5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait
Published 5 months ago by Paul B

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Concept that is "Nearly" there 3.5 Out of 5
Published 5 months ago by C. Jose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Concept that is "Nearly" there 3.5 Out of 5, 10 July 2014
C. Jose "CJv2" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
As a kid I used to watch Knight Rider and marvel in awe at how Michael Knight would talk to his watch to get his car to come to his aid and perform a whole manner of tricks, it seems Google was a fan of Knight Rider as well, soon enough you'll be able to talk to your watch and call your own self (actually missed the s off original and it said "Elf" driving car, which actually sounds much more fun) driving car to your aid.

The LG G Watch is the first (well joint first along with the Samsung) in a new line of Android Wearables. This, apparently, is the dawning of a new wearable era. Google is putting a lot of weight behind the "Android Wear" platform, whether that makes it a success or not remains to be seen.

Before I start on this long and slightly rambling review I want to insert a caveat / disclaimer here.

Here we go.

------------------------------
Wearables - What's the point.
------------------------------
I hear this a lot, mainly from my wife. So I want to address the elephant in the room "Why do I need a watch that tells me the things that are happening on my phone, when I can just look at my phone"

The answer is simple. You don't. That is you don't unless you just want to make your life a tiny bit easier and more productive. I work in an office, I commute to work and walk to the station. The vast majority of the time my phone is in my pocket or buried in my bag. I understand what people say "If my phone buzzes I just get it out of my pocket" Yes, there is that, but how much easier is it to just look at your wrist, and then make a judgement on whether or not the notification you have just got through is worth you delving about for. How much easier is it to just look at who's calling and decide you don't need to answer. To look at your watch and see it's just another spam email from a high street retailer.

An example, the other day I was in a meeting about 10 desks away from where I sit, I hadn't put my phone on silent and our office is pretty quiet. The phone rang, loudly, everyone looked round. Straight away I could see on my wrist it was my wife ringing, within two seconds I had swiped the call away and dismissed it and sent it to voicemail. Yes this is geeky, yes this is lazy, but this is also really really bloody handy. People used to say "why do i need a remote control for the TV, its right there" It' a similar sort of thing. I can control my music, see my latest appointment, and check on the latest football score, all without taking my phone out of my bag.

The truth is the people who mock wearables and dismiss them as "gimmicks" and "pointless" are people who haven't owned them or used them. Honestly after a day of owning my pebble smartwatch I knew I wouldn't be able to live without it, that still holds true to this day.

So before buying something like this I suggest you give it some thought, don't be so quick to dismiss it as a waste of time, after all, even if it's connected to your phone it still tells the time the same as any other watch and we all know how much some watches cost these days.

Anyway, enough of me getting on my high horse....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Design and Hardware 3.5 out of 5 - Far more premium than you'd expect
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not ugly, in fact it's far more attractive and premium feeling in real life than it appears in the pictures. I genuinely believed it would be light and "plasticky" it's not, it's much more weighty than I expected. As someone who owns a pebble, this does have a more classy look about it, the heft on your wrist isn't as bad as you'd feel, in fact it's quite reassuring.

There's no buttons on this thing whatsoever, none, everything is done by tapping away on the screen itself or actually "Talking to the watch" whilst this is great, I miss a physical button to turn the thing on and off, this is actually done by putting the watch itself onto the included charging dock. I think this might be the first time in about 10 years i've actually had to read a user guide on a "Gadget" I genuinely had no idea how to turn this on.

The strap is rubber (And on the black edition not black, more a greyish colour), and comfortable, the actual size of the thing, whilst big is not over bearing, at least not in this day of oversized watches. I personally don't have massive arms and it doesn't swamp me. A woman however, this might look a bit "much" (Nothing against you ladies out there, just you know, you have much prettier dainty arms than us fellas !!)

The watch will give you a subtle vibration when you have a notification, when i say subtle I mean subtle. Compared to the pebble it's puny, and a lot of the time I found i'd missed notifications because I hadn't felt it vibrate on my wrist. I assume this is done for battery life purposes and is a necessary evil, whilst I understand it, it really is a giant pain in the a*se that it's not a bit more powerful.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Screen 3 out of 5 - Return of the Pixel and a bit like Dracula
--------------------------------------------------------------
These wearable are all about the screen, after all not are you just going to be looking at it as you would a normal "dumb" watch you're going to be interacting with it, a lot.

Most modern smart phone owners have been spoiled by "Retina" or pixel less displays for a few years now, the LG G watch however brings back the return of the visible pixel. Whilst it's not awful, and it's not always noticeable, it almost seems a bit weird to actually see visible pixels again. It's not so bad it puts you off, but at some junctures it just sets you back a bit, some screen look beautiful, others (i.e. a contact photo) can just make the watch look a bit cheap.

Colours are lovely but a little bit washed out, get the general impression though that this is a battery life issue. Well I mean an attempt to not blitz the battery life.

Google has apparently stopped vendors putting their own skin on these smart watches, which I personally think is fantastic as many modern skins are just plain ugly and all over the place (Looking at you here Samsung and Touchwiz)
Icons are big and easy to hit, the screen itself is responsive, it's not quite as responsive as a smartphone, there will be times when you find yourself having to retouch / swipe at the screen, but overall it's close enough.

The only thing Google allow the vendors to change is the watch faces that come with the watch and the LG comes loaded with plenty of funky watch faces to choose from, I went for the standard black analogue one which to be fair looks really nice and classy. There's a few lovely 70's disco style ones as well, being a grown up (of sorts) I didn't feel i'd be able to pull this off at the office, maybe I'll save these for the weekends when I'm trying to be hip and down with the kids in Hoxton

The last thing I wanna say on this, and it's a biggie is direct sunlight. This really could be nicknamed dracula because of it's dislike of the sun. If you're in a bright sunny area, well, forget it, where as the pebble copes without an issue with this kind of problem because of it's e-ink screen, the LG struggles, you'll be cupping your hand over your watch in no time :( Be warned...

------------------------------------------------------------
OS - 3 Out of 5 - Lovely to look at but needs a bit of work
------------------------------------------------------------
If you're an Android user, a recent Android user, you're probably familiar with "Google Now" and the "Card" UI it uses. Android Wear not only uses information from Google Now but also uses it's card system to really good effect.

Cards are bright, nice to look at and containing the relevant information pertaining to that card. For example the weather card has a background picture of the sky and then the information about the weather on that particular card. Swipe left on the screen to see a 5 day forecast, or right to dismiss the card altogether. You can see how many cards you have within this card (less complicated than I'm making it sound) this is shown by a series of dots at the bottom. For example the weather card has three dots showing three possible option for this particular card. Dot One is the weather for the day, swipe left to get to the second "dot" to see the five day forecast and finally swipe over to dot three to get the option to open this app on your phone. It's not nearly as confusing as I've made it sound !!!!

Cards vary as you move throughout the day and also are based on your location. A standard selection of cards are such thing as

Your next calendar event
Steps taken for the day (this thing has a built in pedometer, i'll mention that later)
The weather
How far you are from home/work and the option to navigate !!!!

The thing really comes alive when you start getting emails, texts, phone calls etc.

For example when a mail pops up, if you have a picture of the contact who sent it this will flash up on the display along with a brief intro to the mail, to delve further into the mail just press on the mail itself. Once you're done with it feel free to swipe to the right to dismiss the notification altogether. This not only removes the notification from the watch but also the phone which is handy.

It's quite satisfying to be able to read the mail right there and then on the screen and then just dismiss it or archive it once you're done.

There's also an option, as there is with the text to send a reply, this is done via the microphone which is housed at the bottom of the watch. I'll talk about this a bit further down where I'll delve into the voice control/recognition aspects.

I do have issues however with some parts of the os. For example, contact photos on emails, facebook and texts all tend to look a bit blurry, however when an incoming call pops up the same cannot be said, it looks much sharper and clearer. Have no idea why this is but it is a bit annoying .

A lot of the cards on Google Now (For examples articles of interest) don't seem to pop up, which is a real shame as it would be lovely if this were the case (maybe there's a way but as of yet I haven't worked out how to make them appear)

The music control thing is nice, but the problem is there's no option to adjust the volume, which for me seems a massive oversight. One of the main problems with android (phones) is the fact that most of them don't work with a standard 3 button inline controller. Most modern headsets are manufactured with the iphone pin outs for this, which basically means middle button is fine, but the volume buttons don't work. Therefore if I wanted to change song I could do it from my headphones still, but not the volume, and it seems a shame that (At the moment) the watch doesn't let you do this (Time to pull your phone out of your pocket !!!!

--------------------------
Battery Life - 4 out of 5.
--------------------------
This is a toughie, do I rate this against the manufacturers specifications, do i mark it against a rival smartwatch (The Pebble for example, even though this would be grossly unfair) or do I mark it against a normal watch (seriously, what's the point)

I'm going to do it against what LG say it will last, they say a day and a half, 36 hours. To be fair, they come pretty close, the battery itself is okay.

A lot of people are moaning (And I suppose with some justification) about the short battery life. A day and a half, they say, really isn't enough in real life. What if I'm out, what if I go away for the weekend. They have a point if you do any of these you are going to have to take a charger, and ontop of that, the proprietary charging dock.

Yes this is a pain, but it's necessary, its just the way it is I'm afraid, until screens draw less power and batteries are made smaller and more powerful you're going to have to make this trade off. The charging dock itself is nice, a small square base that house the 5 pins required to make the connection between dock and watch It's magnetic so "draws" the watch in nicely. The dock itself is powered by a micro usb cable. Easy.

The way I look at the battery argument is this. How many people actually wear their watch (normal watch) to bed. Not many, pretty much everyone I know takes it off and puts it on the night stand. So therefore with that being the case, if you're going to do that you may as well be charging it anyway.

Maybe in the future they'll sling in some sort of kinetic charging, maybe they will manage to get a weeks worth of battery off a single charge (That is a fair amount I feel) in the meantime, as I said earlier you're just going to have to make that trade off.

Just for the record, I took my watch off charge this morning at 7am, wore it all day pretty much and checked it regularly. I had the screen set to off. Which means that it is off unless I tap on the screen to turn it on, or move my hand towards my face (as if I'm looking to tell the time, and believe me this doesn't work nearly as well as I'd like. By 5.30 pm I was down to 75% battery life. So nearly 11 hours used 25% of the battery, which to be fair is better than what they say it would be.

The next day I took the watch off charge the same time, only this time I left the display on all day (It dims when it's not in use) On nearly 11 hours use I was down to 67% battery, so the reality is you can leave it on all day (bonus) but if you really wanna save the battery life I suggest you turn the screen off.

All in all it's really not that bad, and for a change it's actually very close to what they claim out of the box which really makes a change.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Voice Recognition - 3 out of 5 - Dick Tracy Eat Your Heart Out.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I need to get this on record, this is my issue not anybody else's. I really don't like talking my phone. I do it occasionally, but I really struggle. I'm like a mumbling stuttering 13 year old trying to talk to the girl he fancies. I get my words mixed up, I feel under undue pressure, I basically crumble a little bit. Talking to your phone, or indeed this watch, is very much like talking to an answering machine back in the day. You know what you wanna say, but you struggle to get the words out in a timely or coherent fashion.

To get the watch to listen to you, you merely have to say the magic words "Ok Google". Once you've done this the screen changes and a small red "G" will appear in the top right and it's in listening mode, ready for you to fall over yourself like a plum trying to say "What's the weather like tomorrow"

Does it work. Yes, yes it does. Does it work well, erm, yeah, kind of. Although I was born in Essex my wife tells me I have a strong "East London" accent (Cheers Folks) now maybe it's that, or maybe it's the fact I'm not speaking normally and attempting to over pronounce my words that it doesn't always get what I say. I mean this could easily be more the fault of my upbringing than it is this voice recognition system.

The watch itself, where voice recognition is concerned does have "Some" limitations.

You can say the following to the watch and get a decent response back on the screen. Things like.

Ok google, Take a note - Don't be such an idiot when you've had too many beers
Ok google, Text my wife, please make sure there's a cup of tea ready for me when I get home !!
Ok google, Text my wife, I was only kidding please don't beat me up on my return
Ok google, How tall is Brad Pitt.
Ok, google, What's the weather like tomorrow

All of the above will work well, you'll get a card back on the screen prompting you where needed or giving you the answer required.

It does, as I said, have the odd limitation. For example if you ask it whether or not Brad Pitt has won an oscar the pretty card thing goes out the window and you're treated to 3 brief answers that link you to different web pages, problem is you then have to open each web page on your phone, so you're gonna have to pull that bad boy out at some point.

The truth is though the os is still very much in it's infancy, what it does at the moment it does well, yes it does have limitations, but I genuinely believe these are all things that can be ironed out quite easily.

----------
Conclusion.
----------
Are you still here ??

If so then here's the short part that you should just skip to anyway.

Pro's
Design is actually miles nicer than it looks in the pictures, still no Moto 360 though.
Battery life is pretty close to the claimed 36 hours
It is really handy (no pun intended) getting notifications through on your wrist is great
The OS is only ever going to get better with every day that passes and every app that becomes available
Screen is nice

Cons
No power button is a bit of a shame
Battery life isn't a patch on the pebble, then again the pebble doesn't have a full colour screen, will need a charge every night
Strap is a bit cheap, can be replaced though
If it's bright sunshine forget it, the screen will struggle
Vibration could be stronger
OS is still in it's infancy and a bit limited at the minute, some bugs need addressing.
Built in pedometer is a bit erratic to say the least, not nearly as accurate a fitbit.
Mine seems to lose connectivity at weird times and has crashed twice so far (in two days) for no apparent reason

Should I buy this watch :
This isn't a yes or no answer, this is a "Do I think it would benefit me" kinda answer. The truth is you don't need this watch, after all it's merely an extension of you phone and pretty useless without your phone. It all comes down to whether or not you want it, whether or not you think it would benefit you and your life.

Personally, and again this is just me I think I'd wait. If you want to go down the android wear platform then, well, the Moto 360 is the kiddie we're all waiting for.

Otherwise I think i'd wait for a price drop and also for the system to mature a bit before taking the plunge. If you're after something with a bit more battery life, you can't go too far wrong with the pebble which is also priced a fair bit cheaper than the LG G Watch....

Any question's i'll do my best to answer !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 9 July 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
Firstly, I did buy mine direct from Google and not Amazon. I've been waiting for a decent "smart watch" for a while now and did loads of research before taking the plunge for the LG. I didn't really take to the Samsung version and having the LG G3 smartphone I thought they'd work well together. Set up was easy. Place it in the magnetic charging dock and it immediately turns on and starts telling you what to do next. You have to download the Android Wear app from the Playstore on your phone and I had to update Google voice as well ( you will need Android 4.3 upward). It then installed the updates on the watch and hey presto, we're off and running. I charged mine for a couple of hours as I couldn't wait any longer. The strap is good in my opinion. I don't want anything blingy and this fits the bill. I may change it later but at the moment I'm quite happy with it as it's comfortable. There are several watch faces to choose from and the menu system is quite easy to use once you've navigated around a bit and had a play. The display dims after around 5 seconds but you don't have to touch the watch face to activate it again, just raise your wrist and turn it slightly and the display comes back to full brightness. I'm up at 6:30 and go to bed around 11:30 and to date I have about 25-30% battery remaining (this is with average to heavy use) so not bad at all really. The compatible apps are a little thin on the ground at the moment but that'll change as third party developers start pulling their finger out. It's quite handy to use as a lazy way to text someone or if you're in a hurry. All you say is "text Dave" for example and it'll ask you what you want to say and away it goes. The only criticism is that there's no option to edit the message before it goes so be careful. All in all I'm quite impressed. There will be people that moan that it doesn't do this and that but for me it does all that I need. Well done Google and LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 9 Aug 2014
R. Hyland "Rich" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
I gave up waiting for the Moto 360, looks great but may as well be a mythical device at this point.

Ended up buying the LG G Watch and I'm glad a I did. I had reservations about the square over round design but it's a very comfortable watch to wear. The strap is good quality and comfortable.

The charging dock is easy to use, and the watch just magnetically snaps into place.

Android Wear is pretty much the same on all devices so may not be worth a review here, can't wait for the official watch face SDK to be released though

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparative review of Android Wear, 17 July 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
If you're thinking about buying the LG G Watch, or any Android Wear watch for that matter, then you've probably also thought about buying one of the other smart watches. I've tried a few of them, so here's what I think... relatively. (Note: I bought the LG G Watch direct from Google, which is why it won't be shown as a verified purchase here).

An Android Wear watch is pretty much everything that the Pebble (Pebble (Black) - The e-paper watch for Android and iPhone) was or should have been: a notifier of phone events such as incoming emails and SMS texts, a remote music controller, and so on. Except that an Android Wear watch has a colour touchscreen, plus a microphone so that you can speak commands like "Ok Google, navigate to London". But you can't use an Android Wear watch as a companion for your iPhone, since the paired smartphone must run Android 4.3+.

As an Android-only smartwatch with a colour touchscreen, an Android Wear watch is very much like the Sony Smartwatch 2 (Sony Universal SmartWatch 2 SW2 with Bluetooth One Touch NFC for Smartphones with Android 4.0 - Black Silicone), except that Android Wear watches have voice input and Google Now-like information cards.

While you can initiate a telephone call from an Android Wear watch by speaking (for example) "Ok Google, call home", you can't converse via the smartwatch like you could with the original Samsung Galaxy Gear (Samsung SM-V700 Galaxy Gear Smart Watch - Jet Black). But like with the Sony SmartWatch 2, you can reject an incoming call with a canned response text message such as "Sorry, I'll call you back later".

Unlike the Omate Truesmart (Omate® Smart Watch Phone Smartwatches ARM Dual Core Cortex-A7 MediaTek MT6572 Touchscreen Curved Sapphire Glass Splashproof Android 4.2 8GBROM/1GBRAM/Bluetooth/WIFI/BT/GPS/USB 2.0) and similar smart watches, an Android Wear watch is not a fully-fledged standalone smartphone on your wrist. You must "pair" a Wear watch with an Android 4.3+ smartphone.

What the LG G Watch and other Android Wear watches really have going for them is the fact that they are based on Google's "open" platform for smartwatch app development. The success of a device like this is as much about the software (apps) and services (e.g. Google Now) ecosystem as it is about the device itself. We can expect many manufacturers to make Android Wear watches, and many software developers to create apps for them, which should assure greater longevity of these smart watches compared with their predecessors. Hence the four stars.

You don't get a manual with this kind of kit these days, but there is plenty of information on the web as well as The (Unofficial) Android Wear SmartWatch Book: Applicable to the LG G Watch, Samsung Gear Live, Motorola Moto 360, and other Android Wear watches to learn more before and after buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life's Good!, 29 Nov 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
I love this watch. It's so much more than the watch I had before. The range of watch faces means I can make it my own. I can change the strap easily. The voice Command is surprisingly workable. Notifications from my watch are really useful, and I feel a surge of pleasure every time it does what I want it to do. Granted that's not all the time, but I love it when it does!

I'm an avid geek with this watch. I used tasker to make it such that when I go to my local Costa my membership QR code appears as a notification automatically. No more fiddling with my phone. A flick of the wrist and the job is done. Arrive at my favorite car park? A notification pops up, offering to pay for my parking from my phone. "Yes please!" In under 2 seconds I've issued the command, and in 55 minutes it will buzz, letting me know it's time to go.

This is the future today. Out of the box it felt at home within a weekend. If you're willing to tinker the possibilities are really endless!
If you're a geek you'll love this!

3.0 out of 5 stars This device is only useful if you like me have a work where reaching ..., 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
This device is only useful if you like me have a work where reaching for your phone can be problematic. But then it is VERY good since it allows you to use many of the phone's features and information by just turning your wrist.

There have been two problems, one is that the screen is so sensitive that your jacket sleeve can activate it because it touches your arm too. Putting a screen protector on it has mostly solved that problem for me. The 2nd problem is that the screen is too weak to use out in the sunlight unless you use a clockface with really big bright numbers.

The apps you can install on it makes it a lot more useful, the use from G-wear initially is VERY limited and speaking to a watch to make it do things simply is not a useful option. Fortunately you can install a good launcher on it that enables you to activate all your apps or utilities by screen touch.

4.0 out of 5 stars It also tells the time, 30 Aug 2014
Dutchy "Dutchy" (Richmond, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
Nice watch with limited functionality. It displays who's calling the phone, incoming messages and alerts such as Rain Alarm.
Battery life is fine. I can eek out 2 days before recharging. I can ask what the temperature is and it will tell me. It will open apps
on the phone, as long as the phone isn't locked. I think that things will become really interesting 2 or 3 new models down the line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 1st gen Android Watch, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
Overall you can tell this is the start of the journey for Android Wear, as the functionality is somewhat limited at the moment.

This watch should be treated as a reference design, there is no style as such, but it does give a good platform to the Software.

My main concerns when getting this watch were Battery live, and readability of the screen. After having this watch for a while the battery easily last a full day, and just place it in the charger every night at bedtime. The charger itself is very well designed and the magnets ensure the watch seats correctly.

Readability of the screen is good in most cases, but in sunlight it is unreadable, unless you wake the screen. So overall it's not much different to a Mobile phone.

I was going to wait for the Moto 360, but am pleased I didn't, and will probably wait till Generation 3 or 4 Android Wear watches come along before looking again.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, but not quite there!, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
My first impressions of this smartwatch were good, but the more I have used it the more dissapiontment I have come across!
The main issue being battery life, I can't say iv even managed to get a days use out of it..which is disappointing as I have missed notifications thinking I haven't got any, only to find the watch had actually died.
And Although I like the idea of android wear I find its usability to be a bit limited and doesn't really produce a whole lot of use, but its still early days and should head in the right direction.
Iv also experienced some connectivity issues, but only every once in a while, so this isn't really a big concern.
Overall In my opinion if your interested in buying a smart watch, wait it out a little longer and get one when they have added more features!
Or take a look at the moto 360 when that become available!

5.0 out of 5 stars The future is Now, 7 July 2014
a.k. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LG G Watch - Black (Electronics)
I am into my first hour with the LG G and I am very impressed. Compared to my Pebble smartwatch this is a huge step forward.

I received my LG G and placed it in its cradle to boot-up (there are no physical buttons) it required 2 firmware updates (which didn't seem to work at first, kept pressing the tick button but nothing happened at first) and I'm all set. You'll need to install the Android Wear app from the Google Play store, so do that first.

It took barely a few minutes to get my head around the UI but now everything clicks. Discovered a few apps I have already support Wear, insofar as they have optimized cards for the Wear device, but remember that ALL notifications from your phone can be displayed. The Android Wear companion phone-app allows you to disable notifications per app if you find you're getting flooded.

Love the music controls but wish there was also volume. Also music controls sometimes don't appear if you stop a track via watch /start via phone but I'm sure this will be ironed-out. There's also a step counter, with history, that is part of the Wear OS, it looks great. Unlike the Samsung however this doesn't support heart-rate monitoring, but I chose the LG as it has a slighter bigger battery and ISN'T a Samsung.

This is a hugely impressive feature set for such a new product. I can finally BIN my awful Pebble!! Free at last!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›