on 16 August 2014
I bought this kettle after having 2 leaking brand new kettles from a better known brand and I'm really pleased with it.
Its squat wide body is appealing and stylish and it performs well, boiling quickly and comparatively quietly.
The handle is comfortable and it also pours well.
I was wary buying a brand I had not heard of before or seen anywhere but the 2 year guarantee swayed it and I'm glad I bought it. There may be more Andrew James appliances in the kitchen before long!
0Comment36 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2014
It looks great and boils water while blue lights glow... very very exciting... in fact, when i turn the kettle on i hum the star trek theme music to myself... boldly making tea in a stylish and rapid manner that tea has never been made before...

Brilliant
22 comments62 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2014
fantastic i am going to order another one for a spare.i love andrew james goods they are always very good quality
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 January 2016
Note: The maker supplied a review sample for evaluation, the opinion of the product is my own personal view

This is part of a collection from the maker that includes a toaster and coffee maker all 3 have the same visual appearance black with a chrome trim it's visually straight forward but adds a bit of class to the normal plain colour and from a practical angle white is a disaster for marks and dirt showing so the choice of colour scheme is a winner in my books.

The kettle is mostly constructed from heavy duty plastics there are some metal parts though including the rim around the top (stainless steel) and the trim near the lights at the bottom. For obvious reasons the chrome effect on the handle is plastic heat transferring to a metal handle would be a very bad idea for the same reason the silver power tab is also plastic, it looks close to the actual metal hopefully it will hold up to use. Capacity is 1.7 litres with a front filter which can be removed this is important in harder water areas where lime scale can build up to filter it out worth cleaning out the kettle every so often if you have this problem soft water areas will find much less of an issue here.

Blue LED lights around the bottom when it's powered on it does look nice and more modern thanks to this though the performance of the kettle is probably the key area of concern. At 3KW this is a fast boil kettle around 3 minutes filled up to max capacity. One point to note here and I was guilty of this for years is if you are only making a few cups just fill it up enough to match that if you boil a full kettle every time it's a waste of energy and you'll save money too.

Cable is wrapped around the base inside pull this out and it takes a few days to lose the curved shape it's a fairly thick cable as it has to be due to the higher power drain. The base unit allows rotation of the kettle 360 degrees so it's not necessary to angle it or turn it around. The kettle sits firmly on the base no wobbling be it empty or full I'm quite happy with the construction and design. The markings for the water level are in the handle area some might prefer a more obvious location but it matches the look and minimalist design well. Top section has a push button mechanism the lid partially opens pressing this you can pull it completely open if you want.

No obvious faults on this one materials are excellent and the styling is refined, it's fast to boil and the thermostat cuts off perfectly, though this model doesn't have an adjustable boiling temperature it's not really a must have for me. Top marks all round on this one
review image review image review image review image review image
NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.

This fast boil cordless kettle arrived very nicely boxed (ideal for gifting) and with an included instruction booklet. Not that you really need one with a kettle in my opinion, you just rinse it out prior to its first use, fill it up (minding the max. fill line clearly visible) and switch it on and if you are like me, you’ll then stand back and admire the look of the blue LED lights that light up at the base of the kettle! I like it!! Very pretty and looks fabulous teamed with the jet black and chrome design of the kettle. If design matters to you, I think you’ll like the look of this model.

The kettle comes complete with a 360' Swivel Base and a decently long cord which conveniently wraps around and under under the base so there is no loose cord, tis reducing the risk of kitchen accidents. The cord is very thick and the 3-pin UK approved plug means its good to go out of the box.

I love that this kettle has boil dry protection!! I’ve made that mistake before to my cost. I was rather anxious as I tested this feature out, as by the time I tried it, I’d already been using my kettle many times and liked it a lot, it also looked fabulous stood in the vicinity of the matching slow cooker from the same range. I didn’t want to break it! I hope that feature worked as I held my breath. It did, I am relieved to say, so if you do forget to fill enough water to reach the minimum level on the indicator, it won’t switch on - the element won’t heat and you won’t trash your new kettle. Neat feature!

The base has non-slip feet and the kettle is so easy to place on the base and remove I could do it blindfolded. There is a thumb-push button on the top of the handle. Use your thumb to push that towards you and the lid opens automatically, so you can fill her up easily.

Its pretty fast to boil too! I filled it up to the max and set my kitchen timer, its 3000W of power ensuring a fast and furious boil within just a few minutes. That was for the full 1.7L too! Though for saving energy you can just fill this kettle with enough water to just make a single cup of tea. I do that often, if I’m not making tea for several people. I don’t like wasting energy nor do I like paying electricity bills :)

The matt black finish and the blue indicator lights look gorgeous to be honest and even better when I just have my under cupboard lights on and its dark and miserable outside. I think you are going to like this kettle as much as I do. This kettle matches the slow cooker and toaster I was also sent to review and together the set has transformed the look of my kitchen. Everything is matching now :)

Another feature I like is that as soon as the water has reached boiling point it switches off promptly! So lots of steam isn’t filling the area where you stand your kettle.

Its a great kettle and I am now using it, that says it all really.

I highly Recommend this!

10/10 for Speed of Boil, Capacity, Design, Ease of Use, Love those blue lights!!
review image review image review image review image
on 11 September 2014
This is a nice quality kettle and does the job well.The packing and delivery was spot on.One thing in the write up it doesn't mention the water level indicator which does exist,sadly it is where the handle is,having said that I would recommend.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2014
Great kettle, looks very smart and has a quality feel to it. I looked at many pricier kettle's before buying this and so pleased I decided on this one. Oh it makes a great brew too. Also check out the other items in the range, all good quality and look great together. .
on 30 December 2014
Following the failure of our last kettle we looked for a replacement that was large enough for a family and I looked at lots of options. This kettle is well made from a durable single skin plastic (so does get hot) and although I prefer switches on the top rather than the base, this kettles switch is actually well placed under the handle and doesn't protrude too much (as some do which make them easy to catch inadvertently). We've had this for a few months and it's used several times a day so has been put through it's paces.

The Kettle holds a useful 1.7 Litres (3 Pints) and boils very rapidly. The blue light around the base looks stylish, isn't too bright and can be seen from any angle. The water level is easy to see with a clear level gauge behind the handle. The non-slip feet keep the kettle securely on the worktop and there's no rattling when it boils as we've had with some kettles. With the kettle full I timed the kettle to take 4 mins 10 secs from pushing the button to it cutting out. A full boil was reached 12 seconds before the auto cut-out took effect.

My wife thinks this is probably the best kettle we've ever had (and we've had a few).

I've bought a few items from the Andrew James range and I have to say that so far they've always been good value with a focus on functionality and good engineering. This is no exception.
0Comment37 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2015
Plastic taste won't go away. We've boiled it dozens of times. Have also soaked with bicarbonate of soda. Kettle is unusable as you can't drink any water that's been boiled in it as the taste is so bad.
11 comment16 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2015
Recently bought this kettle as it seemed like a pretty decent looking one, however in the questions section it clearly states that to get rid of the "plastic" taste to the water you have to boil it twice, we have boiled it many more times than that and the water still tastes like plastic, have sent in for a refund but i have no idea if i will get it. stay away from this kettle, don't trust all the high reviews.