on 28 December 2014
There was something about the story that made me want to turn the pages but the ending was disappointing, not an unreasonable scenario, it simply came too soon, so much more could have been made of it.
on 12 July 2014
the story was a good short read but very confusing at the end. a village is at risk and a new comer tries to save it whilst running from an alleged abusive relationship. make up your own mind after you have read it.
on 30 July 2014
This book hooked on to me and I couldn't read one chapter as I then felt the need to read the next.
This book has the main things needed for a good read as the events were very realistic. However at the end of the book there was a big twist about the the real events to how Vivian and Rosie got to ivory meadows, I knew things weren't going to be as they seemed but the truth was bigger the I expected.
I gave this book a four star as I believe it has been a very good read but not the best book. I believe it is worth to read as it is a free book after all.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a very natural realistic story with a twist. I believe it can be read by all ages as, as it is understandable.
This book is very mysterious as it shows not everything is as it seems.
I feel very sorry for Bill as it is obvious he has feelings for Vivian and could not express them. I would also like more to the ending as it doesn't shows what happens next. I want to know: Do they stay there as a family? and, Do they tell everyone there names?
Overall I would recommend this book to family and friends, even though I believe the film "safe heaven" is very similar.
on 8 July 2014
Once I started reading, I found "The Garden of Stars" hard to put down. I read the whole book over a rainy weekend. Zoe's powers of description are brilliant and I could easily imagine myself living in such a perfect setting.
As with any good read, there is a nice little twist at the end
on 10 July 2014
Garden of Stars is a very readable exploration of one woman's story when she arrives in an idyllic English town. But of course, her story hasn't started there, and her saviour complex and compartmentalising turn out to be a reaction to things that have gone before. As we get to know Vivian, we become more and more intrigued about her past story and we have to wait right until the end to find out the extent to which she has been reacting to previous trauma. There is a lovely strand woven through this book about magic, or at least about two women who see beyond the physical world, and know there is more to this life than that which we can touch or see. Garden of Stars also shows how easy it is for groups to reject women who do not conform to their expectations, and how afraid powerful people are of women who won't be put into a box.This is a story of the complex dynamics in a small town which become even more obvious in the face of a crisis. Greed, self centredness and modernising, are set against the values of tradition, community spirit and care. This is perfect summer reading.
on 16 July 2014
What a fantastic book, so enjoyable and very gripping, imagining yourself in the centre of the wonderful descriptions of places, people and situations. A really surprising end, explaining all - definately DON'T read the last page before reading the whole story. Lovely story Zoe Chamberlain, look forward to the next one!!
on 23 January 2015
This is a very readable book - an un-put-down-able book to be enjoyed over sparkling wine and chocolate truffles!
Zoe Chamberlain should continue to write novels that lift the soul at the same time as tackling community concerns that beset contemporary life.
on 11 August 2015
This novel was a joy to read! I wasn't sure if it was my kind of read but it simply hooked me from the start and I read it over two evenings. The characterisation is wonderful and at the end wanted to stay in the community Zoe has brought to life. It's a mix of genres so give it a go...you won't be disappointed!
on 20 July 2014
A great read from start to finish - I found it hard to put the book down and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. I loved the hint of magic added throughout and all the twists and turns the story took. Excellent read for my summer holiday.
on 10 July 2014
What a fantastic read! From the prologue to the final page, I was gripped. I cannot find fault with this brilliant book, the characters are great, the descriptions are so well written and I did not see that ending coming. I can't wait for the next book by Zoe Chamberlain