4.0 out of 5 stars The Shroud Maker
Published 16 months ago by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Having read a Wesley Peterson book before, I was ...
Having read a Wesley Peterson book before, I was looking forward to this one, but it didn't light my fire.
Published 21 days ago by Susan R Keen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Shroud Maker, 27 Jan. 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
There is a festival going on in Tradmouth and the place is packed with festival goers. A year ago a young woman, Jenny Bercival, disappeared and her mother has returned to the area to try and trace her daughter because she has been receiving anonymous letters saying Jenny is still alive. A body is found floating in the harbour dressed in Medieval costume. The young woman has been strangled. Wesley Peterson and his boss are investigating the case and the anonymous letters about Jenny.

Wesley’s friend, Neil – an archaeologist – is conducting a dig at a property which is about to be renovated by a local businessman, Chris Butcher when a skeleton is found. Ancient or modern? Could it be the missing girl from a year ago? Missing people in the twenty first century, Medieval goings on and a Victorian historian whose private life seems a little odd – not to speak of a suspicious website which has a large cult following – provide plenty of mysteries for the reader of this latest offering in the Wesley Peterson series.

I enjoyed reading this book but I had the feeling that there were just too many strands in the mysteries and the ending was a little rushed as though the book should have been longer – which is why I have not given it five stars. It is well written and the main characters are well drawn but there were too many characters which remained undeveloped – or that is how I felt about the book. It has not put me off the series but I felt a little disappointed by this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars well written who-dunnit from Ellis!!, 21 April 2015
As novel #18 in the Wesley Peterson series, readers generally know what they are getting now with a Kate Ellis novel and The Shroud Maker doesn't disappoint. Ellis easily allows the reader to imagine the hustle and bustle of a busy seaside town.
I always enjoy Ellis's use of past and present storylines within her novels, mixing archaeological finds, forgotten manuscripts with present day sources to intricately weave the plot. This storyline took the notion one step further with the present timeline focussing on a computer game and how the victim linked with it.
The story itself focusses on two similar young women who have gone missing in the town, one of whom has been found dead. This happens at a time when a yearly historic festival is taking place, meaning a surge of incomers, the majority of whom are in fancy dress. How can the police pull together a suspect list?
The only minor criticism is this storyline has similarities with "The Cadaver Game" with the life imitating video games theme, but this doesn't take anything away from this really enjoyable read with a lot of twist and a good range of characters/character viewpoints.
With enough clues (and a few surprise twists) dropped along the way to keep the reader guessing, this is another well written who-dunnit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Average, 29 Jun. 2014
Not as good as some titles, but maybe I'm getting used to the plots. Will have a break from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is My Favorite Police Procedural Series!, 22 April 2014
I love the Wesley Peterson series and have ever since I picked up the first one at my library many years ago. Kate Ellis is a wonderful author, who creates believable characters that make you care about them as their life stories unfold from book to book. She juggles the modern story with an incredible archaeological tale that mirrors and reflects the plot, adding atmosphere and historical nuance to each novel. When my library here in Tampa, Florida, suffered budget cuts and stopped carrying the series, I was determined to keep reading them, even if it meant establishing an account on Amazon UK and paying extra to buy and have them shipped here! The books are well worth the price and, as they usually come out in March (which is my birth month), I consider them as my favorite present to myself! If you love to read an intelligent, thought-provoking, hard-to-guess murder mystery, then Kate Ellis and her Wesley Peterson books are what you will want to buy -- after working 33+ years as a librarian, I wouldn't steer you wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Medievalism meets fantasy., 1 Mar. 2015
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A bold creation from an author well-known for slipping easily between two ages. This is a novel about obsession and fantasy. Ellis creates so many characters who weave their way though this novel, yet they are all fully credible. Gerry's family issues are at the forefront this time, but Joyce remains well below the surface and the reader has yet to meet her. The ending is stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars ancestry nut, 23 April 2015
Robbo (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
Love the Kate Ellis ( Wesley Peterson ) books and this one is no exception . I like the way it delves into the past as well as keeping to a traditional murder storyline . There are lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing . If you like a good murder mystery then I recommend you read Kate Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars another author whose books I really enjoy and this one doesn't disappoint, 5 Jan. 2015
another author whose books I really enjoy and this one doesn't disappoint. I love the glimpses into the private lives Wesley, his wider family and his work colleagues. Just waiting for next in series

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 21 Jan. 2014
Brilliant book could not put it down it deserves five stars would recommend it have not read a bad book from this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful combination of past and present, 8 Jun. 2014
Marleen (Cavan, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I received my copy from the publisher through Nudge

I’ve read most, although not all, of the previous Wesley Peterson mysteries and have to admit that even after almost twenty books I’m still intrigued with these stories. The way in which Kate Ellis manages to combine historical mysteries with present day crimes never fails to impress me. Of course it is a stretch of the imagination that every crime this police force investigates happens to bear striking similarities with crimes committed in the past but it is a conceit that works very well and gives the story added interest.

The mystery in this book intrigued me and kept me on the edge of my seat although I have to admit that there were times when the sheer number of characters and suspects confused me. In fact, even now that I’ve finished the book I have to think long and hard before I’m able to explain exactly what happened and why. In fact, it almost feels as if the author went a bit too far when she plotted this story. There are too many different angles that are too similar to each other. I’d like to expand on this point but since I’m unable to do so without spoiling the story for others I’ll refrain. Having said that, while the resolution may have been convoluted, it did work and fit the story perfectly. My issue is not with an unsatisfactory ending rather than a not clear cut enough one.

One of the things I enjoy about long running series is the opportunity they give the reader to really get to know the characters and watch them as time passes. Having said that, some plot points have been dragged out a bit too long for me by this stage. I just don’t buy Rachel still being obsessed with Wesley after all this time and while I appreciate it gives the story added spice I really think that particular storyline has been milked for all its worth.

I do appreciate Kate Ellis painting a more or less realistic picture of police work and the frustrations involved. While the mysteries are solved and the reader is given all the answers, it doesn’t always mean that those who need to be punished are also caught. And I like the way these books are written. The style is unhurried, almost leisurely, and yet there isn’t a boring or uninteresting sentence in the book. The star attraction in these books has always been and still is the very clever link between past (be it distant or recent) and present.

I am still glad I discovered this series several years ago and know that I will continue reading these mysteries for as long as the author continues to write them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shroud Maker, 14 Feb. 2014
Another good book in the Wesley Peterson series. Good storyline and characters that you feel you get to know. Good mix of police/detective work, personal lives of the characters and a background theme of past times running throughout the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›