5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 17 July 2014
richie rich (london,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turning My Back on the Premier League (Kindle Edition)
Having become disillusioned with the premier league over the last two years 'turning my back on the premier league' was a pertinent read. I think when selecting our football team, like most things, we are merely following a fashion. Granted the premier league does consist of the most talented individuals plying their trade in England, but I feel uneasy watching PL matches because my soul feels compromised. I know this seems a little dramatic but the ticket prices, ridiculous wages, footballers on pedestals.... It all seems like insanity to me. Anyway rant over, you need to purchase this book. The author's new found passion for the football league is infectious and I predict that he may convert people from premier league 'customers' to football league 'supporters'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Equivalent of a Literary Pint, 3 July 2014
I've had mine since pre-order and have read it once already whilst still being obsessed by the stats chapter at the back! This book has the perfect football voice and speaks to the real fan. Price isn't cat calling about the perils of the Premier League, but is just giving an honest look at what football has become. It's like having a pint with your best mate and hearing about a 'wicked new local team' he's just started following, so you decide to go along with him and find you happen to rediscover what you originally loved about football.

Absolute credit to the author and I can't recommend this book highly enough, especially during World Cup season or pre-season this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for any genuine fan of lower league real football., 11 July 2014
Mr. M. N. Powis "daggers999" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turning My Back on the Premier League (Kindle Edition)
After being a Daggers fan for over 40 years I am so pleased Lee choice to "turn his back" and choose the Daggers .Whatever team you support, if you support lower league football ,you will relate to tales of brief moments of skill , goalkeeping disasters comedy moments and pies with not a prawn in sight. A great read for any long suffering supporter where three points are prayed for and not simply assumed.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's more to football than Premier League, 20 Sept. 2014
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After enduring decades of football in the lower leagues a few years ago my team, Bradford City, finally made it to the Premier League. Our stay there only lasted two seasons but that was quite enough for me. It was an experience that I will always remember but I didn’t particular enjoy the football as we were hopelessly out of our depth and each match was a battle against adversity. It soon became clear there was no way that a team like Bradford City could compete with the established Premiership clubs and the financial clout that they carried. As it turned out City were soon relegated so unlike Lee Price, the author of this book, we didn’t turn our back on the Premier League - the Premier League turned its back on us. Despite this, I can empathise with the point Lee Price is trying to make; some people may deride my choice of football club but Bradford City are MY football club, and as a supporter I feel as though I am very much a PART of the club, a feeling I doubt that supporters of Manchester United, Arsenal etc will ever have. Why should the players care about the supporters? They earn more in a week than most supporters earn in two or three years. Why should the club care about the supporters? They probably earn more from TV broadcasting rights than they earn from gate receipts. Lee Price was a Manchester United supporter that, on feeling increasingly alienated from the club, decided to instead follow his local team, Dagenham & Redbridge, perpetual strugglers in League Two, three leagues down from Manchester United. In this book he explains that whilst his riches to rags club switch was a real eye-opener for him it was a switch that totally paid off as by attending their matches he was soon able to feel a greater affinity to the club than he was ever able to do at Old Trafford.

With Turning my back on the Premier League Lee Price has produced a book that really gets to the heart of the joys of supporting a “smaller” football club. Written as a month by month account he compares Dagenham & Redbridge’s 2013-14 season to Manchester United’s, a season that, in finishing ninth, was adjudged to be a good one for Dagenham whereas United’s seventh place was widely seen to be a disaster, and cost manager David Moyes his job after just ten months in charge. As well as this, he includes sections which contrast the life styles of the players at both ends of the football spectrum and about the status of both sets of the supporters too.

This is both an informative and enjoyable book. With any luck, anybody who reads it will understand why that whilst I was watching Bradford City play Spurs or Everton I would be fondly remembering past encounters with Rochdale and Stockport County.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for football fans, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Turning My Back on the Premier League (Kindle Edition)
An informative insight between two club's and their trials and tribulations during one season and the comparison between being a fan for a Premier football and a League football club. The author presents as, initially not sure to what he is getting into with Daggers to having awe and respect for a small team struggling to stay afloat both in terms of staying in League two, staying to their roots and financially. Along the way, already miffed with Man U, he finds himself more and more cynical towards the club, their attitude and their ploy to make money out of the everyday fan. It's a homage to all the fans whom support the lower leagues through thick and thin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this book for my husband and he absolutely loved it!, 5 July 2014
Bought this book for my husband and he absolutely loved it!! He has been recommending it to all his friends...high praise indeed!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Turning My Back on the Premier League (Kindle Edition)
A slightly confused book for me, this one. The basic premise is extremely interesting: a 'plastic Manc' (in the author's own words) becomes disillusioned with the increasing excesses and greed of the top flight and decides instead to follow his local fourth division side. That was enough to hook me in. Sadly, however, Price seems incapable of putting United on the shelf and concentrating on Dagenham, which is where all the colour to the book can be found.

Each chapter breaks down a month in the season, but is then sub-divided into half on United and half on the Daggers. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not interested in United. If I wanted a re-run of Moyes's ill-fated time in charge, there are plenty of places to find it. I understand the need for some scene-setting comparison but that could have been done early on and then into the anecdotes of life following a bottom-tier side.

And there is some gold in here. Tales of his first match at Brentford, of the friendships he made and the banter, and - my favourite - the story of standing alone, soaked through on a wind and rain-lashed terrace while everyone else dashed for cover, his crazy defiance rewarded by a thrilling three-goal comeback. I enjoyed the stories about the players and there are some really insightful interviews.

This is unnecessarily competing for space, though, the whole way through with paragraph after paragraph after paragraph about Rooney, Van Persie, Moyes, United fans, United games, etc. The monthly comparisons just aren't necessary and I found my concentration waning with every one. It started to read more and more like a United fan from north of London who began trying to convince himself he didn't care anymore, and couldn't quite manage it. There are some proofreading issues too, although that's not the author's fault.

All in all, a great idea that doesn't quite work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 1 July 2014
Drew "Drew" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
A insightful read. Would make a perfect present for any football fanatic! 10/10 have recommended to all my friends and family

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, timely assessment of the state of football - ..., 9 July 2014
A brilliant, timely assessment of the state of football - done lovingly and incisively. The author isn't some bitter Premier League naysayer, rather a passionate fan worried about his beloved game. Compelling storytelling meets a compulsive narrative. A must-read for anyone with an affinity for the sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read!, 17 July 2014
Very enjoyable read - a good insight to top football and the lower league football, interesting to see a comparison of the two teams along the journey. Great to see the authors attachment grow towards Dagenham. I would definitely recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›