4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to another HH series.....
Published 2 months ago by Jaz-zing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad and well written
Published 2 months ago by DebB

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad and well written, 17 Aug 2014
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This starts well with some nicely descriptive writing covering a stake out, with the derelict scene and tension well described, through to taking a cold shower and trying to get clothes on over damp skin. Our heroine is a determined human in a world that contains vampires, daemons, witches and faeries - oh and her grandfather - not sure what he is, but he’s something.

There are some nice touches - like when she’s escaped a bloodbath and is sitting on a train, freaked that people are staring, only to realise that her skirt is caught up in her knickers - every woman’s dread - and I liked that Rogu3 - her Mr Fix-it - turned out to be what he was. A neat trick, and, when you think about, totally logical.

There are the usual never-tell-anyone-a thing, and rush-in-without-a-plan annoyances of these types of book, and the romantic direction of subsequent books is blindingly obvious, but all minor annoyances. The baddie was well hidden, and the scene is well set for sequels, but I really hated the ending - I even read it twice to see if it felt better second time around, and it doesn’t. Will I read the next one when it comes out? Hmmm, right now, I’m really not sure…

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to another HH series....., 28 July 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was worried about how HH would be able to top her Bloodfire series which was gripping from start to finish. The trouble with series is that although Bloodfire finished pretty much tying up the loose ends, I always find it difficult when the author starts something new as I get attached to the previous characters. Therefore, there was a little apprehension with this book. All unfounded! This was a great book and start to a new series; some of the elements are the same with regards to the world and its inhabitants, however, the characters - NOT the same - have great chemistry and there is believability in the relationships. The story was also not contrived and the plot explained without being long winded - I hate it when a whole page is dedicated to how handsome/funny/brooding characters are, or about how dark/ominous a room is; quick without being rushed.
Well written, and like the mark of all good series, leaves us wanting more. Please let the sequel come quickly :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars New series off to a good start, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read, and thoroughly enjoyed, Helen Harper's previous series of books so I was very pleased to discover that she had a new book out. I read this book practically in one sitting and am now eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

The book does have a lot of elements typically found in other books of this genre, but then you tend to expect that after you've read a few. I found that the lead character was engaging and that the pace of the novel kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next (feeling a little sleep deprived this morning).

If you are a fan of this genre then give this book a try and, if you haven't already, check out the Bloody Destiny series. I would say that along with Karen Chance, Kim Harrison, Darynda Jones and Debra Dunbar, Helen Harper has become one of my 'go to' authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omg awesome!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
LOVED loved this book. Brilliant start to a new series, can be read as a stand alone but why would you??? Characters are brilliant and very well written love Bo she is a fantastic character. Oh Helen you never disappoint. Highly recommended this new world of vampires and daemons BRILLIANT just leaves you with one question....... when is the next book out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I found Helen Harper through the kindle store and loved her Blood Destiny Series, 21 July 2014
S. Spilsbury (United Kingdon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I found Helen Harper through the kindle store and loved her Blood Destiny Series. I follow her on FB and was delighted when she published Dire Straights. I love the characters Helen builds - especially her hero's. This book has a great story line and the "baddie" was unexpected. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Another really well written book by Helen Harper. Bo is a very likeable character, and the story develops naturally and fully without the need for more than a hint of a romance to come, between her and the Head of the vampire house she is with.

I can't give much of the story away without spoilers, so I'd just say, read the synopsis and take my word for it that you won't regret reading what is, I believe, the first of a new series.

If you're a fan of Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires novels, you may sense some similarities here ... but we're not talking copycat.

Worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just discovered this great British author, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Just discovered this great British author. I loved the characters and the storyline. Interesting to read about a supernatural mystery as opposed to just focussing on a love story. Having said that, I would love things to heat up between Bo and Michael in future books!

5.0 out of 5 stars bo, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Was frustrated, irritated and loved Bo as a character. The story of her adventure was a marvel, or I should say it was a marvel she survived, it seemed at times it was only luck and sheer dogged bloody minded ness that kept her from the grave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a new series!!!, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Can't wait for the next book in the series. This looks like it's shaping up to be just as good as the Blood Destiny series - and that was one of the best I've read! Hurry up book 2!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good read but..., 30 Aug 2014
Kindle Customer (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm looking forward to this new series but marked this book down due to the numerous grammar, punctuation and formatting errors. Unnecessarily sloppy.

Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1)