5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.
Published 1 month ago by Shamfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seemed!!
Thought this book was about the m embers of the team and staff. Instead it was statistics and comments from news papers. Returned it to Amazon as it was not worth the money.
Published 2 months ago by Mrs A Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally., 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: They Dared To Dream: How Rodgers' Liverpool Went So Close (Kindle Edition)
It has been incredibly difficult, for us Man United fans, to come to terms with our own team's dramatic and comprehensive demise into insignificance over the past year. I personally have ripped up three club bedspreads in fits of rage, and came very close after the Leicester defeat to tearing down my (fairly new) 'Red Devils' curtains. But receipt of this book has helped salve that pain; reading, and then re-reading, this every day compliments wonderfully my regimen of watching Liverpool's every match, allowing me to re-gain a sense of purpose and direction.
Thank you, Paul.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Liverpool Football Club experience encapsulated in literary form., 8 July 2014
"Football? Bloody hell!", as Bill Shankly once said.

By the final chapter of this book I was kneeling on the floor of my living room, floods of tears pattering onto my replica kit, wailing like a hysterical gibbon. My dogs, Rushie and Aldo, wailed in solidarity with me. They understood; my wife didn't. I felled her with a right hook.

Imagine if all you ever wanted was a carrot cake, and then, after 25 years without one, you see your most loyal friend walking towards your house smiling, carrying a carrot cake with your name on it. As he reaches your drive, he tumbles calamitously into a ditch. You rush out to find him writhing in agony amongst a cakey-muddy mess, a hungry raven pecking at his flesh. That is how we Liverpool fans feel about the 13/14 season (the raven is Tony Pulis, by the way).

This book is not just some cynical cash-in to make money out of Irish people. Paul Tomkins has truly encapsulated the modern-day Liverpool Football Club experience in literary form: the misty-eyed sentimentality, the endless self-mythologizing and, above all, the abject, humiliating failure. YNWA.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seemed!!, 25 Sep 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars We go again,,,Brenny and the Warriors, 22 July 2014
We go again...Brenny and the warriors

I can remember it like it was yesterday. There had been a tremendous build up in the weeks before. Brenny and Stevie G had decided it would be a good idea for the warriors to arrive for the last home games in a team bus. They were receiving a tremendous reception at each triumphal procession, all the followers in full kit with their scarves and Norwegian flags (five times, five times) welcoming them. The premier league winners 13/14 T- shirts were even outselling the `five times' ones. I knew all this because I had been following it on sky sports with Carra and Tommo.
There is a bitter and his missus who live in the flat next to Mums. He has been very quiet the last few weeks, but giving me a strange looking smile when I see him. Of course every other weekend he is at the match with the other bitters, so leaving me in peace enjoying sky sports every weekend. Sometimes I try to listen to him and his missus through the wall, but have to be careful in case Mum catches me.
Anyway, the big weekend arrived. I had been looking forward to it all week, could not sleep. Had to make sure I did all the jobs Mum asked me to do, so she would wash my full kit and scarf ready for the big game. Some of my online friends say at forty years of age I should have my own place, but Mum only asks for a tenner of my incapacity benefit each week to cover everything.
The big day finally arrived. Was up early as I could not sleep. Managed to listen in to next door, good job I hadn't put my shorts on but will need to hide my pyjama bottoms from Mum.
Put sky sports on for the build-up. Just after lunch I put my full kit on, even shin pads and boots. Both scarves ready, kissed the badge five times. On sky sports there was Carra, Tommo, Lawro, Hanno. They then kept showing interviews with Brenny and Stevie G, who had come up with another great idea. They said that the warriors were going to do it for the '96 in the sky'. I turned over when they showed Morrinio.
At last, the warriors emerged from the tunnel. Not sure why, but I always get a strange sensation in my shorts. Spoke to Mum about it, but she just said I would grow out of it. The Sky cameras then zoomed in on some of the old warriors in the crowd. I spotted King Kenny, Rushie, Aldo, Barnso, Hanno, Lawro. Mr Henry was also there to watch his EPL British soccer franchise.

The game kicked off, and Chelski were not interested. We were murdering them (don't mention Heysel), but could not score. Stevie G was brilliant; he had given a rousing speech at the last game, telling everyone that this does not slip now. Some time in the second half, I am sure someone fouled Stevie G, and he slipped up, with Ba getting the ball and scoring. Stevie G must have been fouled as it is never his fault, but sky would not show the proper replay to prove it. Anyway, I felt sure Brenny would sort things out. I could not believe it when they scored again, clearly offside. Everyone is against us; we have not even had a penalty for at least three games.
I screamed and banged my head against the wall. Mum shouted up to me to stop it, saying it always seems to end like this every year. She is wrong because she usually threatens to not buy me the new full kit for Christmas when I scream and cry, and this season it is much later!
Anyway, I kissed my badge again five times and wiped away the tears. Brenny came on to be interviewed by sky. He said we have to believe, and will put ten past Palace next game.
We were 3-0 up and heading for 10, I had messed the front of my shorts again without realising it. Mum will kill me. The next thing, it was 3-3. Louis and Stevie G were crying, Brennies bottom lip was going. I am sure I heard laughing from the bitter next door.
Anyway, next year will be our year. As long as the refs are fair with us, they only gave us 14 penalties last season.
Five times, five times.

`Full Kit' Juan Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Class and dignity YNWA, 8 July 2014
Brendan Rodgers treated me to the biggest emotional rollercoaster on the planet, not even Alton Towers could reach its peaks, lows and loop de loops.This book brings it all back.

I remember the Chelsea game like it was yesterday. Me, me auld fella, titch and spanners all donned our full warrior kits, tied our 5 times flags around our necks like makeshift capes and marched for the Shankly gates. We bought our CHAMPIONS 13/14 t-shirts outside, made our way onto the kop and laughed as the Chelsea team was read out. During our mirth, I turned to my brethren and told them there was no way Chelsea were going to score today, the only way they will is if Gerrard falls flat on his face and gives them the ball, right in front of all of us. And he would not let it slip. We all shed tears of laughter.

That evening, after much arguing, binning of champions shirts, seething, mild violence and tears, I went for a walk. Cape still flapping behind me like a kingly robe, kit still held snug to my flesh, looking like a Sports Direct Superman..I still held hope. Crystal Palace would be blitzed. Sure, it was dark. Sure, I was walking down the hard shoulder of the M57 getting beeped. But not as sure as I was about our destiny. Suarez had been persecuted for nothing, now it was time for vengeance.

As our third went in at Selhurst Park I turned to Spanners and held him. "You were right!" he cried, "Its going to be a massacre!" I put my arm around my auld fella and we laughed, "all our defenders would have to switch off now for Palace to get a chance and they'll be lucky to get one, never mind three!" I bellowed.

That evening, I walked back to the train station alone. Legs tired from running. Cape tattered and torn from where Titch and Spanners had pulled at it. Friendships lost forever. Even me auld fella had gone home with them. But this book reminded me of what I once had, our season might have been a failure in some eyes. But not mine. We go again. YNWA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Sep 2014
A fun insight into a bygone age before professionalism. Some eye-opening anecdotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book gives hope to all losers., 16 July 2014
A. Bozorgi (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a Barnet FC fan, I've been accustomed to never winning anything.

But this book is marvellous, this book performs a miracle but making it "cool" to not win anything.

Liverpool didn't win anything despite spending £154 million on transfers across the past 3 seasons (according to transferleague.co.uk)....
But this book portrays them as a team of "dreamers" who went so close.

I love it, it gives me hope that one day Barnet can spend over a hundred and fifty million pounds and still not win anything.
I can only dream

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst £4. 22 that I ever spent, 21 Sep 2014
Worst £4.22 that I ever spent. A book about not winning?

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 23 Sep 2014
Slippy G said it is a pile of banana skins

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 30 July 2014
This made me laugh, and laugh and laugh.... fantastic read