As I was updating my reading progress at 100% on goodreads I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke!!! Who knew!!!' Literally they were the only words I could find to explain my feelings, how in awe I was at such a story.

Published 7 months ago by Kindle Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was really disappointed
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)

The Good Girl is a story about Mia, the daughter of a superior Judge who is suddenly being watched, followed and then kidnapped by a man known as 'Owen'. Initially she's meant to be delivered to someone who wants to use her for ransom but Owen has other thoughts and ends up taking her to a cabin in the woods and holds Mia captive to keep her safe. Her arrogant father seems to think she's off being irresponsible yet her mother is devastated and worried about her missing daughter.

But don't let it fool you... it's not what it seems...

Wrote from the perspective of mainly three but four different characters who are so complex and desperate they have so much in common but are so drastically unique in themselves. We see the characters before and then again after and we see how the past shapes their present and eventually their future and we see how in such a short amount of time their lives change just like that!

I found I was drawn in by the avid descriptions setting the scene enabling me to picture myself right there at every moment watching... from the sideline. I understood and could sympathise with the two main characters as their lives are revealed sharing with us their struggles, woes and deepest fears from within.

One great page after another I was sucked in bit by bit and devoured the book in such a short space of time, how could I have put it down? Such an intense novel that keeps the readers guessing and thinking... even after the book is finished!

I can't wait for the next novel by this fabulous Author!!!

Thank-you to NetGalley and Harlequin Mira for a kindle copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (MP3 CD)
Great thriller with a brilliant twist at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The line between good and bad becomes blurred in this superb psychological thriller, 30 July 2014
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)
This review is from: The Good Girl: Free Sampler (Kindle Edition)
I think this book might just make a bit of a buzz. It is extraordinary in a sense that the pace is comfortable and it works, despite the upsetting scenario and the end is just, well I let's say I wasn't expecting it at all.

The chapters go from past to present, before and after the event and told by multiple characters. This gives the story an almost Dolby surround effect in literary visuals.

The reader wanders through the chapters from the mother to the victim, from the police and then to the perpetrator. Images, events, emotions and realizations

It sucks you in, grinds you slowly through the emotional cogs and spits you out quite unsettled at the very end.

It will be excruciatingly hard not to let any spoilers creep in and yet I do like to get down to the nitty-gritty when thinking back on a read, but other readers deserve to experience that specific element of surprise Kubica has incorporated into the story. It is the equivalent to being smacked over the head with a cricket bat, after riding a roller coaster.

Is the bad guy a good guy? The lines often become blurred in kidnapping cases, and victims held for a long period of time can suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. They can become attached to their only lifeline in a way that is incomprehensible to outsiders.

One of the other key points in the book is the opinions of the parents, the mother's instinct about her child and the father's indifference towards her. Is it indifference or just a recognition and acknowledgement of character, based on past events? Are all her mistakes bound to be set in stone and determine how he perceives his daughter?

A bad penny with a penchant for bad decisions and destined to disappoint? Perhaps that is why one parent doesn't seem to care as much as they should, whilst the other wilts away with worry. Does her father think her past is indicative of her true nature? How very sad to be judged on the difficult teenage years with no possibility of redemption.

The author takes her time drawing a complex relationship between the victim and the kidnapper, at the same time the reader gets a close uncomfortable look behind the doors of her family life.

This was an invigorating read and one I highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Harlequin UK & MIRA UK.

2.0 out of 5 stars which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was really disappointed, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)
I bought this book following other reviewers comparisons to Gone Girl, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was really disappointed. I guessed the plot twist about 1/4 of the way in, and didn't suspect any other characters. I found the pace slow and the characters lacked depth. The author succumbs to so many clichés, spoilt rich kids, submissive wives, a bad guy who's ultimately good...
It was an Ok read, I got to the end mainly to confirm my suspicion regarding the twist, but i won't waste time on more from the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew my socks off, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)
A long time go I read 'A Kiss Before Dying' by Ira Levin, written in 1953, it was the first book I'd read that used different narrators and time changes to construct a story so cunning and tense that it blew my socks off. 'The Good Girl' by Mary Kubica has had the same effect. Told by three narrators, the mother, the cop and the kidnapper, the story goes back and forth in time between abduction and aftermath with compelling tension and sleight of hand; and a fluidity of narrative style that keeps the pages turning. You'll be recommending this one to all your friends and dying to tell them how it ends. A stunning début.