5.0 out of 5 stars Love me some Preternatural Affairs!
Published 6 months ago by So, I Read This Book Today

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay.
Published 9 months ago by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay., 28 Jun. 2014
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hotter Than Helltown: An Urban Fantasy Mystery (Preternatural Affairs Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
This novel is the third in the Preternatural Affairs series. I read a lot of urban fantasy so jumping into an established series is not normally a problem for me and this one certainly gave me no trouble with understanding the premise and the characters. I just didn't enjoy the book enough to continue with the series or catch up on what came before. The magic involved is pretty much paper thin with a main character that doesn't seem to know a whole lot about how to manipulate that magic. Does he even know what he is capable of doing? It certainly didn't seem like he did and his utilization of magic during the big climactic event left me thinking it had happened more by accident or luck than intent.

Cesar Hawke is the main character in this novel and yet he felt like the weakest of all the characters that surround him. He definitely did not seem like an alpha male in personality type or in magical ability. Cesar remained weak for me, the one who had to be given help with magic he needed to perform. I also had trouble picturing him as a man in my thoughts and only when it was necessary for him to rely on physical muscularity did his masculinity seem as if it really played a prominent role while Cesar's boss, Fritz Friederling, had strong male gender characterization. Even Helltown was a disappointment since the location appeared to me to be under-utilized as a frightening location and too close to normal during a lot of the action.

I received an ARC of this novel through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love me some Preternatural Affairs!, 13 Sept. 2014
Ah! César and friends are back again – and this time, his murder case may just kill him. That is, if his boss doesn’t kill him first. After the action in the second in the Preternatural Affairs series, Silver Bullet, César is in big trouble. He used a cell phone he shouldn’t have, and the VP of the Office of Preternatural Affairs is out for César’s guts – literally. And if César doesn’t pass his Aspis exam, to become Shield to Director Fritz Friederling, she just might have said guts for garters.

Could things get worse? Well, sure they can! For there is a vicious demon on the loose, a demon strong enough to kill a Kopis by simply being in the area. With more bodies dropping, all brutally savaged, the race is on as César, his partner Suzy, Isobel the necrocognitive, and Fritz all scramble to find the demon. A demon who may be unkillable.

As always, Reine does a wonderful job of writing a tight narrative that keeps you on the edge of your seat, using a level of creativity that I truly admire. There is terror and blood, but also a great deal of subtle humor in Reine’s works. I enjoyed the first two in the series, and can hardly wait for Sara’s next César book!

Highly recommended. If you haven’t read the first two, I would suggest reading them first. They are really good books, but if you haven’t read them, you can catch up easily enough in this volume. However, it won’t be nearly as much fun!

I received Hotter Than Helltown from the publisher in return for a realistic review. All thoughts are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hotter Than Helltown, 18 Aug. 2014
Evampire (Gonzales, LA USA) - See all my reviews
Agent Cesar Hawke is on another case, a killer is mutilating bodies in Los Angeles and with questions piling up and the killings getting more brutal even the most evil demons in Helltown are afraid of the murderer in this intriguing paranormal case.

The story has a steady to fast paced and smooth flowing plot that keeps readers on their toes. The author brings the story to life with well written scenes and details that capture the imagination and the well orchestrated drama and suspense draw the reader deeper into the story while the danger sends chills down the spine. The strong compelling characters are easily related to, grab the reader’s attention and charm readers with their own special brand of humor.

Cesar doesn’t always follow the book and comes up with some unusual means of solving the crime and he’s about to find out that the murderer isn’t black and white either. There are quite a few twists and turns that keep the readers guessing and lots of chuckles as the reader gets caught up in the drama and mystery of the case. And let’s not forget about Isobel and Suzy who add their own brand of fun and drama to the story and to Cesar’s life, which adds depth and spice to the story and we also get to know a little more about the characters.

S. M. Reine creates enjoyable and entertaining worlds with her special spin that freshen up the story and gives them a fun but serious feel. I have to say I am going to have to go back and read the second book in this series because I somehow missed it, but lucky for me it wasn’t hard to catch on to where the characters are at. I will say however that this one was a little harder for me to get into at the beginning than the first one, but once I got past that point everything picks back up and gets going strong as ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read for lovers of paranormal and mystery., 27 Oct. 2014
Reviewed by Lynn
Disclosure: This ebook was provided by the author in exchange for an HONEST and not necessarily positive review.

Cesar Hawke an agent with the Office of Preternatural Affairs has a new case. What a way to start a Saturday. Then he gets to spend time with agent Suzy Takeuchi, who's sassy, mouthy, and one of the guys. Can it get any better than this? After getting in trouble with the OPA, Cesar needs to take his aspis approval test to get out of trouble. How can he possible study when people are turning up dead. Now they have bodies showing up missing body parts, eyes here, a nose there and always missing a heart. He doesn't mind chasing down bad witches or demons going bad, but he doesn't do the blood and guts well.

This book is part of the Preternatural Affairs series. They are standalone reads or can be read as a series. Cesar is funny. He is whiny, thinks he is a bad witch and gets sick at the sight of blood. Suzy is rough and tumble, and loves giving Cesar a hard time, pretty much about anything. The story moves along at a good pace and the action keeps you turning pages. The main story is about the case and how they solve it. The secondary story is Cesar learning that he is a better witch than he gives himself credit for. A wonderful read for lovers of paranormal and mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 5 Mar. 2015
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I started to read this book I had to stop after the first chapter and purchase the first two in the series and read them first. I have a weird quirk, I can't start reading a series part way through, I have to start at the beginning. And what a great series this is.

Agent Cesar Hawke is trying to track down a murderer who is capable of clearing the minds of the dead so there is no way for him to find out what they last saw even with the help of a specialist. Soon enough he finds himself on the trail of the killer and even though that trail heads into Helltown, the bad guys there are scared of this killer.

When his boss is kidnapped, he works out why people are being killed, what is doing the killing and the reason why his boss has been taken. With the help of a medium, he tracks down his boss and in the process of rescuing him, he ends up bonding with him.

There is quite a lot I could say about this book but I don't want to give away any details. I will say that it is a fast-paced read with a great storyline, wonderful characters and witty one-liners.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Urban Fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing writer and the best cesar book yet!, 15 Oct. 2014
Wow wow wow, another amazing book in this series, may just be the best yet, sara pulls you into this story as with her other books you are immersed in the world, cesar may just be on his most deadly case yet along with izzy whos story is also unveiled in this book, a must read if you've read the others in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome read from SM Reine, 15 July 2014
I enjoyed this book so much. So many seamless references to the rest of SM Reine's universe. Cesar is funny and flawed and a great narrator. There is more to Fritz than meets the eye I think! Can't wait for the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 9 July 2014
I enjoyed this book, the characters were amusing and the story flowed well.

This isn't the first book in the series and I haven't read the previous, I still managed to enjoy and pick up on characthers personalities.

I do prefer some romance with my paranormal reads, but this series is a recommended read if you fancy something different from romance with a main characther that doesn't take himself to serious.

3.75 stars

**i received an arc for an honest review**

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem, 30 Jun. 2014
The problem with the book is it's too damned short lol. The characters get better and more developed with each book and I can't wait for the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and realistic in the character portrayals..., 28 Jun. 2014
With a supernatural killer and killer characters, SM Reine has written a fantastically magical book. Having not read the first two books in this series I had a little difficulty at the beginning of the book with understanding the set-up of the story – It was definitely worth persevering with the book though as the story comes alive. Cèsar is a wonderfully written main character that shows a naivety in his capabilities that makes him appear more realistic. Not liking blood and bodies made for an entertaining twist and many times I found myself smiling at the antics occurring between the lines written.

Although you can easily read this book as a stand-alone novel I would suggest reading the series in order to enable the reader to follow the flow of the story-line easier.