5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Feeder Fans, 15 Aug 2014
This is a superb album and follows the brilliant Feeder album Generation Freakshow, which saw them back to their best. The sound is very different in places - half the songs could have made it onto a typical Feeder record, while the rest of the songs are acoustic affairs. The melodies and choruses are very catchy throughout though.

The beautiful album opener is a bit like Nick Drake with an opening reminiscent of Jose Gonzalez's version of Heartbeats. It sounds like it belongs to a movie scene, where someone is on a boat/train and leaving somewhere - "let's pack our bags so we can sail away, sail away....when we go back we can tell our friends what we have seen".

Hitori is a great song and is a bit more uptempo in sound, but some of the lyrics are quite melancholic eg "Sorrow will find me wherever I go". There's a catchy chorus that goes "Never gonna make it...never gonna get there alone...love is not the enemy". I do wonder if this is a song about Grant's Japanese wife, as Hitori is the Japanse word for "alone" (thanks Wikipedia!) and the song hints at long-distance relationship issues eg "when there's miles between us, stop running, let's keep this love alive".

Tall Trees is another slower song with some piano on it. It's a real grower - another potential "movie scene" moment. The next song Robots is a real belter, with a great looping riff to open it. It a real uptempo song and one of the album's highlights, even though I'm not totally sure what it's about. It seems to be related to human emotions and hope and it could easily be a Feeder song.

Vampires starts with a Just The Way I'm Feeling sound and has a catchy chorus "why you so sad, when you're looking so fine". The song is fairly acoustic but quite uptempo and Grant has said that it is about an imaginary person called Maria, who is in with the wrong crowd in the city. Good Fortune Lies Ahead is a slower acoustic number and is pleasant enough, if not particularly memorable, it could be the weak point fo the album.

Joan Of Arc sounds like Nick Cave singing "It's been pouring for days" and is very dark. Grant sings "So I went back to tell the tale, choking on my own betrayal and I hear voices from the grave". Maybe singing about his lost friend Jon Lee, but not sure what the betrayal could be or what he is singing about when he sings "I made a mistake". A superb song and the chorus has shades of Tom Petty. Hope is another great uptempo number that sounds like a Feeder song.

Isolation begins with an "It's the final showdown" line and mentions "a lonely dark place where love can turn to hate". It's got a Feeder chorus with Grant singing "come on, come on, come on, we'll get through this, a little more give and a little less take". It seems to be about relationship ups and downs again - "biting on tongues while we walk away" suggests a relationship on the rocks but "I think we'll make it" suggests all may not be lost. It's another highlight on the album.

On Broken Resolutions, Grant sings about someone feeling sorry for himself and it goes into more relationship issues. The chorus reminds me of Yesterday Went To Soon. Next up is the album's standout track Time Stood Still - a real summer track - and if it had been released by someone 20 years younger, it would no doubt hit the top 10. It's got a chorus that you'll feel like you've heard before somewhere, but you can't quite put your finger on what other song it sounds like.

Father To Son is Grant singing to his little boy about moments spent with him that he wishes could last forever. "The chemistry has changed" could be about his son simply growing older and less dependent or could be related to time spent apart when away touring etc. It's a solid enough song and this track is missing from the basic 13-track CD, along with Counting Steps, which is an acoustic number with an opening reminiscent of High. Again it's a song about relationships "I wanna spend this life with you, there's nothing I would rather do". Those 2 songs are good, but maybe not as good as the rest of the album, I can see why they didn't make the basic version, but I still like them.

Silent In Space is another superb tune that could have been on a Feeder album and seems to be questioning why we're all here in this universe " a new universe will come, will all this be forgotten". The album ends with another Nick Drake sounding acoustic song Safe In Place that is kind of like the partner to Soul Mates in which the lines "I live for every beat of your heart", "I'm riding high on devotion" and "our souls belong together" can surely only be Grant declaring his love for his wife despite any ups and downs that they might have had over the years.

This album is a must for any Feeder fan, especially if you like the albums "Comfort In Sound" and "Silent Cry". Half the album is "classic Feeder" and the other half is Grant singing heartfelt acoustic songs about relationships, family and friends. This should be a number 1 album, but it will probably scrape into the top 20, as there's no justice. The artwork is all created by Grant's 9 year old daughter.

PS I have one gripe, and it's a gripe with Amazon, not the product. I bought the 15 track signed CD version, but the Autorip MP3 facility only gave me 13 tracks, so I had to "get" the other 2 tracks "Father To Son" and "Counting Steps" from Grant's VEVO youtube account. I didn't want to wait for the CD to arrive and then rip the 2 extra tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeder bites back !, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Yorktown Heights (Audio CD)
Amazing crafted album from a very talented guy, this will be the soundtrack to my Summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars GN, 12 Aug 2014
love all the tracks- especially Hitori,Joan of Arc and Soul mates-artwork is really cool

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a nice stripped back sound that suits Grants voice perfectly, 13 Aug 2014
Eagerly awaited this album since it was announced earlier this year. It has a nice stripped back sound that suits Grants voice perfectly, but still has a hint of Feeder to keep the band's fans happy. Stand out track for me is Time Stood Still :-D

5.0 out of 5 stars ... been a fan of Feeder and Grant has not disappointed with his solo material, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Yorktown Heights (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
Also been a fan of Feeder and Grant has not disappointed with his solo material....absolutely love the album :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now at long last Grant has crafted an amazing solo album filled with great songs, 10 Sep 2014
Been a Feeder fan since around 1997 when I first heard the Polythene album that my son had.
Now at long last Grant has crafted an amazing solo album filled with great songs, Robots in particular grabbed me immediately.
Can't wait to see him live in October!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, 9 Sep 2014
Best album I've listened to in years ,heartfelt superb songs ,wonderful tyrics and just about everything you'd expect from the Feeder frontman

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Feeder and Grants songs, 20 Aug 2014
Love Feeder and Grants songs . This a thing of beauty , songs of love and sadness, Mr Nicholas' playing is great , just a triumph really

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album feeder with a touch of acoustic best tracks ..., 19 Aug 2014
Great album feeder with a touch of acoustic best tracks for me are good fortune lies ahead, joan of arc, time stood still.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CD. Playing it all the time and have ..., 7 Sep 2014
Brilliant CD. Playing it all the time and have booked tickets to see Grant live. Buy it you'll love it!

Yorktown Heights (Deluxe)