5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Small Computer
As a tiny computer, I can't argue with the price this piece of kit is for what it brings.

I use my Raspberry Pi as a XBMC media centre (renamed Kodi) via OpenELEC and also Raspbian.

Published 8 months ago by Ross D'Souza

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspect power supply
Power supply is 1.8A not 2.0A, and died after 9 days.

The rest of the parts are great though; just be prepared to spend another £10 on a replacement power supply.
Published 6 months ago by D. Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Small Computer, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Raspberry Pi B+ Desktop (700MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4x USB Port) (Personal Computers)

As a XBMC media centre, the unit functions well, using my NAS as a file source. There are slight waiting times, but that's not unexpected with the hardware. I would definitely suggest pairing a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC/XBMC with a NAS to play easily on the TV.

As a Raspbian computer, this is a modified/cut down version of debian linux. You'll need know a little bit more about linux and commandline to be able to handle this, but learning about these aspects may be why you might consider buying this. I found that it was a little sluggish - more noticable than with XBMC. However, as before, this was not unexpected with this hardware.

Ultimately, these units are brilliant as tiny computers. The limit of what it can do it is based on your skill with computing and your imagination.

One last thing to point out is that the unit pulls 5V and up to 1A or so under load. So if you had this on 24/7 under load. It would be using 5W, equating to 0.12kWh per day, equating to 43.8kWh per year. Assuming 15p (pretty high) per kWh, you'd pay £6.57 for the power you'd use if the Pi was UNDER LOAD constantly for the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars this picture heavy website is running quite happily on a B+ Raspberry Pi, 14 Sept. 2014
A remarkable bit of kit. I am running it as a webserver for my personal photos website. Check out jim-curtisDOTnet, this picture heavy website is running quite happily on a B+ Raspberry Pi.

Be aware that you will need the minimum of a power supply (a micro USB plugged phone charger will work) plus a Micro SD memory card before you can get it to work. It is possible to set it up via the SSH console using just these components which is what I did with mine.

If you want to run it connected to a display you will need an addition USB keyboard and mouse and an HDMI cable.

Installation was all made quite easy via internet searches. I didn't want the extra expense of a USB keyboard and mouse just to start it up, so I installed the Raspbian OS from the Rapsberry Pi website which has SSH enabled by default. I downloaded the software to the MicroSD card (costs extra - and get a big one. 4 Gb was too small for me so I got a 32 Gb one). I then plugged the card in to the Pi, applied power and let it boot.

I was able to set it up from scratch via SSH using PuTTy from my Win 7 PC.

While I have quite a lot of experience with the DOS command line, be aware that the Linux that runs on the Pi requires heavy use of the command line to configure it, install software and generally make any progress. Unlike Windows, you have to resort to the command line. If you run it "headless" like me, that is your only option.

However, it is a great learning experience. The satisfaction of getting my website up and running in 30 minutes from unboxing was great.

The frustration of messing it all up badly (my fault), starting with a fresh install (and a very late night) and getting it back up and running was a great learning experience.

The Raspberry Pi is sold as a learning tool. It is that, but it is also a capable computer that can be put to almost as many uses as there are owners. It is certainly fully capable as a personal web server which was my reason for buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant little bit of hardware, 29 Nov. 2014
This is truely a remarkable little bit of kit, this will be the first 'B+' version of the rPI i have owned, but i have 2 other 'B' versions around the house, 1 running as part of my media setup as my digital tv reciever/recorder and database server coupled with a DVB-T adaptor + Hardisk, The other at present is being used as test-bed for some software development I am doing, but was used up until recently as the music server for my multi-room sonos-like system servering four rooms with lossless audio simutaniously with no issues. This purchase is going to be used in a robotics project and will be coupled with an ardiuno board, the rPI will be the brains and the ardiuno will be the brawn as it were!

I have also used rPI's with great success around the business I work for as digital signage, they are very flexiable little machines that are more than capable of running a multitude of tasks, you just have to bear in mind that they are fairly low spec (by modern standards).

A word to the wise, I work in the IT industry and do a lot of my work in the specific operating system environment of Linux and UNIX and varying shades there of, and if you have only ever been exposed to the Microsoft or Apple GUI type environment and are just used to pretty animated graphics when you hover over something, or just pointing and clicking around a screen or menu to get whatever results you want then this device (and it's preceding siblings) is probably not for you, to do anything beyond web browsing, watching videos etc will required a certain amount of getting down and dirty with the operating system.

Having said that, this is what computing is really all about, getting the hardware to do what it's really good at and not just be a jack-of-all-trades, basically if you are willing to open your mind and want to learn then this really is for you, just don't go expecting it to perform like an intel i7 spec machine because by design it's not, it's a low cost piece of hardware that allows you to experiment and learn about how computers really work from the inside-out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi 1.0, 17 July 2014
Honey badger (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got the B+ to replace a Pi that runs 24/7. The change from linear to switching regulator means the board wastes less power, and can run significantly longer on backup battery power.

Other than that, the functionality is exactly the same, but this feels like a finished product.
The previous Raspberry Pi, let's call it the Beta had notoriously bad USB ports. USB is the canonical example of hot-pluggablity, yet doing so would cause the beta to reboot. Rest assured that you can hot-swap even the most powerful USB devices on the B+.

There isn't a photo of this at time of writing, but the board has a robust metal push/push microSD slot. The inserted microSD card overhangs a tiny bit; just enough to operate the push-to-eject mechanism.

With the flush USB connectors, microSD slot, and little details such as moving the network activity LEDs onto the Ethernet jack, these all add up to a significant improvement over the half-baked layout of the beta board.

The only downside I can think of is that a great many cases are not going to fit the new board. Either because they adhered too tightly to the old port layout, or because they held the board by its corners which are now rounded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works out of the Box. Can control Remotely :), 19 Jan. 2015
What can I say!!

I obtained the kit with the 8GB Micro SD card and case.

As the title of this review says, it works out of the box. I'm glad I spent the extra £10-£11 to get the case, the power adapter and SD card. The USB adaptor is around £3.51 on Ebay alone!

I wanted to go with the full kit as I am pretty lazy.

Anyway, I ripped it out of the packaging. Was eagerly waiting for a week as I had been away from home. My eyes lit up at how small the Pi is. I was yet to experience the sheer power of the little device. I then whacked it into the case. This process is a bit tricky, since there were no instructions but it fit snugly.

I then connected all the pheriphals like keyboard and mouse. I had hooked up a PS2 keyboard to the Pi via an USB adaptor. Old school I know. Make sure your Pi can power the keyboard!!

At first I started up the pi without the LAN (or the internet cable), then I realised that there were only 3 OS's so I shut it down as the listed OS was not on the list. I then hooked up the LAN Cable and powered it up again. More OS's popped Whoppeee!!!

I then installed my preferred OS which was Raspbmc which is the media centre (XMBC). Installation took 20 mins.

I could now watch movies with subtitles and connect to my network storage drive. It yielded in the family watching movies together. Awesomeness.

Oh I forgot to mention, how cool is it that you can control the Pi using your Phone! I could not believe my eyes. If you set up Raspbmc be sure to get the Yatze remote for android. Check if it's available for iPhone.

I'm tempted to get another Raspberyy Pi so I can fiddle around with it!

I would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board, Good set, OTT PSU, 5*., 2 Dec. 2014
Absolutely noting to complain at. everything in this kit is as you would expect and works perfectly.

I cannot comment on the NOOBS install as I wiped it off for Raspian before booting.

This is my 2nd R-Pi (my first was a model B Rev 1 so this was effectively a RAM upgrade as well as the extra USB ports). The B+ has a much nicer layout kepping all the connectors (except GPIO) along 1 short and 1 long edge make it tidier, especially in the bundled case.

Although the noise on the audio out still seem present. A cheap USB sound card give a significant improvement and sound over HDMI is of course limited by the sink not the source.

My main use is as an mpd and icecast server and have had no trouble playing high bitrate mp3s, ogg vorbis or flac. I have even had some success with mp3fs (transcodes flac to fixed rate mp3 on the fly).

The supplied PSU is a bit big (physically), much bigger than what I was using before, but it [claims to] gives plenty of current (1.8A@5V), I have found 500mA to be sufficient but maybe if you where using a "passport drive" or other high power peripheral the extra headroom is nice. It seems like a sensible choice to supply something with a lot of tolerance because people are going to take it to the limit, and complain when they get random unclean resets due to browning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be a server for your home, 27 Sept. 2014
M. Wilson (London) - See all my reviews
This is the most bonkers bit of kit I have bought in years. Mine is now a Minecraft server, media server and web server, all while being powered from the USB port on my router! I'm now considering buying another to play around with the IO ports.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best music player *ever*, 20 Dec. 2014
Mr. Mk Green "Mike Green" (Hurghada, Egypt) - See all my reviews
This is the best music player *ever*! I am finding music that I haven't played on my iPod for years. The sound quality is pretty good using the standard audio socket, but it you add a HiFiBerry card, it's even better. It's really easy to install Volumio, which is a (slightly flaky) wrapper for a brilliant music player daemon called mpd. If you make a couple of small changes to the /etc/mpd.conf file, you can then operate mpd directly using various clients that run on Windows (Auremo is very good), iPad (MPad) and Android.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very big improvement on it's predecessors! Very pleased!, 10 Jan. 2015
Such a big improvement on it's predecessor the B+ is really fantastic. They've fixed a whole bunch of things that were wrong with the last:

Firstly they mad this very much easier to mount in a case. They added 4 holes on the board and aligned all the sockets so you can now mount this in a case and it look in some way professional. They've moved some ports round so that now only two sides of the case need to have holes.

Secondly they've rationalized the IO provided. It now has 4 USB sockets instead of two. They've dropped the composit video out. One or two people with really old telly's might miss this, the rest of us just notice one less thing on the board that we were never going to use.

Finally (and this is the big one for me) they've upped the number of GPIO pins (the custom input / output pins). I originally bought one of these because I wanted to use it for a little bit of home robotics (that had some onboard CPU power that Arduino couldn't offer). But A/B versions however had too few GPIO to do anything I wanted to use it for. The B+ now has an additional 9 pins bringing the total to 26.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little computer, 29 Jan. 2015
Never used linux OS before. Instantly love it. Good build quality, very good hardware. Great bit of kit for a very low price. There's a reason it's a #1 Bestseller.

Would recommend checking the compatability of MicroSD cards before buying them, since some do not work with the Pi.
Also, the Wifi adapter under "Frequently bought together" should be avoided - its range is too small and its casing is too big. Get an ethernet cable instead.