Published 5 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars A good adventure story, which disappointed me.
A well written account of a solo cycle trip across America from east to west and south to Mexico, which must be described as a "monumental achievement".
Published 11 days ago by para3drop

5.0 out of 5 stars I was so engrossed in this book the other day that I missed my stop on the train., 21 Nov. 2014
A fantastically well-written account of the realities of a long cycling expedition. For me, the reason I love travel books like this one is the chance to live vicariously through the author's experiences and for that, the reader needs honesty from the author. To his credit, Leon doesn't shy away from telling you about the more mundane or depressing aspects of his trip, which for me makes it all the more real.

I feel as though books like this one can often get by without being particularly well-written because the story itself is so interesting and engaging. But, to be a great book, rather than just a great story (with the best example I can think of being Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels), the story itself isn't enough. It needs to be to told by a brilliant writer. I was thrilled to find that The Road Headed West ticks both of these boxes and more.

For my own completely selfish reasons, I hope Leon McCarron decides to go on some more adventures like this one and decides to write another great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual travel book!, 21 Sept. 2014
Leon begins by asking us to forgive him any liberties he has taken with his writing of The Road Headed West. This is not a problem for me as I was hooked from the prologue!
Leon has a way with words, that as others have commented makes you laugh out loud and feel as though you're cycling with him.This results in a book which gives you both an insight into a cross section of American people ( some stranger than others!) and paints a picture of the changing landscape as he heroically cycles across America.
However, there's more.....
Leon's optimistic view of life causes you to consider your own. Maybe there are more possibilities even if we don't cycle!
I'm looking forward to reading more of Leon's adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars I expected a pretty straightforward travel book, 1 Dec. 2014
Craig (Highland, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I expected a pretty straightforward travel book, but was pleasantly surprised to discover a very well written book. The author is wise beyond his years and I found his journey across our great country to be inspirational and very funny. It is hear warming to see how strangers still go out of their way to help a young man on the road and the cast of characters that the author meets on his trip keep the story moving along at a good clip. Highly recommend this and look forward to reading more stories by this young adventurer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just your average travel book..., 17 Oct. 2014
I thought this was written in a very easy to read way. Having seen McCarron at a travel film festival he writes as he speaks, with wit and clever observations of human behaviour, all without the cynicism that can affect travel writing.
I think that this book will not only appeal to those interested in travel but also those who wish to read a book that is not just about a physical journey but also the adventure of discovering one's self and wonder in the world around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's amazing. Buy it immediately, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Road Headed West: America Coast to Coast: A Cycling Odyssey (Kindle Edition)
Just finished Leon McCarron's The Road Headed West. Couldn't put it down, it's amazing. Buy it immediately. This made me laugh out loud c. 8 times, which is approaching the Bill Bryson order of magnitude. Also, I bought a bike yesterday so it must have had a a profound effect. Touching, hilarious and inspiring and there is a now a little hole where this book once was. Please write another about the second half of your adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking a cycle on the wild side.............., 15 Aug. 2014
I soooooooooooooo want to pack up my bike and go! From the off this book captured my imagination. I found it hard to put down. I love the style of Leon McCarrons writing (Indeed its the same when you watch any of his DVD's he speaks as he writes. Anyone with a sense of adventure would enjoy this book thoroughly and it will be my great pleasure to share word of it with my friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good adventure story, which disappointed me., 24 April 2015
Leon McCarron tells us of his at times, hair raising adventures and of his meetings and experiences with interesting people. He has plenty say about what he sees and voices opinions about almost everything. His admission on page 332, that..." I have written this book largely for selfish reasons" is borne out in his remarks about those who followed in the footsteps of the 'great explorers', the attitude of many people towards nature and his disapproving comments about strangers he observed, because they were overweight.
Were he to make a similar exploratory expedition across England, I wonder what he would find to say about the Angles, Saxons, Vikings and Normans.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good easy-going read, 28 Jan. 2015
Bought as a 'Daily Deal' for Kindle I wasn't expecting too much so was pleasantly surprised by this tale of a bike trip across the USA. Written in a very open and inviting style I found myself drawn to the story and the encounters along the way. Americans are often portrayed negatively outside of their home country but this tallies with my own findings of a generally warm, open and extremely hospitable bunch (one or two a**holes aside).

A good, easy going read

5.0 out of 5 stars A corker of a read, 21 Feb. 2015
I have read many cycle related travel book recently and this one really stands out as a corker. Leon is incredibly funny and writes extremely well and is very thought-provoking. At times I had to remind myself that this is a true story as some of his encounters were at times unbelievable and something you could only imagine happening in a horror movie (like getting a gun held to your head!). A sincerely fantastic read! I hope he decides to right a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something we all should read, 22 Jan. 2015
This book beautifully echoes so many things that I think we all experience when taking the wobbly steps from late youth to early adulthood. Whether we're alone on a bicycle in a foreign land or plugging away at making a living in an office, some thoughts/realisations have universality and Leon McCarron puts them artfully on the page. Strongly recommend whether interested in travel or not!