on 26 June 2014
I find that there are two types of books I read. There are the ones that I start reading, I like them, and every time I go back to where I left, it's like picking up a conversation with an old friend. Then there are the books I really like, the ones I absolutely love, the ones I miss throughout the day, and I can't wait to go back to them because I miss that conversation, that dialogue, that story that I was being told. Cupid's Way falls into this second category.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I loved so much about this novel, as I guess it's everything. The setting is very English, the idea of saving a Victorian street in Bristol is so endearing, especially to a non-British person like me. Then there are the characters, each of them beautifully depicted, I could imagine them as if they were standing in front of me, and Evie and Michael, the main protagonists, ah, I loved both of them, even if they were on opposite sides of the fence. I wanted to scream at them at times and just say "come on guys, find a way to work it out" but it was out of my control. And Evie's grandparents, they're so much like any grandma and grandpa, I mean, you just want to take them home with you.

The plot is full of surprises and twists, you just never knew how it's going to end.
I was really taken by Cupid's Way and I just wanted it to go on forever. I hope the author finds a way to write a sequel.
Evie is on the train, on her way to deliver a talk at the Go Green conference on behalf of her architecture employer. Inference is there is something draining in her life with bags under her eyes and she is so tired.

Falling asleep, she misses her stop and has to get off at the next one and make her way back.

Checking in to Reception, there’s another attendee there, Michael. After the rudeness of the receptionist, Michael is polite and helpful. She finds out he’s been sent to see if she’s arrived. For Evie, this is the first speech she’s done and with Michael telling her that others have been eaten alive, she’s not feeling confident. However, as soon as her eyes meet Michael’s in the lecture hall, the message she reads there boosts her and she manages to deliver.

Refreshingly, the conflict between the two leads starts early in the story. There is no drawn out will they won’t they. The attraction between them is sizzling from the very beginning and although they can’t stay out of each other’s way with Michael leading the development and Evie leading the residents, it’s the morals and conflict of Cupid’s Way that for me, overrode their attraction for the majority of the story. With Evie staying with her grandparents after the meeting, we also get to know the residents quite well. This meant I identified with this community of people and was on their side from the beginning.

There’s intrigue with Evie as she’s not telling the truth about something (she has her own secret to hide), intrigue with her gran and also I had questions about another resident. I had my suspicions as something just didn’t ring true …

I disliked Evie’s boss Julia. What a bitch! Of course she’s totally insecure. Evie’s epiphany was fabulous :)

I felt the turmoil of the residents – stay and fight for their dilapidated homes with no central heating/double glazing or accept the extra money and move into new homes that need very little maintenance. With another developer McAllisters suddenly on the scene, things look as if they could get even worse.

The resident’s idea was brilliant! Watching this brought tears to my eyes, it was so poignant. I wasn’t sure whether Evie would participate in Michael’s office … I had tears rolling down my face!

Perfect ending to a fabulous read.

I enjoyed the pace of the story and loved the characters. Cupid’s Way is full of heart and warmth. The cover (which I love) expresses the story beautifully.
Evie Stone is set to give an important talk at an event, but of course it is one of those days where everything just seems to go wrong and she’s running late. Thankfully, a handsome stranger named Michael is there to help her out and Evie immediately feels a connection between the two of them. However, Evie has other things on her mind. Her grandparents Mavis and Frank have lived in a Victorian street named Cupid’s Way in Bristol for many years, but the council has decided to knock all the houses on Cupid’s Way down. The residents can’t believe they are about to lose the place they love so much and where they made so many memories. Evie wants to do anything she can to save Cupid’s Way, but when she discovers the enemy, the CEO of Dynamite Construction, is a familiar face, things start to get tricky...

I can’t believe it took me so long to be introduced to Joanne Phillips’ work, because I adored this novel and fell in love with Joanne’s writing style. The book has a great storyline which I thoroughly enjoyed and a lovely leading lady, Evie, whom it was incredibly easy to warm to. Evie is on a mission to save her grandparents’ house on Cupid’s Way and I was really curious to see whether they would eventually be able to save Cupid’s Way from the hands of the council or not. Next to that, Evie has her own troubles, resulting in enough different aspects to keep track of which resulted in me not wanting to put the book down.

Next to Evie, the novel is filled with a brilliant mix of secondary characters. There’s Michael, the handsome and charming stranger Evie meets at the beginning of the book; Evie’s grandparents Mavis and Frank who you can’t help but develop a soft spot for; and all the other neighbours on Cupid’s Way with their own story to tell. Joanne Phillips has managed to write a thoroughly enjoyable book with a great storyline and a lovely cast of characters, and I already look forward to reading more of her work. Overall, ‘Cupid’s Way’ is a charming, captivating and simply amazing read which I definitely recommend to chick lit fans; you’ll love it!
on 29 June 2014
Evie has only one job to do, make a presentation at the conference for the firm she works for. When she messes up, again, the only friendly person who is there for her is Michael, a gorgeous guy she meets at the conference. They talk, drink, spend the night together (not in same bed). Next morning, Evie gets a phone call from her grandparents. Their home in Cupid's Way is in danger. A big firm is trying to buy the whole street and build a medical center. The lovely Victorian terrace is a home of many different people, young and old couples, some weird, some funny, all very unique. They all have one thing in common, they love their homes in Cupid's Way. And that big firm that is trying to kick them out is represented by no one else but Michael, Evie's little crush from the conference.

Cupid's Way is a warm story for family, friends, love and heritage. It is a story for fighting for what you believe in, not just ordinary romcom. Evie is such an adorable character, she is the lovely girl from the neighborhood. Her grandparents are her entire family and she would do anything for them. She is so clumsy from time to time, and always puts herself in such ridiculous situations, she'll make you smile most of the time. Her grandparents are the most adorable old couple I've ever seen. They fight all the time, but they love each other so much. They raised Evie, and as much as she would do anything for them, they would do anything for her, even if that means playing matchmakers and interfering in her love life.

What I really liked here was Ms. Philllips' style of writing. All her characters are so unique and so adorable. (I used the word "adorable" too many times in this review, but that's how I feel about this book). The fight for the Cupid's Way has many turnovers, these people don't give up easily. This story is anything but predictable. So, I'll be definitely be in search of other Ms.Phillips' books, because I enjoyed this one and would recommend it to anyone who loves romantic stories.

My opinion: 4.5 / 5.
on 16 April 2015
Cupid's Way is a cosy romance set in Bristol, UK. Evie Stone is due a couple of weeks holiday where she'll help her Grandparents attend a meeting about the future of their house. But first she must give a talk at a Go Green Conference for her boss in Cardiff. She's late because she fell asleep on the train and she arrives flustered.

A lovely man called Michael finds her in reception and helps her arrive in time to present her lecture on "Cladding For The Cost Conscious". With a storm blowing in, trains are shut down and Evie spends the night in the hotel bar with Michael. There's a spark between them which is still there at breakfast next morning, until Michael abruptly leaves.

Later Evie attends a planning meeting with Frank and Mavis and the other residents of Cupid's way. Their homes are under threat from a developer. The council want to build a much needed medical centre and the residents are being offered a financial reward to move home.

Evie is shocked and angry when she finds that Michael is the CEO of Dynamite Construction, the developer working to take away her Grandparent's home. Feeling let down by Michael, Evie put aside her personal feelings for him and promises to help in any way she can to stop the plans to demolish Cupid's Way.

An easy read with a gentle romance.
on 4 August 2014
Evie Stone is determined to save the Victorian terraced street her grandparents live in. But things get complicated when she meets the CEO of the developers, Michael Andrews. They're immediately attracted to each other. Can Evie and Michael even have a relationship? And can Cupid's Way be saved?

I thought this was a lovely, well told romance with a difference, the difference being the numerous memorable characters who populate Cupid's Way, not least Evie's grandparents. I thought the author portrayed all the characters so well, they were all unique and interesting. I especially liked the character of Evie's grandmother who was funny and infuriating all at the same time.

The two main characters, Evie and Michael, were well drawn too and I found myself rooting for Evie especially all the way through - as you're meant to but this never felt forced. I thought the opening was great and the story unfolded gradually, making me wonder how exactly things would turn out for the characters I liked so much.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a lighthearted romance.
on 25 July 2014
If you enjoy a British drama with romance and a feel good ending this is the story for you.

I enjoyed the style of writing and read it quickly. The characters were interesting and it had that TV drama tension many love - innocent locals versus the blood-thirsty corporates!

Personally, it was all too sugar coated in the end - I like good endings, but this one was too predictable for me.

Either way, an easy summer read...
on 1 July 2014
I would like to thank author for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

We meet Evie as she is on the train to go to a conference in Cardiff, one disaster after another and she arrives late for the speech she is giving. This is where she meets Michael Andrews the CEO of Dynamite Construction, little does she know that in less than 24 hours they will be on the opposite side of Cupids Way fence.

Cupids Way is a row of Victorian Terraces in Bristol, there is a real sense of community about this area, it is also where Evie grew up with here Grandparents.

I loved Joanne's writing and not just because she has the same name as me lol, I really cared about all the wonderful residents in Cupids Way, they have a spirit and sense of community about them from Mavis and Frank, Stig, Sarah and Tim. I even felt sorry for Zac having been played by his uncle and then blamed by the other residents.

We didn't get to see much of Evie's and Michaels relationship but that didn't detract from the book in my opinion in made the book better that it wasn't solely focused on the will they, won't they, that so many novels focus on.

I really would love to read more from this author.
on 30 June 2014
I enjoyed this book from the very first page. I thought Evie was a delightful character, feisty and genuinely good. I loved Mavis and Frank, her grandparents and the strong relationship she had with them. I cried when I found out why Mavis didn't want to leave the house, feeling her emotions deep inside of me. Michael, I thought was a great character too, and I really enjoyed the sparky moments between him and Evie.

The way that the book was written felt like even the characters that didn't have such a big part, were perfectly developed, easily imaginable and absolutely integral and necessary for the plot to flow.

This is a story about people fighting for what they believe in and to keep their memories alive and doing whatever it takes to make that happen. The fact that the ending was happy-ever-after made it all the more delightful for me. I do love a happy ending!

I've read and enjoyed all of Jo's books but I definitely think that this is her best one yet. Her writing seems to have developed into something more over the years I've been reading her work.

A really great read Joanne, well done!
on 28 October 2014
I usually start to read a new book a little panicky as wether it is great or not I have to finish it, but with this book I knew half way down the first page this was going to be in the great category.
It set off at a great rate building the characters up nicely so there was no confusion over who was who, the plot slowly built with a few twists here and there. But overall was a really nice community read, cupids way is where Evies nan and grandad have lived all their lives with hidden secrets that have never been spoken about and a lot of other neighbours who battle against having the street demolished for a hospital to be built on.
I thoroughly enjoyed this and will look out for more books by Joanne Phillips in the future.