4.0 out of 5 stars chilling read
Published 11 months ago by Compelling Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read with a good ending.
Published 3 months ago by Sammieekins

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read with a good ending., 12 April 2015
Sammieekins "Sam" (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
I picked this book up because it was £1.99 in the store I went in because I was intrigued by it's blurb. I see that are few people are (and aren't) comparing it to Gone Girl which I have also read. It's similar in that a girl goes missing but that's really it. I think it would be a lot more accurate to compare it to Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. If you, like me, enjoyed that book then you will enjoy The Good Girl.

The book is very easy to read. I did find the Before/After chapters a little annoying but I think that's just personal preference. I found that the 'After' parts for me kind of gave away what was going to happen in the rest of the book, not so much the twist but the way events were going to unfold.
Characters were a little bleak, especially the mother, Eve. They were all a little stereotypical, i.e. the damsel in distress mother, the knows-best detective, but towards the end I didn't mind Mia and Colin so much. It was a shame because Mary Kubica obviously has some clear ideas that she just didn't manage to execute but for a debut novel it can only be a good sign of things to come.
Finally, the reason that this book wasn't four stars for me was that I felt a lot of the chapters were filling time, like the author was trying to bulk out the book a little. There were a lot of things that turned out to be nothing in the cabin and I didn't really care whether Eve and the Detective were in love or not, in fact it probably would have made for a better story had they not been, maybe rather a duo. There were some chapters that didn't really add anything to the story but just slowed it down which makes me wonder if that's where other reviewers have said they gave up?

I would recommend this book to a friend, however, maybe for a flight or a long journey. It's an easy read with a good ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing debut. Highly recommended, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Sometimes, being a book blogger means that you get to discover an author you may have never have encountered through the normal bookselling channels. This is one such case. I wouldn’t normally associate Harlequin with thrillers but the MIRA division is a new approach and having read the blurb and seeing the fantastic cover, I was sucked in. A few pages in, I had to check that this was a debut novel, and it was. This is an author to watch out for!
Mia Dennett, daughter of a wealthy, prominent Judge and his English born, stunning wife, has always been unique. A lover of art, independent thinking and basically anything the opposite of her father’s world. Rarely seen at home since she left at eighteen, Judge Dennett doesn’t seem too worried when she is reported missing by her friend. Her mother, Eve, knows something is wrong and will do anything to find Gabe Hoffman is assigned the case and traces her last movements. Meanwhile, Mia is cold, terrified and has no idea what is happening to her........

Mary Kubica has written a story of any mother’s worst nightmare. The disappearance of her child, no matter what their age. The Chicago based family are not used to getting their own way and are divided in how to approach the whole ordeal. Detective Hoffman resents their wealth and power but yet manages to form a connection with Eve. Their mutual desire to discover what has happened to Mia is the momentum the case needs. Alongside this, is Mia’s story. The reader knows from the start where she is and why she is there, but Mia herself doesn’t. I won’t divulge any more information as it is the unknown that keeps you flicking those pages over. And flick, I did. Read in one 24 hour period, I loved this book. It was a perfect pace, dragging you along nicely, great characters, amazing location descriptions and plenty of thrills. It resembles some of Harlan Coben’s stand alone novels and is a great cross gender novel. No fluffed out filler chapters, just one great page after another. A psychological thriller with the flair of a more established author, I can’t wait for Mary’s next book! MIRA, I am impressed........

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
I was very intrigued by this book. Lots of excellent reviews, mentioned in book of year lists. I began to read it and was enjoying it but at some point I thought we would have a chapter from Mia's point of view. Instead the story is told by the detective, Mia's mother and the kidnapper. There is a lot of guessing and descriptions of Mia's moods and thoughts by these characters. I found this really irritating. I can see why people have compared this to Gone Girl, however it is an unfair comparison. Gone Girl is far better written, with more interesting, likable characters. This book lacked depth and I felt no empathy with the characters. It is worth a read but it is definitely not one of my favourite books.

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling read, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
The Good Girl is a psychological thriller, following Mia Dennett, the young and care free daughter of a judge who is kidnapped by the enigmatic stranger who she met in a bar, Colin. We follow Gabe, the detective investigating her disapperance, her mother Eve and kidnapper Colin, as well as Mia through out the ordeal through flashbacks, and in the days following her kidnapping. But I will stop there as I do not want to give too much away and spoil the story.

The Good Girl throws you straight in to the action and had me hooked from the beginning. It was fast paced and gritty, meaning I found myself sat up until the early hours of the morning, desperate to find out what would happen next. I haven't read a good psychological thriller in a while and so this was a refreshing break from all the chick lit books I've been reading recently.

The plot is brilliant, it is cleverly thought out and there were some brilliant twists to the plot which I never saw coming. And wow, what an ending! That was the biggest surprise of the whole book, but an incredible conclusion (I don't want to give any spoilers so will stop here, you will have to read TGG for yourself). I loved how the chapters were written from a different characters view point, I loved this insight in to their perspective of what was happening and seeing the developing relationships and the impacts these had on the story as a whole.

The characters were all incredibly diverse and brilliantly written, I could feel real empathy for each of them. Even Colin, at first I despised his character, but through his thoughts and as the story developed, I actually found myself becoming quite fond of him. In fact he was probably my favourite character.

It was hard to believe that The Good Girl was a debut novel, such was the skill and brilliance with which Mary Kubia wrote this book.The Good Girl was brilliantly written and flowed seamlessly between the past and present, and the different characters.

The Good Girl is a truly chilling read and is no doubt going to be a massive success. I am so glad I read this book as it really is a treasure and certainly deserves all the praise it has been receiving. This a book which I could easily have devoured in one sitting and it definitely stayed with me for a while after I finished it.

So if you love a psychological thriller and want a gripping read which will surprise you throughout, this is most definitely the book for you. So get clicking the link below and buy your copy today!

Thank you to Cara for sending my a copy of The Good Girl in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her parents are living a good life and have enough money to keep them comfortable, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
Mia is the daughter of judge Dennett, who's a man of status and appearance. Her parents are living a good life and have enough money to keep them comfortable. Her sister's like her father, but Mia is different. Money and a high social status aren't very important to her and she's chosen a profession as a teacher who's there for children who need her. She's seeing someone, but not seriously and when she meets someone in a bar she decides to go home with him. That might have been the biggest mistake Mia has ever made. Her mother is worried about her daughter and does everything she can to find her.

Mia's story is being told through the eyes of several people. The first one is her mother who's worried about her daughter. Mia's disappearance makes her think about what kind of mother she's been and what kind of wife she is. The second voice is Gabe, the police officer who wants nothing more than to find Mia and to bring her back alive. The third person, who tells about his days with Mia, is Colin, the man from the bar. I liked the variety of voices and also the short chapters with their focus on different periods of time.

The Good Girl isn't very scary, but it's certainly gripping and intriguing. I very much wanted to know what happened to Mia and the story kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading. I also didn't know what to expect from this book and I loved that surprise element. I enjoyed finding out more about Mia through the eyes of different people. In my opinion that was the best part of the book. The ending suits the story really well and for me it was the perfect outcome of a story I liked a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent twisty tale...., 1 Aug. 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Now we all know I love a good twisty tale – and this was an excellent example – with some great characters, a wonderful flow and a genuinely intriguing mystery, cleverly constructed and very addictive.

Mia lives separately from her rich and influential family – when she meets a stranger in a bar, she impulsively agrees to go home with him – however he is not what he appears and soon she finds herself in real danger, cut off from civilisation and fighting to survive. Meanwhile, back at home, her Mother is determined to find out what has happened to Mia, despite her husband’s insistence that there is nothing wrong.

My favourite thing about this one was the way the story came together – short snappy chapters telling first one person’s story then another and set both in the before and after – cleverly done so you are often looking backwards as well as forwards – one event may lead you to interpret a previous happening differently. The characters are all well drawn, from Mia herself, her family,Gabe the policeman who searches doggedly for clues and right at the centre, my favourite person in the mix, Colin. The Man who took her away…

Add to that some intelligent plotting, a plethora of clues to follow, some wonderfully emotional moments and a bad guy you will fall in love with and you have a most terrific story that will make the dullest day flow past you at break neck speed. The ending lives up to the promise of the rest (I did in fact work it out quite a bit before but was REALLY hoping to be wrong) and overall this is a most terrific example of its kind.

Highly Recommended for fans of the psychological thriller and a story with a sting in the tail…

**review via netgalley review copy thank you***

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from "Gone Girl" but certainly not better than, 19 Nov. 2014
Marc Whiffen "Marc Whiffen" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
Advertised as being a better book than Gone Girl which was what drew me to this book. However I can only charitably say that this is a different book than Flynns novel. I am certainly not convinced by the "better" label. However this doesn't make this a bad book by any means.

The book progresses via the viewpoints of three of the main characters at both before the event and after it. This can often be confusing as the voice used for the detective Gabe Hoffman and Eve Dennett are often very similar, in fact at times, too similar. The only differing voice is that of the main antagonist and even then it's so off-hand and guarded that the final dénouement comes as more of a surprise when you understand how scarred the psyche of this man is and how that would make him quite unstable. This is what made the plot twist so "shocking" in my opinion and in fact the assertions of the psychologist at the end hold more validity than the inherent romanticism.

The sketchy characterisations within the book tend toward being one dimensional apart from the conceit of voicing their own past in their own viewpoints. The least defined character being the detective who seems to be merely a plot device to keep on moving the book to its conclusion rather than an integral part of the whole. Apart from a single character the rest follow the "good" and "bad" outlines from start to finish and rarely depart from those. Even the 'twist' seemed rather contrived as the 'bad guy' had so clearly been delineated as such from the books opening chapter.

That's not to say that the book is bad. It isn't by any means and is very readable and quite enthralling at times. It has a good pace and the flitting between the past and present is handled well which is not an easy thing to do. However it isn't a gripping crime novel and plays more towards a romance with kidnapping thrown in for good measure. And this is not really what I had expected nor what I wanted but credit where it's due, the book is written well and avoids being too clichéd and hackneyed. A decent read for someone who likes a mix of romance and crime but not to my particular taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Gone Girl, Good Girl blows it away!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Forget Gone Girl, The Good Girl blows it away. I hated Gone Girl as it was full of unlikeable characters that I could not care less about. In this book from the moment we realise Mia is missing I was hooked. Interestingly enough the next chapter shows Mia home after her disappearance so we know she has survived whatever ordeal she was subjected to. Thereafter the chapters alternate between before and after her return home. The main characters are Mia, her mother, the police detective investigating her disappearance Gabe and her captor Colin and as the story progresses each character changes and as such our opinion of each changes also. There is very little I can say about the plot line without giving anything away, but I can say it is the first thriller I have read that I felt far more sorry for the captor than I did the actual victim. Debut novel or not this thriller was amazing and the pages literally turned themselves and what made it even more impressive was the ending as often you are left underwhelmed at the conclusion of an otherwise gripping tired disappearance storyline and as such acclaimed thriller novelists should watch their back!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)
As I was updating my reading progress at 100% on goodreads I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke!!! Who knew!!!' Literally they were the only words I could find to explain my feelings, how in awe I was at such a story.

The Good Girl is a story about Mia, the daughter of a superior Judge who is suddenly being watched, followed and then kidnapped by a man known as 'Owen'. Initially she's meant to be delivered to someone who wants to use her for ransom but Owen has other thoughts and ends up taking her to a cabin in the woods and holds Mia captive to keep her safe. Her arrogant father seems to think she's off being irresponsible yet her mother is devastated and worried about her missing daughter.

But don't let it fool you... it's not what it seems...

Wrote from the perspective of mainly three but four different characters who are so complex and desperate they have so much in common but are so drastically unique in themselves. We see the characters before and then again after and we see how the past shapes their present and eventually their future and we see how in such a short amount of time their lives change just like that!

I found I was drawn in by the avid descriptions setting the scene enabling me to picture myself right there at every moment watching... from the sideline. I understood and could sympathise with the two main characters as their lives are revealed sharing with us their struggles, woes and deepest fears from within.

One great page after another I was sucked in bit by bit and devoured the book in such a short space of time, how could I have put it down? Such an intense novel that keeps the readers guessing and thinking... even after the book is finished!

I can't wait for the next novel by this fabulous Author!!!

Thank-you to NetGalley and Harlequin Mira for a kindle copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex read that is wholly rewarding and is moving and disturbing in equal measures., 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
I can not believe this book is a debut! Kubica has a unique style of writing that draws you in immediately. The story is told from multiple view points, shifting between narrators and flitting between different times. Its a complex read that is wholly rewarding and is moving and disturbing in equal measures. So much more than your typical 'abduction thriller' I loved the way it gave me shivers one minute and made me close to tears the next.
The characters literally jump off the page and whilst its hard to go into detail for fear of spoiling the excellent plot, I really enjoyed how the novel turned certain characters on their heads meaning the ones you trust are sometimes the ones you should fear the most.
The novel delves deeply into the butterfly effect of how a split second can impact on so many lives and the consequences that follow.
Rich in beautiful prose, I savoured every single word and found myself reading slower and slower so it wouldn't have to end!
I can not recommend this book highly enough, a spine tingling, thought provoking journey that will stay with me for a very long time 'We were here, I think, but its someone else who leaves.'

Thank you so much to the publishers and to NetGalley for the advance copy.