on 1 January 2015
Very good value laptop which looks great (I bought the red one) and runs adequately fast and nicely quiet. But be warned, at the time of writing this review the Amazon web site says that the CPU (central processor) in the Blue and Grey colours are SLOWER than the CPU in the red and black models. ie:

Red and black model:
Intel Core i3-4030U 1.9GHz

Grey and blue models:
Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz

Please mark this review as helpful to help make other customers aware of this difference?

Back to the red laptop, I do have concerns about the pre-installed software/image. There is an awful to of Acer software that you may not want. Mine also came with an Acer toolbar in the browser and something called Trovi (a browser hijacker) was also loaded into the browser which cannot easily be removed. I read that this may be linked to the Acer toolbar. Trovi is a nasty form of adware/malware. I had to reset the browser to its original settings to get rid of the unwanted additions. I also paid for a copy of Norton Anti Virus and got a trial copy of Malwarebytes. I ran full scans with both of these tools and they reported and deleted a number of unwanted potentially malicious programs. Nice laptop, shame about the software image used. If you get this laptop it is well worth doing a full scan with some decent anti virus and anti-malware software on receipt. It does come with a trial version of Antivirus software which I personally do not think was very good.
55 comments|218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2014
I have an core i7 dell pc and this is just as good. starts up at the same time while also being able to multi task easily aswell, along with a huge battery length, i can be on for 5-6 hours full charge multitasking heavy which compared to past laptops which lasted only 3-4 therefore great for University.
Only bad thing about it is the material it is made from which seems to be a flexible plastic but seems durable enough and can carry around quite well. wish it was made from something more durable but for the price of an core i3, 8g ram and 1tb hhd i can not complain especially from an established brand as Acer. Does a great job as for the 5 stars.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
Really liked the responsiveness of this computer. Found it fairly easy to adapt to after having used a Mac for about five years. Switch to this format because that's what I use at work. Had to return it as there was no activation code/disc when it was delivered, but would have been keen to keep it.
on 14 April 2015
After many, many hours spent trawling the web for laptop reviews and prices I was lucky to come across this. Impressive specs for the fairly cheap price and a very sleek feel to the machine. I have been using it for a week and I do thoroughly recommend this as a purchase yet there are a couple of issues that prevent it from getting the full 5 stars;
1. the mouse, although generally very responsive, can be a bit awkward as there are no separate left and right buttons which can result in 'mis-clicks'
2. Another issue with the mouse is that if the computer is left in sleep mode for 1+ hours then for some reason the built in scroll feature stops working and the sensitivity drops to a fairly sluggish setting. To my knowledge this is only fixed by a quick restart which can occasionally cause pain. This may be an issue isolated to my laptop in particular
3. the computer came loaded with quite a lot of crapware, many programs that are completely unnecessary and will be unwelcome to the overwhelming majority of users, however with a few hours of grafting these can be uninstalled and deleted as appropriate (once you get your head around the rage-inducing windows 8

all in all though, if you've not got the budget to spend a fortune on a laptop I would recommend this, it's fast and responsive with the i3 chip and 8gb of ram and although lacking a discrete graphics card it seems to be able to play a lot of recent games.
on 1 December 2014
This is such a bargain! cant believe what you get for your money, great processor, lovely screen and sound quality. Windows 8 is so easy to use as well, LOVE IT!
on 25 April 2015
hard drive broke after a couple of months. not good enough after market care from acer, wanted me to send it back at my own cost and would not guarantee to replace or repair. very disappointed with both the quality of the laptop or the aftercare. avoid
on 13 March 2015
The mouse pad didn't work. After a number of attempted fixes, I sent it back. It may have just been a badly performing model though.
on 27 May 2015
Easy to use, speedy, sturdy, good screen quality. Im happy with the purchase.
on 31 May 2015
The keyboard of this laptop is the cause of this poor review. In particular it is the space bar that causes the trouble. My wife is a fluent two hands typist who has many emails to write in an average day but the spacebar is very intermittent in its action. Unless it is struck heavily and centrally it fails to register a space. This means that everything she types needs many corrections to insert spaces on every line. I notice from the web that this is a common complaint with this model. We don't know what to do about this since although we could get a replacement from amazon it would probably have the same fault. Our previous laptop was also an Acer Aspire of some 5 years ago but its keyboard didn't have this problem.
on 18 March 2016
Buyer beware,the laptop comes with Mcfee Security which I do not like ( prefer Norton) installed as part of the package.My twelve months of use is up and I am bombarded with reminders from Mcfee to renew which I keep declining.Just got my C.C. statement and they have charged £89.99p to my account without my permission saying I ticked a box for automatic renewal.I have never had any dealings with them,the only way they could get my C.C. number is from Amazon.This to me is another P.P.I scandal and I am seeking legal advice.To make matters worse Mcfee have just advertised their product for £15.00p on the t.v.