love for me was “Classic Colleen”. It highlights a heartbreaking tragedy and you live it along with the characters. I can’t recommend this book enough and for all diehard Colleen fans you are going to love it undoubtedly.

Tate is starting a fresh by moving in with her brother. Her first hurdle upon her arrival is the drunken guy passed out at her new door. Luckily, he isn’t a creepy stranger but in fact Tate’s brother, Corbin’s best friend called Miles. From the outset, we know Miles has a deep-rooted secret that affects him so badly, Tate knows better than to get involved but the undeniable attraction between them makes ignoring Miles all that much harder.

"He leads. I let him. Because he's a solid and I'm a liquid, and right now, I'm just his wake."

The story was told in the form of past and present. Tate’s point of view told the present day, her new life and job, living with Corbin and of course, the obsession she was growing with Miles. The past was told in Miles’ point of view and that covered only his time six years ago and what happened to him. I must say it was hard at first to read Miles’ past, I’m a stickler for third party involvement and it was hard to read about Miles and his relationship with someone else whilst simultaneously reading about his budding relationship with Tate in the present. Without a doubt, I had trust in Colleen Hoover and I knew there was a reason behind it. We had to live through Miles’ past in order to understand why he couldn’t offer Tate any more than a ‘friends with benefits’ relationship.

"He wants me for sex. I kind of miss sex. It's been a while. I know I'm definitely attracted to him and can't think of anyone else in my life I'd rather have casual, meaningless sex with than my airline pilot, laundry-folding neighbour."

Miles’ chapters were shorter and they always ended on a mini cliffhanger so I will hold my hands up and admit I may have started reading a few of the even numbered chapters first, then would skip back and catch up on Tate’s. This did earn me many red angry face emoji’s from my friend whilst I was reading (sorry Kat) but I couldn’t help it, the suspense was killing me and I had to know what happened that wrecked Miles’ life completely. It’s a Colleen Hoover book so of course the big event was a doozy and there wasn’t a dry eye to be seen. Colleen creates magic with her words and I felt every single emotion whilst reading this book. I had to pause through the tears and remind myself Tate and Miles are in fact, not real, but when you’re sucked into this world it’s easier said than done.

I liked both Miles and Tate as characters. You could say Tate was a fool for agreeing to her arrangement with Miles, as it was clear from the outside it would never just stay as sex with no feelings but Tate was well aware of this and didn't have the power to keep her heart from falling.

"As much as I know I'm too far gone to continue treating this as casual sex, I'm also too far gone to stop it. I'm terrified to lose him for good, so I sell myself short and take what I can from him, even though I know I deserve better."

Miles spent more and more time with Tate, yes, he was perhaps leading her on but he couldn’t not be with her, it was his own crippling guilt that wouldn’t allow him to admit he felt something more for her.

"I know I'll regret saying this, but I want you to hear it" He pulls back just enough for his lips to meet my hair, then grips me tightly again. "If I were capable of loving someone. . . it would be you."

"Whoever coined the phrase, I love you to death obviously never experienced the kind of love Tate and I share.
If that where the case, the phrase would be I love you to life.
Because that's exactly what Tate did.
She loved me back to life."

I adored Ugly Love, only Colleen Hoover can take a ‘friends with benefits’ storyline and escalate it to the next level. There was so much emotion and depth to this story that I loved every minute. I even locked myself in a hut at a family barbecue to finish it, I was that engrossed!

"It's the beautiful moments like these that make up for the ugly love."

Colleen Hoover’s writing goes above and beyond the norm. Even the layout and use of space added to the story, something I would have never even considered. To me that is a sign of genius and I am a complete Colleen Hoover fan girl for life. I can literally not wait to read our next offering.

If you have never picked up a Colleen Hoover book, (have you been living on the moon?) then Ugly Love is a great place to start and if you are a diehard fan, this beautiful, heartbreaking story will cement your love for one of the best writers out there. ~Ava

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
on 28 December 2015
This was a beautifully written poignant, heart-wrenching love story that really tugged at my heart strings.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that this is my first Colleen Hoover read. I've heard so much about this author's books and she's been on my TBR list since forever. When I spotted this book on sale on Amazon a few days ago I grabbed a copy and I'm so glad I did. Now I understand the hype, and I totally get it.

I ADORED the writing. Gosh, I was highlighting so much I just gave up in the end. May as well just highlight the entire book. Lol.

The best part of this book was the skillful way the author elicited emotion from the reader. I felt EVERYTHING alongside Miles and Tate. All the pain and the heartache and the hurt. I cried and I laughed and I cringed.

Miles was in so much pain that it was difficult to read at times. I knew his treatment of Tate came from the issues in his past, but he was really horrible to her at times, and it was challenging not to scream at Tate to walk away, because he trampled all over her. However, she was tenacious and determined to cling onto her hope that he would come through and realize what they had.

I liked the way this book was written in dual perspective, switching from present to past. It didn't take much to figure out what had happened six years ago so I can't say it was a major shocker, but it was very emotional all the same. I enjoyed getting Mile's current perspective at the end.

I loved how protective Corbin was of Tate though it was a little OTT at times. My favorite secondary character, without a shadow of a doubt, was Cap. He was awesome and so full of wisdom. He always knew the right thing to say, the right way to act.

I had a few minor issues with this book, but not enough to merit a mention or a reduced rating.

All in all, this was a really great read and I look forward to checking out more of this authors work.

This review will be posted to my blog in due course: My YA NA Book Obsession

Some favorite quotes:

"That's how it is when a person develops an attraction toward someone. He's nowhere, then suddenly he's everywhere, whether you want him to be or not."

"His lips against mine feel like everything. Like living and dying and being reborn.."

"I'm not Tate when I'm near Miles. I'm liquid, and liquid doesn't know how to be firm or stand up for itself. Liquid flows. That's all I want to do with Miles. Flow."

"I don't know if I can do this, Miles. I don't know if I can follow rule number two, because I suddenly want to climb into your future more than I want to climb into the backseat."
on 12 June 2015
I was curious enough to download this book after watching the teaser trailer starring Nick Bateman as Miles Archer. It left me SO conflicted. Part of me wanted to love it and another part of me wanted to tear it to shreds. I finished it yesterday and I'm still torn over how I feel about it. If I read it with my heart I think I'd love it, but I couldn't leave my head at the door and that pulled me in a different direction.

I'd never read any of Hoover's books before, so the writing style was a complete surprise to me. I'm going to put my hand up to the fact that I'd assumed she was like dozens of other writers in this field, but I was pleasantly surprised. Her writing is both lyrical and conceptual and I really loved that about it. I loved the way she plays with ideas of liquid and solid and describes the irresistible draw between two people who are that attracted to each other. It seduced my brain in ways it hasn't been since I last read something by Tiffany Reisz.

I loved Tate as a lead character. Despite her helplessness in the face of her feelings, she's strong and vibrant and sassy in a lot of ways. She's no vapid doormat. She knows her mind and she's okay with who she is, despite her moments of vulnerability. I liked that she could see Miles' behaviour as unfair and she even mentions red flags a couple of times in the book and that gives her extra credit as far as I'm concerned. I was emotionally engaged with her and rooting for her. Her internal turmoil is both painful and realistic and absorbing. I liked that she didn't judge anyone (except Dillon, who totally deserved it) and her friendship with Cap is one of the best threads throughout the story.

The cast of supporting characters are also really good. Dillon is superbly and shamelessly creepy. Corbin is a typical big brother and his character rings as truly authentic. I know this because my brother was exactly the same and I didn't date for 9 years. 9 YEARS. Thanks Stuart. Really. Thanks. *facepalm*. That blend of unfair dictation and love is realistic and it was great. Cap is also brilliant - I love his lame jokes and the wisdom he imparts. I'm still laughing over the interrupting cow joke.

This is erotica and while the sex scenes are really well written, they're not so hot and steamy that you get flustered reading them. In a weird way, that's one of the strengths of this book. Because they're not so captivating, they're not the whole focus of the plot. The emotion is. It's a fine line to walk and I think Hoover captures that balance brilliantly.

I think what caused the conflict for me was Miles Archer, the main male character. The way he was written, I really wanted to like him. He's obviously damaged and Hoover didn't go anywhere near that hideous trope of abuse being disguised as love. She wrote him really well. He doesn't claim it's love, he doesn't hide what he is and he makes no excuses for it. He's up front and honest about what he feels he's capable of giving and even when he acts in an unpleasant way, they both knew it was coming. That's where the emotional turmoil is so great - Tate can't help feeling let down but she knows it's because she set herself up for it by wanting what he promised he couldn't give. The problem I have with him is that I didn't buy his reason for being the way that he is. I get that his back story was traumatic but I just didn't feel like it translated into his current mindset.

If I can't buy his damaged back story, then it means that he's just acting like a dick in the present.

And that's where I'm conflicted. Because I really wanted to like him. I felt for him. I wanted him to change, to open his heart, to let it go. I felt sad for him because of his past and the story in the present is so well written that I wanted to give it my whole hearted approval. There was just something missing for me.

I'll maybe feel differently in a few days, I don't know. On the plus side, I'll go and see the film and I'm definitely going to download other books by this author because I have a feeling she could be a new favourite.

Would I recommend it to other readers? Yes, I would. Especially if you read erotica anyway. It's a fresh look at a genre that sorely needs it.
on 30 March 2015
I have been meaning to read this book for... forever. I've seen people rave about it both online and in person. They have laughed, cried, and pimped it out like crazy. It wasn't until a friend gave me a copy of the book when she realised she had 2 copies, that I dove in. It took me a matter of about five hours to read the book in it's entirety.

Tate - I loved her. She was no nonsense and cared for people. Maybe she cared too much, but that's the way she is. I adored the interaction she has with Cap. Their unlikely friendship was the humour needed to lighten the heartache and angst of the rest of the story, and it never once felt fake or forced. Hoover writes very natural dialogue which shows especially between these two.

Miles - I have to admit, for the first half of the books, I hated to love him. Yes, he was gorgeous and stuff, but let's be real. He was an ass to Tate. Yes, he never lied to her and was always honest about how he felt about their relationship from the moment it began, but I still wanted to punch him now and then. The flashbacks are heartbreaking, simply because you as the reader knows something bad is going to happen. It has to be something bad to make Miles the way he is - and these are the main reason I kept reading, I needed to know what was happening in his head and whether Tate would help him through his issues.

While the ending is a little predictable, the journey on which Hoover takes the reader to get there is wonderful, and to me that is important. Yes, we may well be able to guess how a book is going to end, but if we are still compelled to turn the page to see how the characters get there, surely that author has done their job well, right? (Oooh, I may put a post about this on my author blog)

I've only read one book by Hoover before this, and that was a novella. I love her easy style of writing, and can see how she has become so popular in what some see as a short space of time (three years isn't in the grand scheme of things, but she's also not an overnight success). It's easy to become addicted to her books, and if I'm not careful, I will splurge all the monies on them!
on 27 February 2015
What's most interesting about this book is that it's written in both the past and the present. The present is narrated by Tate, and so we see Miles from her perspective and are just as puzzled as she is by his abrasive attitude. It is only in the chapters from the past Miles's voice takes the lead and, gradually, we see the terrible events of his past that led him to become the person he did.

It's a wonderfully effective technique. Admittedly, I found the first few chapters from Miles's perspective jarring. There were written in an almost sporadic poetry style and I was far more interested in the present and in Tate's story. The relationship between her and Miles was so intense and fascinating that I wanted to focus on that.

But the more Miles's story unfolded, the more engrossed I became in his past. I wanted to know about what drove him to make the choices he did and spurred his determination to keep Tate at a distance.

Miles's story really did show the ugly side of love. Both in his all-consuming and co-dependent relationship with his past girlfriend and the tragedy that sent his life into a tailspin

Miles and Tate's relationship is about an undeniable chemistry. For something meant to be based purely on sex, there is an intoxicating and profound quality to their interactions. They don't just long for each other, but they truly transform when they're together into two people who can forget the world and become the new versions of themselves.

Not to mention that the heat between them set the pages alight. Colleen Hoover deserves an award for managing to be amazingly steamy, without being smutty. She showed fiercely passionate sex scenes, while at the same time slowly building a tender and romantic relationship between the characters. It was incredibly well done.

The only downside to this book was the ending. It felt a little too happy, after everything that happened. As though the author was desperate to create the best ending imaginable. For me, it had the opposite effect and made the characters I grew to love fall flat. I would've preferred something a little more open-ended and hopeful, rather than something which flat-out told me exactly where the characters ended up and put a little bow on it.

Aside from that, this an addictive and raw story of first love, true love, and loving yourself. It managed to be a sexy romance, while also dealing with hard and gritty issues. I laughed, I cried, and I felt a whirlwind of different emotions as I flicked from one page to the next. This was intoxicating and definitely didn't shy away from the uglier side of love.

Favourite quote “Some people grow wiser as they grow older. Unfortunately, most people just grow older."

For this and more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: www.littlebirdiebooks.uk
on 10 August 2014
Oh my. I don't think I've been on such an emotional rollercoaster while reading a book for a long while. This book had me up and down like a yoyo and frustrated the hell out of me too.

In Ugly Love we meet Tate and Miles and we are told their story through both their POV's. Tate's is set in the present and Miles' six years prior when his world collapsed around him and destroyed his ability to love. Until he meets Tate.

Tate moves in with her brother, Corbin who is a pilot and on the first night she moves in she comes across a very drunk Miles and from then on her life changes. They become **** buddies and Miles is adamant that's all they ever be, but you can tell he is fighting his feelings for Tate and just want to slap him and see she's his feelings for her too. She knows he loves her but doesn't know why he won't let himself fall in love with her.

When you're reading his POV from when he was just 18 you start to see a glimpse of what he won't tell her but it's not til the end that you really, really get it. He has been to hell and back at a young age and can't get hurt again.

I loved how this book was written and when I first picked it up I thought, oh right boy meets girl, boy is cagey with emotions, something goes wrong, they fall in love and all is well. But Ugly Love tells so much more than that. This is a story about love being ripped from someone at a young age making them terrified to ever love again and about someone being able to come in and let them see that they can feel love again and make them see that they deserve it. And Tate did that for Miles.

But I don't really think Miles would've got there without the help of Rachel. The girl he loved at eighteen and lost in the worst way possible. When he goes to see her it all clicks and he sees that he can move on and be with Tate the way he wants and needs to.

The ending to this book broke my heart. I cried through the entire last 10% of this book and I loved reading the ending. Seeing Miles saved and happy made my cry a thousand happy tears. He got the ending he so deserved and deep down had always wanted.

I loved reading his past in his POV. You got to see so much more of the pain you would have if it was all from Tate's POV. You really felt his pain and anguish over his past. I also loved how, when he went back to Tate, he didn't tell her it all at once. He told her one small part and promised to open up as they moved forward and they made it all feel all that more real. Rather than he telling her it all at once he told her what he could right then and as they moved forward he would tell her more until she knew everything.

The very end of this book was amazing. So sweet and I love that Cap (the elevator pilot at the apartment Tate lives in) is involved because at the end of the day he was there for them both and listened to both their sides of the stories. I think he helped them both find each other.
on 9 August 2014
I have been waiting for this book for what seems like FOREVER! I couldn't wait to get started on it, but I have to admit, this is the first Colleen Hoover book where I didn't 'feel' it. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, and I couldn't put it down, but when it was over there was no feeling of being blown away, no book hangover, nothing like I felt after reading her other books.

So what DID I like? Well, Miles of course. Miles, ah he broke my heart into tiny little pieces but also made me want to slap him for the way he was with Tate at times!

We get the story from Tate's point of view, but we also get glimpses of Miles' past, told in his point of view. Little by little we see the Miles that is sweet, patient, protective and loving, and you wonder what happened to make him the closed off man he is today. The man who doesn't want love and relationships.

The moment those reasons are revealed is also the moment I realised the significance of the book cover and it was just so devastating. I could see why Miles would never want to risk experiencing the ugly side of love again, but I also wanted him to take that risk, to open himself up.

I felt for Tate, she wanted more despite Miles warning her that he wasn't capable of love, and wasn't interested in anything but sex. He was so closed off emotionally with her, he gave her nothing, and he was cold and dismissive once he got what he wanted. I wanted Tate to break it off with him, to have some self respect and realise she deserved more than he was willing to give, but I also understood the pull towards Miles. The chemistry between them was powerful and she was incapable of saying 'No' to Miles. She hoped he would change but every time she thought she'd made a break through, and could see a tiny ray of light he would close back up and do something that would push her away and her heart was crushed time and time again.

Obviously I'm going to be in the minority here, I just have to say what I felt when I was reading this, and the truth is I did enjoy the story, I liked the characters, Colleen's writing was impeccable as usual but I can't get over the feeling that something was missing, and I can't put my finger on what that was. Maybe I need to read it again....
on 7 August 2014
Every time I come to write a review for a Colleen Hoover book it gets harder and harder to do because all I want to do is repeat words I’ve used in each previous review. Words like amazing, heartbreaking, her best book yet. So I feel like I’m just going around in a circle here because I felt exactly the same way again with Ugly Love.

Tate and Mile’s story isn’t a straightforward one. Tate is attracted to Miles. Miles is attracted to Tate. She wants him. He wants her. But unlike the way Tate wants Miles, he only wants her for one thing. Sex. Nothing else, nothing more. Ever. Miles is broken because of events in his past and he never wants to put himself in the position of that ever happening again. So this is his answer. Sex with no strings attached. But then Tate gets under his skin and things get complicated.

I really felt for Tate and I was desperately sorry for Miles. I know a lot of people have had a problem with Tate and her lack of self respect for agreeing to Miles’ sex only plan but wouldn’t YOU take up that offer if you were her? An unattached guy you like wants to have no strings sex with you. YES PLEASE!! It’s only when the story develops, along with Tate’s feelings for Miles, that it’s difficult to put yourself in her position and understand why she carries things on and lets him get away with the things he does or doesn’t do. It’s too late for Tate by then, she’s in too deep. I have no idea where to start with my love for Miles. His POV from 6 years previous was at times funny and then subsequently heartbreaking as his POV chapters progressed. When Miles was told some life changing news I couldn’t help but wonder how things were going to pan out for him given what I knew of Miles in the present day. Gah. I can feel tears forming now.

Ugly Love is on par with Hopeless and Losing Hope in terms of its darkness and underlying secret so you need to prepare to potentially ugly cry when your heart gets ripped out, but it’s OH. SO. WORTH. IT. When all is revealed I had such a heavy heart and it HURT. I knew I needed to prepare myself, I knew I should be ready for it. I wasn’t.

The moment I finished the last word on the last page I wanted to start the book again. That speaks for itself about how much I loved this book. I honestly could not put it down. Right now Ugly Love is my #1 of 2014 and I IMPLORE you to drop everything on 5th August. You’ll thank me