Exciting, not what I first thought. Really did make me wonder and forced me to go back a little to be sure what I had read. Now when something makes me do that, must be good and thought provoking.

Told from various aspects both from before to after of the characters.

Really is addictive and I did think what a perfect family at first to how...
Published 8 months ago by Alessi Lover

2.0 out of 5 stars which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was really disappointed
I bought this book following other reviewers comparisons to Gone Girl, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was really disappointed. I guessed the plot twist about 1/4 of the way in, and didn't suspect any other characters. I found the pace slow and the characters lacked depth. The author succumbs to so many clichés, spoilt rich kids, submissive wives, a bad guy who's...
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Girl Mary Kubica - made me a bad girl and got nothing done, 10 July 2014
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Told from various aspects both from before to after of the characters.

Really is addictive and I did think what a perfect family at first to how strange.

This book may be called The Good Girl, turned me into a bad girl that got nothing done reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title confusing with Gone Girl - this is Good!, 31 Aug. 2014
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Good Girl Gone...

Although initially slightly daunted by the mental gymnastics required by a diced up time scale and three differing narrative voices, I soon settled into what is sure one of the trickiest, cleverest, most rewarding, human interest crime tales of this year.

If you are the kind of reader who takes their exercise by jumping to conclusions you will be delightfully outwitted, smartly forced to rethink your first impressions, right up to the last page. Remember the quote - while seeking revenge, dig two graves, one for yourself.

Judge James Dennett rules the Lake Michigan `stately' home. He has subdued his elegant English wife Eva by his bullying and bombastic attitude. There are two daughters, Grace, who is a credit to her father, a lawyer with an apparently harder heart than her sister, Mia, who works with troubled teenagers and has lately withdrawn from the family circle. Issues running right back to babyhood tangle and twist the behaviour of all concerned.

Then one day, Mia is missing; her disappearance barely causing a ripple, for a while, that is until Detective Gabe Hoffman gets hold of the bone and won't let it go. He is determined, whatever feelings he has to trample over, lengths he has to go to, to find this girl and return her to her mother. Gabe is a great guy, one you would definitely want on your side.

Meanwhile, from the darker side is Colin, on the face of it, a hardened criminal, but, as you will find, nothing can be as it seems! I have run out of alternatives for the word `apparently'.

I really enjoyed being involved in this mystery and needed a while alone afterwards to tease out what had actually happened and rewire my brain. Very cunning, crafty writing. I was sent this for a review by Harlequin.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Hardcover)
As I was updating my reading progress at 100% on goodreads I could only just write 'I'm finished with The Good Girl: Holy Smoke!!! Who knew!!!' Literally they were the only words I could find to explain my feelings, how in awe I was at such a story.

The Good Girl is a story about Mia, the daughter of a superior Judge who is suddenly being watched, followed and then kidnapped by a man known as 'Owen'. Initially she's meant to be delivered to someone who wants to use her for ransom but Owen has other thoughts and ends up taking her to a cabin in the woods and holds Mia captive to keep her safe. Her arrogant father seems to think she's off being irresponsible yet her mother is devastated and worried about her missing daughter.

But don't let it fool you... it's not what it seems...

Wrote from the perspective of mainly three but four different characters who are so complex and desperate they have so much in common but are so drastically unique in themselves. We see the characters before and then again after and we see how the past shapes their present and eventually their future and we see how in such a short amount of time their lives change just like that!

I found I was drawn in by the avid descriptions setting the scene enabling me to picture myself right there at every moment watching... from the sideline. I understood and could sympathise with the two main characters as their lives are revealed sharing with us their struggles, woes and deepest fears from within.

One great page after another I was sucked in bit by bit and devoured the book in such a short space of time, how could I have put it down? Such an intense novel that keeps the readers guessing and thinking... even after the book is finished!

I can't wait for the next novel by this fabulous Author!!!

Thank-you to NetGalley and Harlequin Mira for a kindle copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 19 Nov. 2014
I thought this book was absolutely fantastic. Though it has a slow pace, it's needed to keep up with all the past and present factors thrown at you from different character's perspectives and nothing is what it seems. Kubica draws you in and keeps you guessing right up to the end and you feel real empathy for the character's and their plights. Raw emotions and constant twists and turns kept me glued to the end. I am looking forward to reading future work from Mary Kubica if this is how good her debut novel is. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars OMG- i didn't see that... at the end.., 25 July 2014

Quite a lot of the reviews I have read all compare this book to Gone Girl, as I haven't read Gone Girl yet I really can't say if they are similar or not.

What I can say is this book was really well written, and I can not believe this book is a debut.
If this is the authors first book then I guess we are in for some real treats in the future. I can really see this book flying off the shelve, and rushing its way up the book charts.

The book is told from various aspects The chapters go from past to present, before and after the event. And took me a little to get my head around, but once I did i really enjoyed it.

The story revolves around Mia who has been kidnapped. The kidnapper - Colin. The Detective - Gabe and Mia's Mother Eve.
I don't want to go into to many details as it really would give to much of the story away. But a very enjoyable book with a OMG- i didn't see that... at the end.What a twist. I have just re read the last 2 chapters to make sure I had got it right... WOW
I received an ARC of this book. the file i was sent was just terrible, I started reading the book and had to stop at 15% as i didnt have a clue what was what, there was no chapters everything just continued and It took me ages to realise it had changed perspective and was on another part of the story,
Luckily i managed to get a corrected copy and started the book again. I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars The line between good and bad becomes blurred in this superb psychological thriller, 8 July 2014
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I think this book might just make a bit of a buzz. It is extraordinary in a sense that the pace is comfortable and it works, despite the upsetting scenario and the end is just, well I let's say I wasn't expecting it at all.

The chapters go from past to present, before and after the event and told by multiple characters. This gives the story an almost Dolby surround effect in literary visuals.

The reader wanders through the chapters from the mother to the victim, from the police and then to the perpetrator. Images, events, emotions and realizations

It sucks you in, grinds you slowly through the emotional cogs and spits you out quite unsettled at the very end.

It will be excruciatingly hard not to let any spoilers creep in and yet I do like to get down to the nitty-gritty when thinking back on a read, but other readers deserve to experience that specific element of surprise Kubica has incorporated into the story. It is the equivalent to being smacked over the head with a cricket bat, after riding a roller coaster.

Is the bad guy a good guy? The lines often become blurred in kidnapping cases, and victims held for a long period of time can suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. They can become attached to their only lifeline in a way that is incomprehensible to outsiders.

One of the other key points in the book is the opinions of the parents, the mother's instinct about her child and the father's indifference towards her. Is it indifference or just a recognition and acknowledgement of character, based on past events? Are all her mistakes bound to be set in stone and determine how he perceives his daughter?

A bad penny with a penchant for bad decisions and destined to disappoint? Perhaps that is why one parent doesn't seem to care as much as they should, whilst the other wilts away with worry. Does her father think her past is indicative of her true nature? How very sad to be judged on the difficult teenage years with no possibility of redemption.

The author takes her time drawing a complex relationship between the victim and the kidnapper, at the same time the reader gets a close uncomfortable look behind the doors of her family life.

This was an invigorating read and one I highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Harlequin UK & MIRA UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of suspense, 19 Feb. 2015
Written in away that makes you hungry to know what happened to Mia. Got to the end of the sampler and was upset to have to wait for the book to come out in August.

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realise it was only the beginning of the book, 14 Mar. 2015
I really enjoyed this sampler, even though I hadn't realised it was only the beginning of the book. Great read though.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... have now downloaded it hooe the rest is as good as the, 19 Oct. 2014
The sample made me want to read the book so I have now downloaded it hooe the rest is as good as the samplei

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (MP3 CD)
Great thriller with a brilliant twist at the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›