5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite reads of the year so far.
I absolutely loved this book. I noticed when I was three chapters in that I was sitting with a big grin on my face. There are loads of laugh out loud moments, loads of moments which I could completely identify with and some special moments where I sat with tears streaming down my face. It stirred up many emotions for me.

Faye was adorable. I loved her...
Published 12 months ago by Kim The Book Worm

3.0 out of 5 stars fun chick lit
I enjoyed this "Shirley Valentine meets Bridget Jones" story about a 42-year old wife and mother of a newly-nest-flown child, going on a journey to rediscover herself and the joys of life which she has put aside in favour of being there for her family.

Faye's journey starts one day on her way to work at her salon in the Midlands (wonderfully named "Curl up and...
Published 4 months ago by Ms T

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite reads of the year so far., 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)

Faye was adorable. I loved her character. In fact, I thought I was her at some points of the book. And Dan! Well - if I ever meet him! The book really gave no clues as to how it was going to end, but I was very happy with the way it went.

A truly, truly wonderful read that I completely lost myself in. Delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE funniest book I've read in a while, 11 July 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
I read Sue’s last book Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes and made an instant decision when finished. Not only was I going to recommend it, I was absolutely convinced that if Sue Watson met me she would become my BFF! As it turned out we have since struck up an online friendship and she is one of the funniest women I have met recently. Her personality and humour shone through in a major way with her writing and had me laughing out loud. When I realised she had a new book out, I decided it would be a good time to get started.

With a rather lug cuppa and a few Jaffa Cakes I started to read. I need to point out that my week wasn’t going so well and at this particular point I felt like I could cry. Nothing was going right and murdering my husband had crossed my mind more than once! I figured that reading could let me escape for a few hours. What I hadn’t planned on was this book literally turning my rubbish mood into a great one. Faye Dobson, the lead character, opens the book describing a rather saucy scene involving a sun lounger in the sun washed hills of LA and a rather suave looking Ryan Gosling attending to her every need, before being rudely interrupted by her husband Craig. I knew without a doubt that this book was the perfect tonic. Faye was a brilliant character, and instantly I loved her. Her life has become somewhat mundane what with her eldest daughter Emma now living away from home and her life that remains involves looking after her husband and working.

Some of the scenes and one liner’s that emerged from just the first few chapters had me belly laughing. Sue has a wonderful knack of telling it just how it is. Faye’s dreams have along the way got lost with her day to day chores and responsibilities. Luckily for Faye a new Deli has opened up just down the road from the hairdressers and it has the most delicious man serving behind the counter. Dan the deli man as a character is just the sort of man that most women would love to have as a distraction first thing on a Monday morning commute (shame I’m not a hairdresser). In addition to Dan we meet Faye’s boss Sue who is just desperate to find a new man after her husband ran off with somebody younger, and the absolutely hilarious young girl Mandy who has all manner of ideas for Faye to try (including a legendary Vajazzle incident!).

This book is the modern day Shirley Valentine with a much funnier main character. Although it may not be everybody’s cup of tea it was certainly mine. Sue’s latest release is a wonderful journey packed full of just what the title says, Love, Lies and Lemon Cake. One of the funniest book I have had the pleasure of reading, this is a real must buy and one that I think the majority will love. The only criticism I have is that seeing as Sue is meant to be my new best friend, where was my ‘rushed early copy’? Sue…I may need to re-think your status as my new best friend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, Lies and Lemon Cake, 14 Aug. 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
Faye is in her forties and married to a plumber - the taciturn Craig. She is starting to think her whole life has been a mistake - apart from their beautiful, and now grown up daughter, Emma. Faye still likes her job at the hair and beauty salon where has has worked for many years but keeps wondering whether this is all there is to her life. Then she meets Dan at the deli where she starts buying he lunch time sandwich. Is this the wake up call she needs?

Funny, poignant and full of likeable and less than perfect people this is an entertaining light read which doesn't feature a twenty something beauty. Faye is all too human and she needs to feel she has achieved at least some of the things on her life list. How she goes about doing this makes for amusing reading. I did enjoy it though Faye's habit of opening her mouth and putting her foot in it most of the time did start to pall after a while and it was the reason why I don't feel I can give the book five stars.

But that is my only criticism of the book - and it may not irritate everyone. I liked the way the author mixed light hearted stuff with the more serious things in life. It was just the right mixture of laughter and tears and fitted my mood perfectly. I shall be watching out for other books by the author. I received a free copy of the book for review purposes from NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars I howled – literally howled – with laughter throughout this book, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
A big thank you to the lovely Bookouture for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

“Faye Dobson has lost her sparkle. Living on film star fantasies and vague memories of a marriage that once was, she can’t help feeling that life is passing her by. She dreams of being whisked to Paris for dinner, making three wishes at the Trevi fountain and having sex under the stars. But the wrinkles are multiplying, her husband’s passion is for plumbing, and the nearest she’ll get to Rome is a take-away pizza.

So when Faye meets Dan the gorgeous Australian surfer guy working in the local deli she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to see the world. He is blonde, tanned, ten years younger and bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Unlike her husband Dan actually listens to Faye, his smile makes her feel fizzy inside, and when he smiles… Oh. My. God.

But is Faye being silly? What would Dan see in someone like her? Even if he did have feelings for her, could she give everything up to be with him? “

I don’t think there was a thing about this book I didn’t love, so I’m going to have to be careful not to ramble on for this review. (Forgive me in advance if I do!)

Firstly, look at that cover. The second I saw it on NetGalley, I hit that request button as fast as physically possible, then crossed my fingers till it showed its pretty self on my shelf, beckoning to be read. It is just lovely.

My Stepmum happened to be reading this before I managed to get it, and her words were that it was ‘the first time I’ve laughed out loud at a book since the last Shopaholic.’ Now, her and I have been sharing books for a long, long time. She’s pretty much the only person I dare let read my own precious paperbacks, and I highly value her opinions – but nonetheless, that’s some pretty big shoes to fill, so I still found myself taking it with a pinch of salt. I really shouldn’t have doubted her though, because I howled – literally howled – with laughter throughout this book. The Mr had to actually check I was okay a few times, after I was nearly choking on my drink/spitting it out across the room in a fit of giggles. It. Was. Fantastic. He actually made me read out and explain a few bits to him because he wanted in on the fun, then we’d both sit there giggling about it (until I sent him away, because honestly, it’s rude to interrupt my reading!!)

Faye is just a wonderful main character. She’s a devoted mother and a neglected wife, but more than that she’s just a wonderful, loveable woman. She has absolutely no idea when to stop talking, in fact, the more nervous or awkward she gets, the more she blabbers on. I found myself begging her out loud to shut her mouth, and physically cringing when she didn’t, but oh, how my heart warmed to her. Her attempts to get a reaction out of her husband, Craig, were also simply brilliant.

Faye feels trapped in a life she never really wanted, with all her hopes and dreams tucked away in her pink rucksack from twenty odd years ago, leaving her fantasizing about Ryan Gosling, sunny beaches and New York rooftops. Now that their daughter, Emma, has left for university, there’s nothing to disguise the fact that Faye and Craig are living empty lives in a loveless marriage – merely residing in the same household, and you can’t help but feel for her.

Then comes Dan. Oh, Dan, Dan, Dan… I’ve long since passed the stage of feeling embarrassed about book crushes, but damn, did I fall for Dan. Sexy, Aussie dreamer with a lust for life (and maybe even for Faye?), he’s one of the finest men Chick Lit has to offer! Faye finds herself captivated by his zest for life and lemon cake (not to mention his beachy, blond hair, sparkling eyes and muscular arms…) and starts to wonder if maybe it’s not too late for her to live life the way she’s always wanted to after all.

Overall, it’s a delightful and hilarious story about taking control of your own life and following your dreams, that left me hugging my kindle to my chest with that warm, fuzzy feeling inside once I’d finished. I absolutely urge all chick lit lovers to read it at their earliest convenience.

Five big, gorgeous, whole-hearted stars to this wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow your dreams., 27 July 2014
I Love Reading "Vicki" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
A great change from my usual Crime fiction books.
But by god I enjoyed this. It was just a real good, fun, laugh out loud book.
Great Characters, that you instantly like. Maybe there is a bit of all of us in Faye. (well those of us that are 40+)
I found myself going off on this Journey with Faye, and all the time wanting a happy ever after. I love the way to book flows and end's. not your typical happy ever after but 2 people finding a way for a great relationship to work with what is best for them.

There comes a time in your life when you have to start to do things for yourself. And the time has come for Faye. She embraces her life and the new Faye emerges a better and happier person.

So get yourself a large drink, a large slice of Lemon cake sit back and read and enjoy.

I must say a big thanks to my fellow blogger friend Kat, who's review of this book made me want to read it. I'm so glad i did.
I think once pay day arrives I will be buying more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sue Watson is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors!, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
'Putting up' with your husband is not a marriage and 'getting on with it' is not a life.

Yet again, I am blown away by the sheer quality of Sue's writing, and after reading Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake back in December, it was an absolute must that I found my way to Love, Lies and Lemon Cake as soon as I had the chance.

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake was absolutely stunning, and trust me when I say that I'm not using the term lightly. It was evident in Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake that Sue was an artist with words, creating some of the most scrumptious descriptions I've come across, whether that be food, settings or her characters, and that truly remains in Love, Lies and Lemon Cake. Sue has such a gorgeous way with words, and I think I spent the majority of my time when reading the book unattractively salivating. It is these descriptions that whisked me away to the world within the pages. Every tiny thing was sprinkled with creative glitter, highlighting it and bringing whatever it was to the very front of my mind. Sue's writing style is effortlessly smooth and sleek, hypnotising almost, and it was incredibly easy for me to lose myself completely to the fictional world and people that I was being given.

In Love, Lies and Lemon Cake Sue introduces us to her heroine Faye Dobson. From the get go, it was strikingly obvious that Faye was not happy with her life, including her marriage to plumber Craig, a grumpy man who seemed to touch dishwashers and washing machines with more passion than he could muster up for his wife. As Sue opens the story, we're provided with a glittering scene, involving Ryan Gosling and Faye, relaxing on a sunlounger, sipping a martini beside a shimmering pool with the iconic Hollywood sign viewable in the distance. What surprised me was how disappointed I felt on Faye's behalf when I realised that she was daydreaming in the bathtub! As Craig begins to hammer on the bathroom door, interrupting Faye's glorious fantasy, it's back to the stark, dreary reality of what Faye's life acutally consists of. Written in first person narrative, Faye tells all; about the times she attempted to woo Craig into the bedroom, about the huge amount of time they'd spend not saying a single word to each other, and she described how it had begun to feel like they were more like siblings, rather than a married couple, simply sharing a home and avoiding each other. I felt, on Faye's behalf, worn-out by the routine, angry and frustrated, and utterly bored with her circumstances. It was the same thing every single day. Sue did such an excellent job of setting the tone with the opening of Love, Lies and Lemon Cake. Not only was it downright dismal, but I knew that if it was going to be started in this way, then it could only get better, and I fizzed with excitement at the thought of where Sue would take Faye Dobson next!

The only way is up, babyyyyy!
As Faye's story progressed, it just got better and better and better. What began as a miserable existence quickly turned into something exciting and I couldn't have raced through the story faster, even if I had wanted to. Faye's circumstances completely took on a life of their own, and I was gripping my Kindle for dear life with my eagerness to continue onwards. What I adored about Faye as a character was that she had once been a young girl with dreams and wishes and hopes. At one point near the beginning of the book, Faye slips into her absent daughter's room, who's away at university, and pulls down a backpack that she'd once stuffed away up there, out of sight, out of mind. Within that bag were items from a time in Faye's life when the world was, quite simply, her oyster. Back then, she could have done anything. In fact, her younger self had made a list...

"My Living List
Learn to Ice Skate
Lose 10 lbs
Make a wish at the Trevi Fountain in Rome (then ride a pistachio-green Vespa through the streets.)
Swim naked in the ocean
Drink champagne on a New York roof garden
See a Santorini Sunset
Eat macarons in a Parisian tea shop
Be a bride
Be a mum

When Faye found this list and looked upon what she'd wished for all those years ago, it absolutely touched my heart. It was such an emotional, bitter-sweet moment, and I felt a huge ache in my chest on Faye's behalf, fictional character or not. All those hopes and plans, everything that she'd wanted to do and see... all gone to waste, and never to be ticked off that list. Faye's past with Craig had consisted of agreeing to marriage for their daughter's sake, Emma, and as Faye looked back upon that list, I could practically feel the regret simmering as Faye stroked her finger along the paper. Not regret regarding her daughter of course, it was clear that Emma was the best thing that had ever happened to Faye, but regret that she'd allowed herself to give up on that list so easily, had turned away from it without a backward glance and decided that it was too late to make those dreams happen. At this point, I couldn't take it. What I adored was how Sue made me sit back and think about my own life. Of course, I'm not as far into life as Faye had been, I don't have a husband or any children, but it made me more determined than ever to get out there and enjoy my life. As Faye talked me through everything that had happened in her past, how she truly felt deep down inside, I realised that I just couldn't allow something like that to happen to myself. Faye's narration was absolutely beautiful, bursting at the seams with wisdom and guidance, and so damn much of it was quote-worthy. In fact, it made me well up a few times, too. Argh, look at me, I've rambled far too much here!

Faye's life really takes a turn for the better when she steps into the new deli in the street and sets her eyes upon the guy behind the counter. Young, sun-kissed, and in his thirties, Dan, well-travelled and from the sandy shores of Australia, is everything that Faye had wanted to be. To me, Dan had appeared in Faye's life at the perfect moment, just when things were beginning to become unbearable back home. Surrounded by exotic food, pink hams and juicy olives, the deli, in my mind, became a sort of sanctuary for Faye, a place where, as soon as she stepped through the doors, she became a different woman entirely. In front of Dan she was no longer a frumpy mother with a miserable husband, but a beautiful woman, sexy and attractive, someone who others would find appealing to the eye. I adored this transformation in Faye. Dan, too, was just what Faye needed. Rather than ignoring her habit of verbal diarrhoea, Dan would laugh and joke and actually, truly, appear interested in what she had to say, which was a far cry from Craig back home, who ignored her constantly. Dan really brought out a side to Faye that I felt hadn't been unearthed since her teenage years, and it was breathtaking to read. I think, from the moment that Faye wandered into that deli, overwhelmed by the scents and sights, something magical happened, and Faye decided to turn her life around, before it became too late.

As previously mentioned above, I do believe Sue Watson is a master of description. Everything that she writes makes me feel the same way that eating my favourite meal does, or sinking back into a hot, steamy bubble bath. It's indulgent, moreish, and so incredibly addictive that I completed Love, Lies and Lemon Cake in less than 24 hours. There was a strong, powerful message hidden within Sue's words. That no matter how old you are, nothing is impossible, and half of the time, it's your own fears and insecurities that hold you back from achieving your wildest dreams. Everything about this book was perfection. The settings, the circumstances, the dramas, the narrative... Faye Dobson was a woman who, if she hadn't have been fictional, I'd have loved to have her autograph and hear her tell her story over and over again.

Becca's Books is rating Love, Lies and Lemon Cake by Sue Watson with five delicious cupcakes! I love this author. Absolutely, utterly adore her. I don't think Sue Watson is capable of disappointing me, and that's the truth. From the Curl Up and Dye salon where Faye works, all the way Santorini, this book is a must-read for everybody!

(Provided via publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review)

5.0 out of 5 stars You had me at lemon cake!!!, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
This novel was my first by Sue Watson but it won’t be my last. Reading it was as warming and enjoyable as snuggling up in front of an open fire, with a mug of hot chocolate, wrapped in the arms of the one you love.
Sue Watson captures the reader from the first page with her funny, warm, emotional style. Love, Lies and Lemon Cake is a poignant tale of getting older and what happens to a forty-something woman when her marriage has turned stale and her beloved child has flown the nest.
The story is fabulous and I was rooting for Faye Dobson all the way, especially whenever she saw sexy, Australian hunk Dan – a very hot younger man! Faye’s runaway mouth is hysterical (especially whenever she’s near Dan) and I cringed with her as she talked herself into some sticky situations. However, it is lovely to see how Dan reacts to her and how she begins to see herself differently through his eyes. Faye’s character is offset by a host of secondary characters such as her loveable yet unlucky-in-love boss who comes with her own set of problems and amusing idiosyncrasies.
I have to warn you though, reading this book could seriously increase your appetite. Sue Watson’s descriptions of food were absolutely divine! Faye makes regular visits to the deli where Dan works and with her vivid descriptions of sundried tomatoes, freshly baked bread and an array of cheeses, I was positively drooling – over Dan too, I have to add.
This is a novel to lift your spirits and to lose yourself in. It proves an addictive read and I was excited every time I sat down with it because I couldn’t wait to find out what would happen next.
Love, Lies and Lemon Cake made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me start thinking about making my own living list…

5.0 out of 5 stars A big, satisfying slice of life, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
Sue Watson's writing is witty, sassy and downright laugh-out-loud hilarious! Her characters spring off the page and come to life, from Faye's outrageous friends in the salon (who prove to her that you're never too old for a vajazzle) to her plumber husband (who has a closer relationship with the boilers in his life than he does with his wife). I cheered Faye on as she discovered her own true self again and ticked off a few items on her Living List along the way, proving that, whatever life throws at you, you can't keep a good woman down. As deliciously bittersweet as a big slice of lemon cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - if only I had lemon cake to go with it!, 28 April 2015
Absolutely brilliant. I'm afraid I devoured it in one sitting, because I just couldn't put it down, I wanted to know what happened to Faye. This book had me proper laughing and my family asking me what I was laughing at. I also cried too. Its very emotional in places. I have a queue of people wanting to borrow this book. Sue Watson is a great writer and had me hooked from the first few lines. Being a 'woman of a certain age' I can relate to the situations within the book and intend to have my own 'living list'. Don't think twice about getting this book, do it, it really is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read you won't want to miss! 💛🍋, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake (Kindle Edition)
The title of this super fun book drew me straight in! I absolutely love Lemon cake, and the love and lies part were totally intriguing, what more could I want. This is a book that definitely does not disappoint, I could not put it down.

This is a story about Faye Dobson, a hairdresser, married to a passionless plumber, living in middle England. But her dreams are exactly the opposite to her reality, made of magical romances, travels to Paris and Rome. Making love under the sparkling stars. Unfortunately her husband is more interested in the tv remote control than spending anytime with Faye.

Life looks like it will never get any better until Faye meets Dan who works at the local delicatessen. Dan is a breathe of fresh air, a true Australian surfer dude; blonde, tanned, ten years younger than Faye and if that wasn't enough, Dan bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Dan brings Faye the ray of lemony sunshine, the excitement she has been looking for. When Dan smiles Faye gets butterflies in her stomach, he even listens to what she has to say, the man and the excitement she has been longing for all her life is at her very doorstep, but is it another dream or is this for real?

I will not give too much away but lets just say you will want to know what happens with Faye and Dan!

If you are looking for a real laugh out loud, yet extremely realistic book, with a real woman character as the central focus, this is the book for you. I totally loved Faye's character.

Sue Watson is the author of this fun, cute and in places deep book. It is chick lit in a way but in a deeper sense of the classification. The ways she explores the feelings of Faye's character are very well explained. I love the way Sue writes as it just seems to flow so well. Her style is a lot like one of my all time favourite author's - Jane Green. A book I would totally recommend to anyone looking for a laugh, cry and great read.

I am definitely reading another book by Sue Watson very soon, I've got my eye on 'Younger, thinner, blonder'!

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake