5.0 out of 5 stars A first class thriller
I've read most of the Gabriel Allon thrillers and, at the time I reviewed `Rembrandt Affair', I found myself suspecting - like several other reviewers - it was time Gabriel Allon said goodbye to Israeli intelligence and settled for nothing more demanding than the restoring of old masterpieces.

Fortunately `The English Girl' completely restored my faith in...
Published 9 months ago by Terry D

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not one of Daniel Silva's best!
Sadly not one of Daniel Silva's best!
Published 8 months ago by sylvain reinhold

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class thriller, 27 July 2014
Terry D "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Fortunately `The English Girl' completely restored my faith in Daniel Silva and I was genuinely looking forward to the publication of `The Heist', the 14th book in the Gabriel Allon saga.

Although the underlying theme is inevitably similar to the earlier books, it won't matter if this is your first contact with Gabriel Allon. Daniel Silva skilfully sketches out the background to Gabriel's abilities as a restorer of old masterpieces and to his role in various Israeli intelligence operations.

As with a number of recent Gabriel Allon thrillers `The Heist' is set in today's world. This time, instead of facing up to Iran's determination to develop a nuclear weapons capability, we're taken into the dark world of Syrian intelligence and the ruthless elimination of opponents to the ruling regime. Plus - absolute power corrupts absolutely - the systematic plundering of the country's economy and the transfer, out of the country, of vast sums of money.

Several priceless masterpieces - some stolen several years ago - plus the security services of the UK, France, Germany and Austria play their part. `The Heist', quite genuinely, held my attention from page one to the very end.

Read and, most definitely, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!, 23 July 2014
CAUTION: Once you begin this book you will be half way through before you take a breath. Then, you will take a breath and continue until you are at the end because you just can't stop. It is sad that you have waited a year for #14 in the Gabriel Allon series to come out and then can't put it down and it is finished in one sitting, all 472 pages, including the Author's Note.
That's just how it is with Gabriel.

CAUTION: If this is your first Gabriel Allon book be warned that you are not going to be able to stop with just this one. So be prepared that you are going to want to go back to book #1 and read them all. You just can't help yourself.
That's just how it is with Gabriel.

It is not unusual that an author with a recurring character, or in this case many recurring characters, will start to get stale by book #14 - this I assure you is not so with Daniel Silva. This book is as timely and fresh and relatable as if Gabriel Allon had just appeared on the scene.

Mr. Silva has a very smart way of weaving in the back-story of each recurring character for the benefit of any reader new to the series. Even having read this series from book #1, I appreciate it since I read many books during the year and am glad for the little nudge to remind me of who is who and what their relationships are to each other.

If you are craving a page-turning thriller/ suspense/ clever/ intriguing well written story about an art restorer /spy you have just found it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to this excellent series but maybe start with the earlier books before reading this, 19 July 2014
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I look forward each summer for the next Gabriel Allon adventure and this latest instalment did not disappoint. The familiar ingredients are here for those who have read the previous books. Chiara is now pregnant with twins, and the story begins with the couple living quietly in Venice although we already know that the tranquillity cannot last because soon,Gabriel will have to return to Israel to take charge at King Saul Boulevard, home of Israel's secret service. The combination of art with espionage might seem unlikely but works really well. Allon is drawn into the darker side of the art world - stolen masterpieces as a form of investments for those who may find their more traditional assets frozen. In this case, stolen art leads Allon to the money at the heart of the Syrian regime, and of course The Office has to construct an elaborate plan to strike at an enemy of Israel. The plot didn't feel to me like it had quite the complexity of some of Silva's earlier books and there are quite a lot of characters and events from previous outings referenced here so this may not be the place to start if you are unfamiliar with this series. Having said that, this is a good addition to an excellent series and I'm already looking forward to finding out how Allon's career develops in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fix for Allon addicts, 1 Aug. 2014
The Heist is a joy to read. Elegant story telling, great characters and a suspenseful and believable plot that is very much up to date. I found myself checking various references and learning a lot about Syria, Caravaggio and the secret world of private banking. Gabriel Allon and his team almost seem like old friends we're getting to know better every year and I'm curious about their future endeavours. Reading Daniel Silva's latest novel has become a very pleasant summer routine. I'm already looking forward to next year's outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 31 July 2014
I've read all of Daniel Silva's novel and he hasn't as yet disappointed in any. The intrigue seems almost impossible in each novel. With Gabriel Allon getting older and it would seem wiser. With Amri ready to hand over. Chiara expecting twins. The Heist is a clever plot. I'm sorry I don't go into the full story review although I do enjoy reading the others and take note. I just know that whatever Silva writes will suit me fine. When you pick up the book you know you are in comfortable territory and will find it hard to put down. Can't wait for the next one although he doesn't churn them out like other authors. It will be worth the wait as there is more to tell in this man's life and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best so far, 7 Dec. 2014
Book 14, in the Gabriel Allon series

This series has managed to stay fresh time after time and after fourteen stories not only it is getting better and better as it moves along it has also kept up with the high expectation we demand as fans. Daniel Silva is definitely a master spy crafter that anticipates what we want, knows how to provide every bit of excitement from the get-go and never fails to entertain his readers. I agree with everyone saying this latest has to be one of the best if not the best so far.

This 14th caper is not only a fun read it also has all the elements I love in a thriller: a great plot, unique characters and a range of emotions within the words. Gabriel is on his last commission before becoming the head of the Israeli Intelligence Agency. In the first part of the book Gabriel spends some time with his wife doing what he loves best restoring a painting. But soon this serene time is disturbed by the death of a man suspected to be a purveyor of stolen art. Who else can be the perfect investigator but our debonair Mr. Allon….. In the second half of the book Gabriel masterminds a scheme to seize monies stolen by the Syrian government. As in many other novels Gabriel has always time to visit his first wife and the scenes with her have always been heart wrenching and this latest follow the same pattern.

“The Heist” is more than a spy thriller it also dabs into history, gives us a sample of art restoration and provides some insights into illicit activities, here we have looting and selling of stolen art for the enrichment of dictators.

This thriller is a page turner and very hard to put down. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 23 Aug. 2014
Mrs. J. C. Nice "bookaholic" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Another clever, well written and plot driven book by Daniel Silva featuring Gabriel Allon. Gabriel is happily settled in Venice along with his beloved Chiara awaiting the birth of their twins when he is persuaded by the Italian Police to help track down the most famous missing painting in the world, a Caravaggio. A former British spy has been dealing in stolen artwork and has been murdered with Gabriel's friend, art dealer Julian Isherwood, being treated as a suspect. Gabriel and his team come up with the idea of stealing another famous painting to flush out the missing Caravaggio and the heist of the painting and the twists and turns of the book is Daniel Silva at his best. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Silva at his best., 1 Jan. 2015
Excellent book, Silva at his best.
But, dear Mr. Silva, I am not sure that Syria's president is such an archvillain. Two years before the Arab "Awakening" we traveled in Syria, an old french couple in a battered SUV, guided by Google Earth tracks in our gps. In remote parts of the country, women wore a scarf and not a veil. And THE GIRLS WENT TO SCHOOL! In Hama the restaurant by the river was full, and boys noisily diving from the famous wheels.
The french newspaper "Le Monde" wrote at the time of Hama rising (1982-feb-13 ): "lutte menée par les intégristes islamiques et leurs alliés contre le président Assad"... and if i had to be ruled by Assad or ISIS, i sure would choose the former!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Silva does it again, 15 Sept. 2014
I always look forward to Daniel Silva's new book and The Heist was up to my expectations. My, Gabriel Allon really does get himself into awkward situations- he should stick to restoring old masters !!!
The plot in this offering by D.S. was cleverly developed and as usual I found it compulsive reading. I cannot wait for the next book in this series and I wonder how Gabriel will cope in his new job - we will have to wait and see, hopefully all will be revealed in 2015 !

4.0 out of 5 stars Captured, 16 Oct. 2014
Another solid outing for Gabriel Allon as a murdered British man, a Caravaggio painting, Syrian intelligence and his impending enthronement as head of King Saul Boulevard combine in another contemporary thriller.

That said, the first half of the Allon thrillers are best, where the scenarios are different and Allon is on his own. The second half of the recent novels always seem to follow the same procedure, and for me that's a shame. Let's have Gabriel alone...